Liberty of the Seas - Five Night Western

scungileen

I was on the liberty's first sailing when it came back to America and I saved all the compasses. The trouble is just finding time to scan them for everyone. I can try to answer any questions you have about it in the meantime.

Formal night is on the second night, there is only one.

Hi. I just got off the 5 day Western Liberty a few hours ago. I won't be home for a few day so no access to a scanner, but can answer any questions you have.

Overall a great cruise...Great food and entertainment..Tons and tons of positives. Little things here and there, but only real negative I could find (which wasn't RCL's fault), is that they stopped tendering in Belize City around ~12:30pm because of choppy waters, and a few excursions were also canceled. Who knows how the waters will be for your cruise, but if you want to assure you get off, I'd advise waiting in line in the AM (we waited about 45mins) rather then wait till after lunch.

Formal night was the second night.

Steve

I was on the liberty's first sailing when it came back to America and I saved all the compasses. The trouble is just finding time to scan them for everyone. I can try to answer any questions you have about it in the meantime.

Formal night is on the second night, there is only one.

Do you happen to know if the beer cooler was available? Thank you?

How was embarkation and disembarkation, anything concerning or tips you may want to share? What was your experience like, when did you arrive at the terminal and what time were you able to board? We'll be on the 10 Dec sailing. Thanks!

Hey Rab,

I'll write a more detailed review in a day or two, but you quickly address your questions:

Embarkation: We got to the Ft. Lauderdale terminal around ~12:30pm, and were on the ship around ~1:30pm. Plan was to get to the terminal earlier, but the National Car Rental shuttle look at least 45mins from FLL to the Pier, as there were 7 other ships in port when we left, including Oasis, Navigator, two Princess, and one each from Carnival, MSC, Holland America. Line to check in was long, but overall process was organized. Room was ready at 2pm, so dropped the bags, and went to the Windjammer buffet, which, while it was busy, not to the point where you couldn't get a table.

Debarkation: We did the express option...i.e. rolled our bags off ourselves. Maybe 30 mins to get off and through customs. Left the ship ~8:30am, in the car rental shuttle at 9:05am, in our car by 9:30am.

Quick tip...in my mind...if your bags are manageable, much quicker to take them on and off yourself, but of course I realize that's not always possible.

I have the compasses, I'll try to scan them a little later.

We always arrive early to embark... There was a hefty delay, but, we expected it (returning from Belize and all). We were checked in and had to sit for approximate. 1.5 to 2 hours. They tried to make everyone comfortable but, things got crowded pretty fast. We were among the first group and on just before 1pm.

Disembarkation... We wanted to do the express disembark. We carried our luggage. But, there was a delay with customs (again). People began lining up about 7:20. By 7:40 the lines were running from deck 1 to deck four. Elevators couldnt move. Halls were very crowded with folks that had early flights. Although, the delay was ultimately only 30 additional minutes, it felt like an eternity. Again, it was to be expected.

They did stop the tenders to Belize. Although we made it with the early group, I don't know how we made it back :eek:

To steve3791

Thanks for the answer to my questions. I think we had a similar "delayed" disembarkation on Mariner. We always get mid to late afternoon flights anyway so we're in no hurry to get off the ship.

To FrostyPeach

Anything specific you want to know about?

Looking forward to the compasses LiveLoveCruise

I did read on another thread about a White Dress Night in the MDR when in Cozumel. Steve3791, can you confirm that? Thx

How was embarkation and disembarkation, anything concerning or tips you may want to share? What was your experience like, when did you arrive at the terminal and what time were you able to board? We'll be on the 10 Dec sailing. Thanks!

Getting on the ship took quite a bit of time as the ship just returned from europe. I got there around 10:30am and we didn't get on the ship until 1:30, which was fine not Royal Caribbeans fault.

Disembarkation again took a bit of time but it wasn't Royal Caribbeans fault, I'm pretty sure they didn't want a ship full of people not spending money just as much as people didn't want to sit on the ship and not do anything.

The whole experience was good, everyone was fun. Vintages turned out to be our favorite place to hang out, the bartenders were great and they had a fun selection of wine. Since I got a gold discount book we used our Buy One Get One alcohol coupon to get 2 glasses of their most expensive wine from the dispenser that was fun.

Food was good, better than I remembered it from our previous cruise, We never had a problem finding seats in the windjammer, although the layout of the windjammer isn't ideal, they have 2 support poles in the middle of the food area and it kept the whole area from having a good flow. Not their fault though, I'd rather have the poles than have deck 12 fall on me. Johnny Rockets was very fun, although they shouldn't just give you an endless supply of onion rings, I ate SO MANY ONION RINGS! I was sweating onion rings the rest of the cruise.

Pool was crazy busy on the sea days but that was expected, I didn't notice too many chair hogs but then again I wasn't really looking, I had no desire to spend the sea days by the pool, too busy. We didn't get off the boat in Belize so we used that day to lay by the pool.

The only show we did was on the first night we saw the adult comedian, he was pretty funny. I went in expecting stupid cruise ship jokes and there wasn't a single one.

The only "bad" thing that happened we went down to the scooner bar to grab a drink and watch the piano player as we heard he was good and I got carded. I am quite obviously over 21 and I had the wine package sticker on my sea pass card, but because I didn't have my photo ID on me they wouldn't serve us. If Royal Caribbean was serious about checking ID's then they would have different seapass cards for people over 21 and people under 21, and they wouldn't have 24 hour wine dispensers in vingates either AND the cruise director wouldn't go around encouraging people to drink. and I don't think its "Flattering" to be told I look under 21 for the record. I thought the guest relations desk handled the situation poorly as well, they just sent a copy of my picture to the bar so they would know I was over 21, We just didn't return to the Scooner bar. Cruise Formal Night that's me, notice the beard that someone under 21 cant grow, notice the grey in my hair. I cannot comprehend how someone thought I was under 21.

Anyway, off my rant. We went to the quest and that was...interesting..in our section a girl playing was highly highly intoxicated, she came at some point and asked my wife and I a question and we still aren't 100% positive it was entirely English, but other than that it was fun. We saw her again the next night playing the finish that song game and she was again soooooo drunk, even the activities manager who was hosting the game was making fun of her.

One thing I have to mention if you are going on the ship. Make it a point to see the band Suave play, its a band from the Philippines and the female singer is AMAZING, we didn't discover them until third night and we regret not finding them earlier, if you love to ballroom dance (like my wife and I do) then this is the band to follow around the ship, we even bought one of their cd's they were selling.

Don't miss the bar Olive or Twist up on the 14th deck, it has such an amazing view of the ship, one of the best places to sit and read or sit and enjoy a drink or sit and relax, OR ballroom dance when Suave is performing.

Another great quite place is on deck 7 in the back of the ship there are some chairs in the library that face the promenade, the chairs are quite comfortable and it is very quite there. We spend the majority of our last sea day sitting there reading.

That is everything I can think of for the moment.

LiveLoveCruise - what time to you arrive to embark? I'm sailing on Dec. 10th and my flight arrives at 9:30a. I've always been able to board early on previous cruises but from all of the posts I'm worried we will be sitting around for hours.

Did you visit the beach Playa Bonita in Cozumel? Is it a place you recommend? I considered visiting Playa Palancar but willing to try another place if it's worth it.

Was the tender rough on the way back from Belize?

Was the weather hot during your cruise? I've been reading showers in the forecast!

I also look forward to view any of the compasses you may have. White night in the MDR - that sounds interesting.

Getting on the ship took quite a bit of time as the ship just returned from europe. I got there around 10:30am and we didn't get on the ship until 1:30, which was fine not Royal Caribbeans fault.

Disembarkation again took a bit of time but it wasn't Royal Caribbeans fault, I'm pretty sure they didn't want a ship full of people not spending money just as much as people didn't want to sit on the ship and not do anything.

The whole experience was good, everyone was fun. Vintages turned out to be our favorite place to hang out, the bartenders were great and they had a fun selection of wine. Since I got a gold discount book we used our Buy One Get One alcohol coupon to get 2 glasses of their most expensive wine from the dispenser that was fun.

Food was good, better than I remembered it from our previous cruise, We never had a problem finding seats in the windjammer, although the layout of the windjammer isn't ideal, they have 2 support poles in the middle of the food area and it kept the whole area from having a good flow. Not their fault though, I'd rather have the poles than have deck 12 fall on me. Johnny Rockets was very fun, although they shouldn't just give you an endless supply of onion rings, I ate SO MANY ONION RINGS! I was sweating onion rings the rest of the cruise.

Pool was crazy busy on the sea days but that was expected, I didn't notice too many chair hogs but then again I wasn't really looking, I had no desire to spend the sea days by the pool, too busy. We didn't get off the boat in Belize so we used that day to lay by the pool.

The only show we did was on the first night we saw the adult comedian, he was pretty funny. I went in expecting stupid cruise ship jokes and there wasn't a single one.

The only "bad" thing that happened we went down to the scooner bar to grab a drink and watch the piano player as we heard he was good and I got carded. I am quite obviously over 21 and I had the wine package sticker on my sea pass card, but because I didn't have my photo ID on me they wouldn't serve us. If Royal Caribbean was serious about checking ID's then they would have different seapass cards for people over 21 and people under 21, and they wouldn't have 24 hour wine dispensers in vingates either AND the cruise director wouldn't go around encouraging people to drink. and I don't think its "Flattering" to be told I look under 21 for the record. I thought the guest relations desk handled the situation poorly as well, they just sent a copy of my picture to the bar so they would know I was over 21, We just didn't return to the Scooner bar. Cruise Formal Night that's me, notice the beard that someone under 21 cant grow, notice the grey in my hair. I cannot comprehend how someone thought I was under 21.

Anyway, off my rant. We went to the quest and that was...interesting..in our section a girl playing was highly highly intoxicated, she came at some point and asked my wife and I a question and we still aren't 100% positive it was entirely English, but other than that it was fun. We saw her again the next night playing the finish that song game and she was again soooooo drunk, even the activities manager who was hosting the game was making fun of her.

One thing I have to mention if you are going on the ship. Make it a point to see the band Suave play, its a band from the Philippines and the female singer is AMAZING, we didn't discover them until third night and we regret not finding them earlier, if you love to ballroom dance (like my wife and I do) then this is the band to follow around the ship, we even bought one of their cd's they were selling.

Don't miss the bar Olive or Twist up on the 14th deck, it has such an amazing view of the ship, one of the best places to sit and read or sit and enjoy a drink or sit and relax, OR ballroom dance when Suave is performing.

Another great quite place is on deck 7 in the back of the ship there are some chairs in the library that face the promenade, the chairs are quite comfortable and it is very quite there. We spend the majority of our last sea day sitting there reading.

That is everything I can think of for the moment.

On the Enchantment, there were bouncers at the entrance of the nightclub and they used the shipcard to check ID's. I don't remember if they scanned them or if there was some other way to tell if the person was 21. I didn't have my card with me. They gave me a hard time but let me in. I was in my 40s when this happened.

They did stop the tenders to Belize. Although we made it with the early group, I don't know how we made it back :eek:

You're the second person to post this about the tenders. We have a 9am excursion planned through a private company. If we (and probably others) tender over and they stop later, they will run tenders back to the ship still?

If we are on a private excursion, and they stop running to Belize, we will have no way of knowing until we return to the port. Silly question, but they won't leave people on the island and leave port early, will they?

How concerned should we be?

Archived