Insect Repellent: Spray or Wipes?

ferfoodle

For those who have taken a Western Caribbean cruise and took insect repellent: Did you prefer the spray or wipes? Did anyone find one was more effective than the other? Please share what you have experienced with keeping those bugs off.

I am thinking the aerosal spray would be a hassle to travel with, but if it works better than the wipes I might just try to pick up some in Florida when we get other last minute items. I am also thinking the wipes would just be so much more convenient to not only travel with, but to take on the excursions. I have never used the wipes before and I just don't want to risk getting bit. Whatever I take will have DEET.

Thanks!

I have never had a bug issue on our 3 cruises to the western Caribbean but. I always carry the wipes. I have them in each car as well and when I use them they work great. Spray seems like it would be a PITA ti travel with, it is bulky and such. You can throw 2 wipes in any bag and it takes up very little room

We traveled to St. Thomas & St. John in July a few years ago for a week and since we were camping at Maho Bay for a couple nights I brought along some insect repellent. I found small 2 ounce NON-AEROSOL spray bottles of repellent at Sports Authority (w/DEET). Worked great. Because we were sleeping in a "tent cabin" the spray was handy because we were able to spray down the linens before we went to sleep.

We never check our bags and abide by the 3 ounce or less rule... the small bottle of repellent didn't take up much room at all.

We'll be cave tubing in Belize on our next cruise and I've heard that the walk before the tubing can be a little "buggy". Someone gave me some repellent wipes which I think I'll try, but I'm going to bring along the spray too just in case.

If skin can handle you have been given the right type..hat is better and more important..and of course the non aerosol spray...

I like the Cutter's that smells better to me..and Skin So Soft bath oil in you own spray bottle works for mosquitoes for me, (I hate bug spray really),..but not when horse flies are thrown in the mix..LOL..Bon Voyage..Sarah

if you go to the "travel size" section of the stores, you can find small aerosol cans of OFF. They are 2.5 ounces.

I packed that same trial sized can of OFF! two months ago for a pre-cruise stay. The can leaked all over EVERYTHING. Thankfully, it was in a Ziploc bag with some other items, so nothing outside of the ziploc was ruined. I've never had this happen before with this product, but just be aware that it CAN happen and put it in a Ziploc bag by itself. :)

I take at least one week+ long hike in the summer, in Maine, so you have to have the good stuff of risk a slow death at the hands of the Blackfly hoards.

I believe you..those must be similar to what I call horse flys that bite like hell in some fishing places without the horses and when ranching with them close in the mtns..obviously.

Funny story…we were in Belize and did the caving excursion. The excursion asked that you wore long sleeves, Long pants, closed toe shoes and bring a bug repellant w/ DEET. Enough said for me!! I got a can (the 2.5 oz can of “Off”) for every port (lol…I have bug issues). On the way to the cave, the tour guide was explaining what we would be seeing and then starts to tell us about the “cigarette bug”. I don’t know the real name – that’s what my DH and I call it. That’s because this bug buries itself under the skin and they burn it out with a lit cigarette :eek:.

My DH and I are getting fitted with our belts, hard hat, etc. Then I “spray” us ALL over with the spray. I notice this little girl. Ok, she wasn’t “little” she was about my DD’s (early 20’s) age or so…she was a little girl to me. She was obviously there with her boy friend and was dressed in this cute little skimpy spaghetti strap shirt and the cutest sandals. My DH and I step out of our “Off” fog and she has the saddest look on her face. I instantly thought of my DD and handed her the rest of my bottle. She went to give it back (after she had her own “fog” going on) and I told her to just pass it along…no one brought any. So I was the “Off Queen” :p of the excursion.

So….do I take bug repellant…h3ll yea! ROFL :D

Since I am a mosquito magnet I brought the Off! wipes with us on our Western Caribbean cruise. However, I tried out a new soap that had cintronella in it, and I ended up not using the wipes at all. It was the first vacation I've ever been on without a single bite on me.

The soap is Hawiian Bath and Body Beach Bar.

Kitt lady..that is so sweet..OMG I attract bugs so buggy places..once i get there i will buy all options before boarding.. thanks all. My sweet 19 year old niece got eaten alive by mosquitoes on a boat reservoir excursion here..she learned and is a toughie..yet so sweet..she said hand sanitizer was good for the afermath until she got home....they are sweet babies..i realized again as a major auntie this Thanksgiving,,,Sarah

The worst Mosquitos we ever encountered were at the bio bay in Peurto Rico. We sprayed ourselves from head to toe but they still got us, even inside our ears! It's kinda hard to keep swatting them away and kayak in the dark at the same time!

Hi,

I would recommend wipes. On a past vacation we had the bug spray (smaller than 3 ounce) in our carry on leak because of the change in cabin pressure. I had it in a zip lock bag, but I had other items in there too such as lotion, etc. since all the liquids needed to be in a zip lock bag for security. It ruined everything in the bag (took all the writing off the bottles, etc.) so it was all ruined and pretty sad having to throw it all away when some of it was brand new! For our honeymoon we bought the Off wipes to bring with just in case and never needed to use them so we'll be bringing them with on the cruise next month. Just my two cents but I try to avoid any spray bottles or aerosols anymore after that (or individually bag and double bag them to avoid other disasters).

Have fun though!

I am bug candy. We usually drive to the port and we spray with Deep Woods Off on the balcony, they I carry the wipes in my tote bag/pocket for touch ups. Skin So soft is like salad dressing for the bugs, on me...

I have always carried wipes on my Western Caribbean cruises. I usually wipe them on when we go into the jungle, but have not run into any mosquitos.

However, when we were in Alaska last summer, I used them daily up near McKinley and Denali. I didn't have any problems,...but I have never been bitten by a mosquito. My brother, on the other hand, is a mosquito magnet. He used them and they worked great. I handed out several to other people who were unprepared, and all of them successfully warded the critters off.

I don't remember the name, but they were in a small green package at WalMart.

Archived