Just how bad is the MDR steak?

Natitude61

I have given up on the steak in the MDR. The Prime rib is usually fine, but I have stopped ordering the steak because I was usually disappointed. There are plenty of other very good selections on the menu, just don't pick the steak. RCCL does a good job in many areas, but a good steak isn't on of those areas.

Just off the Mariner! Prime rib, lamb, and duck were excellent in the MDR. As someone said, the steak the last night was awful. But any other beef offerings were pretty good for the rest of the 9 night cruise. I toyed with ordering the Chops filet but never had to do so and was pretty happy with what I got instead (except for the steak the last night). We did go to Chops one night (of course!) and it was awesome! Never went hungry that is for sure! Wish I could have one of those rolls right now!

The steak on the alternative menu does not taste like steak. In fact, it does not taste like anything, just tasteless & tough. You would be better off chowing down on an old leather handbag. And, don't forget to load on the steak sauce because you will need it! On the other hand, there is no accounting for taste. One of my tablemates from GB on a recent cruise ate it with gusto - for 2 weeks straight! Even the waiter was astonsihed & said "You really like this??. It was hard for the rest of us to keep a straight face. I agree, the prime rib is better. Like another poster I would recommend you always order down to get the right degree of "doneness." (eg want medium, order median rare.) I've orderd the "Chops" filet on a night when there was nothing else appealing on the menu. It was huge & I could not finish it. Not a good substitute who the Chops experience & all of the other goodies they offer, not very tender & tasty. I always try the specialty restaurants & think they are a great bargain compared to a meal @ home in a fine dining restaurant @ home. Have not tried the lamb shanks as there is no "in-between" with lamb, It is either good or awful. However, I will try it on an upcoming cruise.

The mass market cruise lines feed thousands of people on a budget that ranges between $7.50 (NCL) & $12-15 on the other lines. (food cost only) Don't think we could do as well @ home. To me, any meal I do not have to cook, that is served to me & I don't have to clean up after is OK. If there is nothing on the menu that appeals to me I will order 3 appetizers & a salad. I would agree,however, food quality has gone down across the board. The windjammer is the worst. Many of the dishes are not recognizable let alone edible. I think they must use a lot of leftovers from the MDR & try to turn them into something else. The beef they use @ the carvery looks good but is a tasteless & a challenge to chew. The handburgers taste like overcooked hockey pucks & the hot dogs are boiled & do not taste like hotdogs. Think they may be chicken dogs (ugh!) Jade would be a nice option but everything tastes like it has been sitting for a long time or was reheated from the day before. If you can muster the energy & can tear yourself away from the pool, try the MDR for lunch. It's a lot more relaxing & the food is better.

Give this logical Vulcanian a break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have "shoe leather" for your beef then you have been on a different cruise than I cause I have never had that issue! Some have been better than others but no door mats amongst them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps Vulcans have stronger teeth and fewer taste buds than us lowly human types? ;)

No matter how long I stay away every time I return it is the same whiners and criers here in the RCL CC boards. Why is it the NONE of you who constantly berate RCL leave the fleet and go to an upscale ship where you will be catered to your every whim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cause you have Dom Perignon tastes and Schafer or Pabst Blue Ribbon wallets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not liking a regular item offered on the MDR menu is hardly whining. Relax' date=' Spock, people are just sharing their opinions on the topic at hand.

I will order the SIRLOIN at least three times on my next cruise and report back my findings! in this thread, if the mods still have it open! Or start a new one!

I look forward to your reports. :)

YAWN!:rolleyes:

Why is it that anyone that is actually satisfied with the service that RCL provides is a CHEERLEADER????????????????

Give this logical Vulcanian a break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have "shoe leather" for your beef then you have been on a different cruise than I cause I have never had that issue! Some have been better than others but no door mats amongst them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would all of you here wish the cloud that inhabits your lives to be over mine??????????????????????????????????????

No matter how long I stay away every time I return it is the same whiners and criers here in the RCL CC boards. Why is it the NONE of you who constantly berate RCL leave the fleet and go to an upscale ship where you will be catered to your every whim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cause you have Dom Perignon tastes and Schafer or Pabst Blue Ribbon wallets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy your cruises and stop complaining' date=' you'll live longer.

Back to absentee mode until my next cruise after the one in three weeks!

I will order the SIRLOIN at least three times on my next cruise and report back my findings! in this thread, if the mods still have it open! Or start a new one![/quote']

Beam me up spock i agree with you.

The problem in the MDR is that they cut the NY strip very thin, like 1/4 inch thin. Then they ask you how you want it cooked. Are you kidding me? You really can't cook that any less than medium well to well.

My wife ordered the NY Strip on the last night of our Oasis cruise , ordered it medium and it was done throughout. She left most of it on her plate.

Don't ask how one wants it cooked when it is not possible to do so because they have tried to cut back on cost so much by slicing the steak so thin. I let them know of our dissatisfaction on our survey.

Yes the lambshanks are delicious. I will be ordering them on FOS on the Dec. 18th sailing. Until then, I found the recipe online and a friend had some extra lamb and asked if I wantedit...life is good.
We won't have to wait as long as you,we sail LOS 15 Dec. We did not get free shanks, but it was so good DW had to try the online recipe. Came out great wanting more.:)

Archived