Tell me why I should try NCL

Welcome back Tomct. Glad you enjoyed the Dawn the second time. I sail the Dawn again on June 6.

I am a loyal NCL fan. My first cruise was on the Sun and I loved the freestyle dining. I love having a choice of when to eat.

I have not taken two cruises on Carnival and RCCL with assigned times and tablemates. My tablemates were really fun on my RCCL cruise but I missed the choices of freestyle. Some night I just didn't like anything on the menu.

I have always had great service with freestyle. On the Dawn last June we only waited once for seating in the main diningroom. That wait was only for 15 to 20 minutes. When we were wanting to get out for a show we simple told the waiter that we were in a hurry. A couple to times we were seated at a table with others in order to get through faster. That was fine and we met some very nice people.

Your cruise is what you make of it. I look forward to freestyle dining, lots of fun activities and the view from my balcony.

Marilyn

NCL Sun 4/02 - Carnival Elation 6/02 - NCL Norway 8/02

NCL Dawn 6/03 - RCI Monarch 1/04

Whatever.

Believe it or don't, makes no difference to me. It's common knowledge that anyone who says anything negative about NCL will be accused of exaggerating, lying, etc. by certain others, so your attitude comes as no surprise, it's completely predictable.

Savvy posters know the score, you can be sure of that.

No tagline, on the grounds that it may incriminate me.

I am leary of a a cruise line that trains it's new staff on unsuspecting passengers who have paid full price for a cruise they have dreamed of all year long. It angers me to read posts from people who did not experience the poor service on THe Sky and then dismiss us because we were sailing during the months that the new crew was training. NCL had no right to do this. I've never heard of this happening on any other cruiseline. I

So I'm guessing other cruise lines, don't train their employees, or is it that they give free cruises when they do?

-Monte

some of my cruising photos:

http://community.webshots.com/user/m1bisson

A bad day cruising is better than a good day at work.

The worst cruise I ever took was pretty damned good.

Platinum with RCI, a couple cruises with NCL and 1 with CCL

Clock remove but cruise in Dec

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mbisson:

So I'm guessing other cruise lines, don't train their employees, or is it that they give free cruises when they do?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is not your typical cruise training scenario. They are training an entire crew of cruise ship workers from the US to be the new staff of the Pride of Aloha. This is a monumental task. I'm not sure that NCL could have handled this transition much differently. It's a shame this training transition has had such negative repercussions for the passengers of the Sky. My hope is that when the US crew is fully trained they can operate as affectively as their foreign predecessors did. Comments about the Sky's crew were very positive until this past March.

Craig

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;9;19;20;0;00&timezone=GMT-1000

NCL Pride Of Aloha 09/2004

Tahitian Princess 03/2003 FP/Rarotonga

Renaissance R3 10/2000 French Polynesia

Celebrity Meridian 01/1993 Southern Caribbean

Costa Classica 03/1992 Eastern Caribbean

Crown Princess 06/1991 Western Caribbean

Craig,

Exactly. Even new ships are staffed with experienced crew culled from many other ships. Every staff member we spoke with on our cruise was brand new. One waiter was a former cook in Honolulu, another just graduated from college and had never waitressed, another was a mom of 2 small children (Can you believe it, she doesn't see her 1 and 4 year olds for MONTHS at a time while her parents watch them!). Apparently jobs are very scarce in Hawaii and this new crew comes from all walks of life, most very new to the service industry.

And then, when there is a new sailing on a brand new ship, it's typically discounted while the crew works the kinks out, so mbisson, no, this is somewhat of an unprecedented event, and it was wrong of NCL to do it without warning or comping the passengers who suffered while paying literally thousands of dollars for their vacation. The brochure promises pampering and excellent service, what we got was bumbling, inept service that wouldn't cut the mustard in your local McDonalds. That isn't what we paid for and it's not what we deserved.

Yes, I too experienced less than perfect service with respect to some aspects of my cruise on the Sky in March. However, I think NCL refelcted those potential problems in the price.

While I can't speak to the loneliness, anxiety etc., learning a service job shouldn't be that hard. It's all in the attitude. Maybe there is something to idea that Americans think it's beneath us to work in a service industry; there's also the reverse that as Americans we prefer to be served by non-Americans to maintain our "superiority."

I can't begin to tell you all the things I screwed up the 1st week of my 1st waitress job on land. I just kept apologizing. One couple who's meal I ruined, including dropping the man's dinner all over him icon_eek.gif (the retaurant comp'd their meal) actually came back, booked a huge party & asked for me. Despite all my rookie mistakes they "liked my attitude."

I don't see what the big deal is about waiting between courses at dinner. This is not fast food. If I wanted a rushed meal I'd eat somewhere else. If my dinner takes less than 2 hours I wonder why I'm being rushed! Sit down dinner at home, when we get that luxury, is about an hour -- just to talk, catch up & unwind.

Finally, the problems w/ the Sky should not be considered a reflection on a whole line. The Sky is in transistion b/c of all the unexpected problems w/ the Pride of America. Don't you think if that ship had not sank & NCL had a whole extra ship they'd be having these new people train somewhere else?

Trish

Trish1c,

I take your point that the training may have been made more difficult because of the problems NCL had with the Pride of America but, what I notice about NCL is that whenever they have a problem they seem to expect the passemgers to bear the brunt of it.

As I have said before, if I have a problem (eg. my flights get messed up and I don't get to the pier in time to catch my ship) NCL would, I have no doubt, tell me " Too bad you made your own arrangements we are not responsible" and I would be fine with that.

But when NCL has a problem which makes training difficult or makes it necessary to cancel a cruise their attitude seems to be. "Well it's out of our control so you (the customer) will just have to cope with whatever canceled plans, ruined vacations, lack of service etc. we throw at you because we have a problem."

I just wonder why my problems are mine to cope with (with no help from NCL) but their problems are also mine to cope with?

Gardencat -- you are right. I received excellent customer service from NCL so I can't really explain why anybody had an unsatisfactory experience. Customer service is important no matter what business you are in & when it's somebody's precious few (in my case) days of vacation, it makes it all the more annoying when things don't go well.

That said, this post started b/c someone asked why after Disney & RCCL she should go on the NCL Sun. I didn't want to see the thread disintegrate further into a diatribe on why the Sky has problems.

Trish

Sorry Trish, my last comment on this.

My comments are not about the Sun or the Sky in particular but, since she asked why she should go on the NCL Sun she was IMO asking why the Sun and why NCL so comments regarding NCL's general attitude towards customers are, I think, very relevant.

I appreciate you expressing your view and don't want to turn this into a back and forth argument so will just leave it here.

Gardencat --

Unless people say personal things to me like "you're stupid, misinformed or whatever" I never have a problem w/ another's view point.

I totally agree with you that customer service issues are very relevant. To the extent that my last post wasn't clear that I was supporting your opinion, for that I'M sorry.

As for the original poster I think she got a bit more than she bargained for w/ her question icon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gif but she now can make an informed decision.

I think we're done & on a happy, friendly, upbeat note too. At least that's what I was striving for. icon_cool.gif

Trish

Jecork, You wil never get bashed by me as you gave a very fair and honest assessment of NCL as you see it. That's what we all like to see. As for Nina and even worse momofteens, their assessment though I am sure are sincere are based on one experience. I hope I never get that narrow minded even in my old age. It has to be realized this is of course an all new crew: it's all Americans which would make it a bit hard to mix. Momofteens, where would you suggest they get trained? In someones' back yard? As for the original poster If you really just want to hear what some of us think are the positives it's simple: Freestyle, friendly crew and great itineraries, plus good prices as a rule, not always. NMNIta

Commodore 1984, Costa 1985, RCL 1987, Chandris 1989, NCL 1989, Commodore, 1991, NCL 1997, Carnival 1997, Carnival 1998,NCL 1998, NCL 1999, RCL 2000, RCL 2000, NCL 2002,NCL 2003, Celebrity 2003, NCL 2004

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by momofteens:

I am leary of a a cruise line that trains it's new staff on unsuspecting passengers who have paid full price for a cruise they have dreamed of all year long. It angers me to read posts from people who did not experience the poor service on THe Sky and then dismiss us because we were sailing during the months that the new crew was training. NCL had no right to do this. I've never heard of this happening on any other cruiseline. I<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One thing I want to point out it is not like everyone onboard was brand new. NCL has been placing the new US hires on all the ships as the do with any new crew. At least 10% of the crew on the Dawn in Feb were recent US hires. All were targeted for The Pride of America. We all know what happen to the POA and thus the orderly plans NCL had.

You have to believe having read posts from members with family on the Sky crew that a lot of the problems are the result of the tension between those that are losing a job and the those that are replacing them.

How would you like to train your replacement who by the way will make more $ then you as soon as the ship is reflagged.

If you watched the fairs on the Sky this winter you would never say NCL was charging full price.

I am sorry that the service did not meet expectaions. It sure takes away from the enjoyment of a great cruise itinerary. Those that spend time here at least new what they were getting into any why the fares were so low. Most of the passengers had no idea and it had to be a real surprise.

The Sky is gone in a few weeks and so is the option to take this cruise on a freestyle ship. All of the smaller NCL ships will be gone in a couple of years and that will be to bad for many cruises and delight a whole other group.

To answer the original question "Why should I try NCL" because of the many posts from those that had a great time on an NCL Ship. If the things posters did not like out weigh the positives for you then you should try another cruiseline.

Seaward 1/89,Southward II 1/91,Windward 10/93,

Norway 3/94,4/96

Dreamward 4/97

Dream 12/99

QE2 4/02

Carnival Spirit 7/02

NCL Sun 10/03

NCL Dawn 2/03,7/03,2/04

No Clock = No Next Cruise

We are sailing the Dawn in 3.5 wks. I have never sailed NCL so I have no experiences to share. When researching for this trip though it was the Freestyle concept that sold us. My husband dresses for work every day and on vacation the last thing he wanted to do was pack a tie. He had no interest in getting dressed up to have dinner with strangers every night at a designated time. This is a special trip for our anniversary. With Freestyle we can be relaxed, dine on our time and enjoy tables for two. Also the NYC departure was a big factor as I wanted to try and avoid flying if at all possible.

GL in your decision!

Allyson

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;05;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till our 10th annivesary cruise without the kids!

I am going to simply concur that while "Freestyle" has it's advantages, the time it takes to dine goes up at least 25%. Some people might find this a bad thing, others not.

NCL Norway 2/00 - Eastern Carib. poke.gif

Costa Atlantica 2/01 - Western Carib. icon_biggrin.gif

Costa Atlantica 2/02 - Eastern Carib. icon_biggrin.gif

NCL Dream 3/03 Valparaiso - Miami orangehat.gif

Costa Mediterranea 3/04 Western Carib. icon_eek.gif

icon_wink.gif Proud member of the PPS-Passport Pusher Society icon_wink.gif

~~ www.savemartha.com ~~

As far as the fares being so low, I wasn't aware that they were! We booked early (before any knowledge of reflagging) because there were 7 of us and we had to secure airfare. I saw much lower fares on the Sun sailings, so while some last minute cruisers may have gotten a bargain, we did not.

Nita, I'd like an explanation as to why you believe that relaying an accurate explanation of one's cruise experience equates to one being narrow minded? How do you make that non-sequiter?

Momofteens and I obviously experienced a different level of service than you ever did on NCL. I don't know why that fact is unnacceptable to you and why we should be expected to be satisfied with it or to keep it hush-hush. Our experience with NCL is the only basis we have for our opinion of them. I just don't get it.

Nina

I have been reading your recent posts and have to say I'm sorry your cruise wasn't all you were hoping for.

When we were on the Dawn we had a wonderful time and I had no major complaints.

I have to be honest here and say if I experienced the kind of service you did I know I would have come back to the boards singing a completely different tune.

You did state you enjoyed freestyle so why not try The Dawn (just once) before giving up on NCL. I know you wont be disappointed. Linda

Oceanic 8/69

Olympia 9/71

NCL Dawn 3/04

"Happiness is a choice"

You know what Linda, I just may be persuaded to do that. I hear such wonderful things about the Dawn and I truly believe our service issues on the Sky were situational and not the norm.

I love the idea of sailing from a port so close to home. We'll see how NCL responds to our letter, I think that will be the final factor in our opinion of them as a company and whether they truly do care about their customers.

bigd, while the folks here who experienced poor service on another ship due to staff changes have a right to be ticked off, this isn't going to affect you, as the Sun crew is quite stable and is going to stay that way. We got off the Sun on Tuesday after a 16-day cruise and the crew was absolutely terrific--efficient, warm, friendly and quick to look for and solve potential problems. You have nothing to fear re service on this ship, and I've heard the same from dozens and dozens of other Sun cruisers, APART from the many, many pleased customers sailing with us this last time.

As for liking or disliking freestyle, that's of course a very personal thing. We love the freedom of going to eat when and where we want, wearing pretty much what we want. Give it a try if you think it might be fun for you and yours.

Nina, you know as well as I do that I have no problems with fair reviews even the negative, but when someone complains about every little detail and can find not one positive thing to say or judges an entire company by one bad experience I have a problem. This is not just an NCL thing I have it's with all companies, all cruise lines, all brands. That's where it get narrow minded. NMNita

Commodore 1984, Costa 1985, RCL 1987, Chandris 1989, NCL 1989, Commodore, 1991, NCL 1997, Carnival 1997, Carnival 1998,NCL 1998, NCL 1999, RCL 2000, RCL 2000, NCL 2002,NCL 2003, Celebrity 2003, NCL 2004

when someone complains about every little detail and can find not one positive thing to say or judges an entire company by one bad experience I have a problem. NMNita

QUOTE]

Is that what you think is the case here? Speaking objectively, I think it's well within the bounds of fairness to say that those passengers whose only experience with NCL was on a fiasco of a training cruise are not narrow minded, just calling it as they see it (and experienced it). One bad experience? Umm, yeah, having planned and paid thousands of dollars for a long awaited vacation could be written off blithely as just "one bad experience" I suppose. It's their ONLY experience with NCL.

Calling someone who's only had bad experiences with a company narrow-minded is incorrect and insulting. They aren't narrow-minded, just unlucky to have sailed with an inept crew.

Consider yourself lucky to not have been among them.

Thank you Nina for letting us know your experiences with your recent cruise. I feel so bad for you that others here should challenge you on your opinions. It happened to me too recently with some of my not so favorable comments about NCL and our cruise aboard the Star. I was told by another poster that I caused the problem when so many others on the thread confirmed very similar not so good experiences. Please keep us posted on the outcome with NCL. I wish you the best!

To bigd (the OP), you should try NCL for one reason above all others: to experience something new. If the price, itinerary and scheduling suit you, I would strongly encourage you to book an NCL cruise and then form your own opinion as to its pros and cons. But before you book the cruise, you should research NCL's ships and how Freestyle works, which is exacty what you're doing. As with most cruise lines, NCL's fleet varies greatly in age and size. Your post indicates that you're considering the Sun, which is one of NCL's newer ships. The Sun is the sister ship to the Sky, which I sailed to Alaska on a cruise that I thoroughly enjoyed. You should also check out the size and passenger capacity of the Sun since those factors might influence your enjoyment.

As you've already seen in this thread, opinions vary greatly. Many have had positive experiences with NCL; others have had negative ones. This should not come as a surprise. If reading these boards proves anything, it's that EVERY line has its detractors. It is impossible for any cruise line to please everybody on every ship in its fleet on every sailing. The same person who enjoys the Dawn might hate the Wind or Dream. More specifically, the same person might enjoy one Sun sailing and then, a year later, be disappointed by the very same ship. Much of it is the luck of the draw -- the assignment of a cabin (most are probably fine, but an unlucky passenger might get the one cabin that has plumbing problems, for instance); the specific service people that you have contact with (most stewards are great; an unlucky passenger might draw an uncaring and incompetent employee); the food preparation (usually quite good, but you could be booked on the sailing when the chef is replaced by a newbie); etc.

Of course, detractors will say that ALL personnel should be excellent or that ALL service staff should treat every passenger properly. I suppose that would be the case in utopia, but it's simply unrealistic to expect that to be the case with cruise lines that deal with thousands of customers on a weekly basis. There will inevitably be some unfortunate incidents where the passenger will come away disappointed. Their disappointment may be perfectly justified but that doesn't make it the norm. I daresay that if it WERE the norm that the cruise line would be out of business in short order.

Continue to read up on NCL and cull whatever relevant facts you can from these boards. Try your best to distinguish between what appears to be the rule and what appears to be the exception. Above all, decide for yourself what elements of a cruise are important to YOU. Whatever you decide, enjoy your next cruise.

Archived