Just back from the POA

Kapuna

We were on the Nov. 26-Dec.3 voyage and also did the same cruise earlier this year . We noticed significant changes .

The service in both the main and specialty restaurants seemed substantually improved , as was the cabin service . However , the food quality in the main restaurants still needs improvement . The ship was full but we rarely encountered lines .

For us the main difference was in the entertaiment . There no longer seems to be a ship's orchestra and the musical production numbers used sound tracks at excessively amplified levels . The " Second City " troupe ( which we greatly enjoyed on the previous cruise ) was no longer there .

On the other hand , the musical performers in the Napa bar and other lounges were excellent . The crew talent show and Hawaiian offerings were also very good .

Unlike our previous cruise our cabin was on the left side of the ship this time . This made a huge difference for viewing from the balcony , both while in port and at sea . The lava is not flowing into the sea at this time and the ship took a different route in going from Hilo to Kona , but we had an inspiring view of the Na Pali coast including some water falls .

We were on the POA Nov. 19-26th....Thanksgiving week. The announced that it was the last week for Second City on the ship.

We also thought that the lounge entertainment was outstanding. We had a hard time each evening deciding where to go and sometimes found ourselves running from lounge to lounge to catch our favorite acts!

We are big fans of the production shows and really enjoyed "Lights, Camera, Music." The other show "Rock-a Hula_Luau" was probably the most disappointing show I have even seen on NCL. I felt sorry for the talented cast that had to perform in this show. Too bad. We missed the crew talent show, but liked the magician show a lot.

Service was great throughout for us also. This was our second time on the POA. We did not have a balcony (inside cabin deck 8) but we are fine with that and know what to expect!

Shows??? I remember the comedian two nights, same with the magician... I remember that the Welcome aboard show was some of the crew trying to dance and then they brought out the professionals for a 15 clip. Of course my last cruise was on Disney so maybe I am biased. :D

I do remember the jazz combo and Toby Bow. They were both pretty good.

We have always found the shows on POA to be second rate and just chalked it up to the fact they theyy were poorly attending because folks have such long days.

As for second city we are glad the are gone and frankly should be taken off all the ships, the only segment wev'e ever liked was the blow up doll. However comedy is much like food, subjective.

Archived