How dressed up main dinning room 17 nights?

hsb5956

Greetings All;

Trying to get a feel for the following any input would be helpful :)

Male traveling solo mid 50's taking a longer cruise Celebrity Century 17 nights at sea Sydney, AU - Honolulu 6 nights at sea then 4 stops then 5 more nights at sea. Will on top of the cruise spend pre cruise 3 nights in LA then 5 nights in Sydney post cruise 3 nights in Honolulu = 30 days traveling

I read that Celebrity has 4 formal nights on longer cruises?

I assume the weather will be very hot and humid crossing the Pacific this March how strong is air conditioning?

Would long sleeve dress shirts be uncomfortable?

Was thinking of renting the formal package which includes black tux and a white dinner jacket 2 dress shirts and other stuff needed is this an over kill?

Any experience with renting from the Celebrity's source? pros verses cons?

VERSES

Packing a dark suite? more to pack and carry could wrinkle?

Any need for a sport coast / navy blazer on top of the above for other nights?

How dressed is non formal dinning nights?

Golf shirts, short or sleeve dress shirts or nice casual ones and slacks?

Thinking my 2 light linen shirts are good but they can only be dry cleaned no dry cleaning on ship only washing style laundry?

Do not want to under pack or over pack with the extra travel on top of the cruise. I usually use Rick Steve largest backpack plus a carry on of some sort. I also use packing zipper cube pouch's. Is it best for having to pack suite and sport coat slacks in a more traditional suitcase?

Thanks and Smooth sailing to all

HSB5956

I'm not a man, but I pack for one, so here is my assessment:

Rent the tux etc

You won't need a long sleeve dress shirt or even a tie otherwise. A neutral sport jacket however would be useful. You can wear it traveling to avoid packing. Unless you have reason on land, you will not need a suit.

The AC has not been a factor to DH, but the sport jacket would be an option if too cool.

for non formal nights, short sleeve collar shirts, golf shirts, plain upscale t- shirts, and slacks are fine.

I have had items dry cleaned on several X ships, can't remember about Century.

If I was packing for DH on your trip, I would include 2 swim suits, 8 shirts for dinner plus 6 for daytime wear (tees), 4 shorts, 4 neutral slacks, lt weight rain jacket, lt weight sweater, the sport jacket, 8 undies, 2 belts, 6 dress sox, 6 daytime sox if you wear them. You want a nice pr or 2 of shoes for dinner, sandals, sneakers, slippers, wear your walking shoes if you need them. I'm sure I have not thought of some things, & maybe you don't mind washing a few things by hand &/or sending out laundry more frequently, so you could get away with less. Hope this helps.

Greetings All;

Male traveling solo mid 50's taking a longer cruise Celebrity Century 17 nights at sea Sydney, AU - Honolulu 6 nights at sea then 4 stops then 5 more nights at sea. Will on top of the cruise spend pre cruise 3 nights in LA then 5 nights in Sydney post cruise 3 nights in Honolulu = 30 days traveling

I assume the weather will be very hot and humid crossing the Pacific this March how strong is air conditioning? air conditioning has always been fine for us. Sometimes it's a little cool in the dining room.

Would long sleeve dress shirts be uncomfortable? my husband wears them as well as short sleeved shirts on smart casual nights, and golf shirts, as long as it is a nice collared shirt.

Was thinking of renting the formal package which includes black tux and a white dinner jacket 2 dress shirts and other stuff needed is this an over kill? If you plan to eat in the DR on formal night it's fine if you don't want to being a suit.

VERSES

Any need for a sport coast / navy blazer on top of the above for other nights? My husband always wears one on the plane ad some nights when it is chilly in the MDR.

How dressed is non formal dinning nights? a collared shirt and nice long pants. jenes are allowed as long as they are nice.

Golf shirts, short or sleeve dress shirts or nice casual ones and slacks? correct

Thinking my 2 light linen shirts are good but they can only be dry cleaned no dry cleaning on ship only washing style laundry? We've always been pleased with the dry cleaing service.

Do not want to under pack or over pack with the extra travel on top of the cruise. I usually use Rick Steve largest backpack plus a carry on of some sort. I also use packing zipper cube pouch's. Is it best for having to pack suite and sport coat slacks in a more traditional suitcase?

HSB5956

Greetings All;

I assume the weather will be very hot and humid crossing the Pacific this March how strong is air conditioning?

Would long sleeve dress shirts be uncomfortable?

Was thinking of renting the formal package which includes black tux and a white dinner jacket 2 dress shirts and other stuff needed is this an over kill?

VERSES

Any need for a sport coast / navy blazer on top of the above for other nights?

How dressed is non formal dinning nights?

Golf shirts, short or sleeve dress shirts or nice casual ones and slacks?

Thinking my 2 light linen shirts are good but they can only be dry cleaned no dry cleaning on ship only washing style laundry?

HSB5956

I'm not sure of the 4 day formal on the cruise, the most I have ever seen is 3.

AC can be uncomfortable, might want to pack a sport jacket. Long sleeve shirts might be comfortable if cool but they are not necessary.

A suit (black was removed from dress code a couple of years ago) is fine. Probably will be more people in Tuxes on your cruise than on a simple 7 day Caribbean cruise. I have used the rental service and they are very good. The Celebrity laundry service is excellent. I usually don't do my things at home but have them done while on the ship. YOu may need them before the cruise so its up to you of course. Bottom of post has a link to their laundry service. You can also avoid formal dress by scheduling Specialty restaurants on formal nights, they are all smart casual on formal nights.

The non formal (smart casual) are really simple. Pants and a shirt with a collar.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do?faqSubjectName=Ship+%26+Stateroom+Details&faqId=566&pagename=faq_answers

I love Celebrity. On other boards this thread would have started with someone asking if they will be allowed in the MDR in shorts or jeans on formal night. People do manage to dress nicely on X even with the current baggage restrictions the airlines have imposed. I have always found it easier and lighter to pack a lite weight dress than a "elegant casual" outfit which usually is pants, a top, sometimes a jacket or other accessories. The key for women is to make sure the same shoes and bag can be worn with each evening outfit and you're home free.

Hi,

For MDR I pack 1 black suit, 1 white shirt with long sleeves and 1 white shirt with short sleeves. I use the black suit on all formal nights. I also use the black pants with other shirts on other nights. 1 pair of khaki pants and 6 polo shirts. I dont bring sport jackets anymore. Celebrity does not have informal nights anymore. If your dining in Blu or the specialty restaurants, smart casual is the attire every night. So you would not need the black suit or the rental of a tux. Spend that money on eating in the specialty restaurant on formal nights. Richard

Archived