Windstar to Costa Rica in March 2012

nendrum

We just booked our first ever cruise -- Windstar to Costa Rica in March of next year. Not only is this our first cruise -- it is the first time we have ever taken any kind of "organized" vacation -- we are usually very independent travelers and like to "roll our own" vacations. But this seemed like a good way to get an introduction to Costa Rica. Since we have never cruised before, I'd love to hear suggestions as to how to make this cruise experience the best it can be. i'm particularly interested in advice about the Windstar shore excursions on this cruise and whether we should consider booking our own independent excursions. Also, I had heard that it was possible to buy something like a "wine pass" on Windstar cruises -- i.e. pay a one-time charge that allowed you wines up to certain price-point on the cruise. I don't see any mention of that on the Windstar web site -- has anyone done that? Is it something you have to purchase on-board?

Also, my husband and I are avid kayakers -- are there really kayaks available on the Windstar cruise boats? How available are they? Can they be booked for certain timeslots? Or are they first-come/first-served?

Also, we are considering a 2 - 3 day pre-vacation in Costa Rica. Has anyone else done that before this Windstar cruise? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

We just booked our first ever cruise -- Windstar to Costa Rica in March of next year. Not only is this our first cruise -- it is the first time we have ever taken any kind of "organized" vacation -- we are usually very independent travelers and like to "roll our own" vacations. But this seemed like a good way to get an introduction to Costa Rica. Since we have never cruised before, I'd love to hear suggestions as to how to make this cruise experience the best it can be. i'm particularly interested in advice about the Windstar shore excursions on this cruise and whether we should consider booking our own independent excursions. Also, I had heard that it was possible to buy something like a "wine pass" on Windstar cruises -- i.e. pay a one-time charge that allowed you wines up to certain price-point on the cruise. I don't see any mention of that on the Windstar web site -- has anyone done that? Is it something you have to purchase on-board?

Also, my husband and I are avid kayakers -- are there really kayaks available on the Windstar cruise boats? How available are they? Can they be booked for certain timeslots? Or are they first-come/first-served?

Also, we are considering a 2 - 3 day pre-vacation in Costa Rica. Has anyone else done that before this Windstar cruise? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Hi there,

Congratulations on booking your first Windstar cruise :)

There really are kayaks available and people do use them. I believe that they are allocated on a first come, first served basis.

Details of the current beverage packages are available here on the Windstar blog. It can be purchased before you get onboard but be aware that everyone in the cabin must buy the package.

Can't help with Costa Rica but it has been discussed, both here and on the Roll Call board, so a search may throw up some previous threads that might be of interest. This post on the Windstar blog might be worth a read.

Hope that helps some; enjoy the planning!

Mands

That's great info -- thanks. I've checked out the links you sent along.

On the beverage package: $54 per day per person seems like a lot for a beverage package. Are alcoholic beverages really that expensive on-board? My husband and I wouldn't drink anything other than wine -- no cocktails -- and $108 seems like a *lot* of money to spend on wine!! How much should I expect to pay for a glass of wine on board? Anyone able to give m e some guidance on that?

How much should I expect to pay for a glass of wine on board? Anyone able to give m e some guidance on that?

I stumbled across a copy of the secondary winelist, rather than the main list, that was in use in 2010. Those particular wines may not be on offer now but it will give an idea of the price range; obviously the full list goes an awful lot higher :)

I uploaded a copy here.

Mands

My wife and I did this cruise in March, 2010. One of our favorite vacations ever and we will be back. Our next trip is 1/14 on the Surf out of St. Marteen. Here is what we did: 1) San Juan Del Sur-Volcano Excursion with the ship was fantastic. Take several one dollar bills with you to spend at the market they stop at. And be prepared to negociate price! Leather and aligator skin deals that are hard to pass up. 2) Playas Del Coco-Canopy Zip Line is a blast! Long ride but worth it. And ask to go upside down as that is a major rush and great photo! 3) Quepos-I went sail fishing with no luck. So I don't suggest it. My wife went hiking with another couple in Manuel Antonio Park. She had a great time. You can do this without booking through the ship as the park is right there. Bahia Drake-We did hiking at Corcovado. We both liked it. But I saw several out of shape folks that were wishing they had not done this. It is pretty extreme. If you are in shape and like hiking, do it! Curu-Do on your own. Hope that helps you a little and your gonna have a great time.

Hi.

You might want to consider bring some wine on board, and pay the $15 corkage. It has worked well for us. We collect wine. It is nice to drink the bottles that we have been saving.

Good luck and enjoy.

Hi.

You might want to consider bring some wine on board, and pay the $15 corkage. It has worked well for us. We collect wine. It is nice to drink the bottles that we have been saving.

Good luck and enjoy.

Just curious -- Did you bring wine from home? And you were able to get that through security? I would have thought that, being liquids, bottles of wine would have been confiscated -- no?

Just curious -- Did you bring wine from home? And you were able to get that through security? I would have thought that, being liquids, bottles of wine would have been confiscated -- no?

If you are asking about security through the airport, yes, you won't be able to carry it on the plane. You'd have to pack it in your checked baggage, which I've done successfully many times.

We sail on the Windstar Costa Rica in Jan, they say that many are "wet landings" has anyone experienced this? What would be the best foot coverings, wear reef walkers and bring dry socks, towel & dry shoes for walking? Or what? I had some "Keen" sandals but they really hurt my feet, so that isn't an option. What do other people do?

Archived