Giving OBC as a gift?

B_Mc

This is probably a silly question for you experts, but how would we go about giving OBC as a gift for family?

We have their res. #...what else do we need? Can this be done online?

TIA!

No, can't be done online. Call the Gifts & Gear number (800-722-5443) and do it by phone.

I tried doing it a few years ago when I took my grown sons on a cruise. I called RCI and had the OBC applied to their cabins and it was charged to my credit card. They asked if I wanted a note for the card they would be placing in their cabins and I gave them my desired message.

They never did get a card in their cabins or any kind of notice that I had given them OBC. In fact, one son never received his!!!!:mad:

They never did get a card in their cabins or any kind of notice that I had given them OBC. In fact, one son never received his!!!!:mad:

Given our experience with gifts & gear I'm not surprised they didn't receive the card - but no credit?!!? Is this a common occurrence? Maybe we should skip this idea....

Thanks for the feedback!

What are you talking about, you can give it online. I sent a gift to myself.

Maybe their website is not accurate, but this is what it says today:

If you would like to purchase an On-board credit for an existing reservation, please call 800-722-5443.

You can do it on the phone or order gift certificates for them at

http://www.royalcaribbeancertificates.com/

The hitch to the gift certificates and is they will need to go online and APPLY them to the booking BEFORE boarding.

I think it is 5 days. I have read posts from those who thought they could take it onboard and have it applied. It can not be done that way

I bought Gift Certificates online for my parents and my brothers last year for Christmas. Very easy for them to apply to reservation. I think the cutoff was 10 days prior and I made sure they knew they had to get that done. Very slick and easiest Christmas shopping for all of them I have ever done.

Difference between OBC and gift certificates.......you can give OBC as close as the the Friday night before weekend sailings...............Gift certificates have to be redeemed 10 days before sailing,

The phone number for OBC was given above,

That is because the giftee is required to call at least 2 wks before the cruise in question to "activate" the gift! It happened to me too. The Loyalty Ambassador finally got it straightened out the 2nd day of my cruise, but corporate really didn't want to give it to me since I had not followed the rules. So when you get them the gift, tell them they MUST read all the fine print on the gift certificate and not wait until onboard to ask for this gift!

That is because the giftee is required to call at least 2 wks before the cruise in question to "activate" the gift! It happened to me too. The Loyalty Ambassador finally got it straightened out the 2nd day of my cruise, but corporate really didn't want to give it to me since I had not followed the rules. So when you get them the gift, tell them they MUST read all the fine print on the gift certificate and not wait until onboard to ask for this gift!

Just saw this. I didn't buy gift certificates. I called RCI about two weeks before sailing and asked if I could have OBC applied to my sons' cabins as a gift. They said of course and asked what I wanted on the card that would be waiting in their cabins advising them of my gift.

Just call the gifts and gear number provided. Give them the booking number and tell then how much and they'll take your credit card number, no problem. I've never had a credit not show up.

sounds easy enough and exactly what Im gonna do once my income tax check comes in.....I will simply ask them to email me an invoice, print it out and take it on board with me for confirmation

I am assuming you can do this for yourself, put it on your RCCL Visa card, get the points and get more OBC using the certificates?

Once you have enough points to redeem (min 5000 points for $50 OBC), you can process the redemption request via a web site. No need for certificates anymore.

Archived