All things considered, Voyager or Navigator

Hello :)

My husband and I are planning a 7 day cruise for march 2012. We are taking a young couple that has never cruised before and need to keep costs low. We have almost exclusively cruised with RC in the past, minus a trip with NCL in Hawaii in 06'.

My question is this. Considering all things from ship to staff to ports ( I think they may be identical on ports) would you choose the Voyager or the Navigator for this trip. I haven't been on either one of these ships so I really need some input !

I saw a deal for NCL Spirit , also out of NOL ( the port we need to use this time) which was a good deal and seemed like possibly better ports.

Input please ?

Navigator is a couple years newer.....and has both Portofino and Chops...

the balconies on Navigator are essentially all glass as opposed to cut into the side of the ship (making them somewhat cave like, and thus, possibly more 'private')

other than that, i would go with whichever had the better ports, better price and better cabin availability.......

I've never been on Voyager, only Navigator (and EX and AD in the voyager class)...i'd be happy on any of them....

guess that didn't help much huh....sorry!;)

You might want to take into consideration where you want to depart from. I have been on both ships and while the Navigator tends to be one of my favorite ships, we are sailing on Voyager for the main reason that we can pre-cruise and post cruise in New Orleans (we are adding a stay for Mardi Gras to our vacation so it is like having 2 vacations in one!) :D

You really can't go wrong with either ship.

Both are lovely ships! Voyager does not have Chops, only Portofino. Voyager is a bit older but I love the fact that the Pig & Whistle Pub is smoke-free and I love Derek Lewis.

I would look at the pricing, ports, and travel costs. You and your friends will have a great cruise on either ship.

Navigator is Generation II of Voyager class (like Mariner). As noted the balcony difference but also other slight things like Windjammer is slightly larger (a couple feet) and it has both Chops and Portofino. In many ways these two ships had Freedom class features incorporated from the start.

More info about differences in the generations in that class are at:

www.voyager-class.com Lots of pictures and in the design section a page specifically pointing out the differences.

My husband and I are planning a 7 day cruise for march 2012. We are taking a young couple that has never cruised before and need to keep costs low. We have almost exclusively cruised with RC in the past, minus a trip with NCL in Hawaii in 06'.

My question is this. Considering all things from ship to staff to ports ( I think they may be identical on ports) would you choose the Voyager or the Navigator for this trip. I haven't been on either one of these ships so I really need some input !

I saw a deal for NCL Spirit , also out of NOL ( the port we need to use this time) which was a good deal and seemed like possibly better ports.

Input please ?

Unless you get a balcony and would rather have a glass balcony, there is not going to be much difference at all. Both will offer a great vacation and the ships are almost identical.

Navigator is a couple years newer.....and has both Portofino and Chops...

the balconies on Navigator are essentially all glass as opposed to cut into the side of the ship (making them somewhat cave like, and thus, possibly more 'private')

other than that, i would go with whichever had the better ports, better price and better cabin availability.......

I've never been on Voyager, only Navigator (and EX and AD in the voyager class)...i'd be happy on any of them....

guess that didn't help much huh....sorry!;)

Believe?

Navigator built in 2004

Voyager built in 1999

Mariner built in 2003

With everything else equal.

We have sailed Mariner, Voyager and Navigator

In my personal opinion Navigator prettiest ship.

However but ports, prices, cabin availibilty and convenience to port

will override ship in our instance.

They are all Vogager Class and beautiful in their own right.

I would weigh convenience to port and pricing

based on your comments!:)

Ports and and room availibilty last!

Mariner(Galveston), Voyager(New Orleans) and Navigator(Ft Lauderdale)

My question is this. Considering all things from ship to staff to ports ( I think they may be identical on ports) would you choose the Voyager or the Navigator for this trip.

As you put it, "all things being equal," I would choose Navigator for the reasons already stated (newer ship, glass balconies, and Chops). Any one of those would tip the scale, but 3 makes it obvious. ;)

Input please ?

I apologize if I'm reading this wrong, but you want to sail out of NOLA in March 2012, correct? In that case, Voyager because the Navigator will be in FFL until the fall. Also the ports are a bit different. Nav goes to Grand Cayman, Jamaica (Ocho Rios), and Labadee. It looks like Voyager goes to Grand Cayman as well, but then Falmouth and Cozumel instead of OR and Labadee.

If you meant March 2013 then Navigator because Voyager will be overseas.

As for NCL, did you like it during your Hawaii trip? Do you think your friends will? If it's cheaper and has better ports, I'd go with NCL as long as you enjoyed your sailing with them last time. Either way, you should have fun!

Voyager was the first RCCL ship we went on and we've been hooked ever since. I've been on all of the Voyager class ships and they are all great but we decided to go on Voyager this month because she's going out of NOLA. If it's your first Voyager class ship, you'll be happy with any of them. As for the balcony, yes, the second generation Voyager ships do have the glass balconies but I was perfectly content on Voyager, Explorer and Adventure. Portofino's is wonderful and many people don't go to multiple specialty restaurants. The one thing I've learned is don't pick a ship because you want to go to Grand Cayman because you may not get there. :-)

Done both twice, love both equally, except my little son loves the tiny waterslide on the back of the Voyager, and the Navigator is a bit newer and has my all time favorite crew.

But Voyager leaves from NOLA now, so that's a HUGE bonus for me!!!:D

Can't go wrong either way in my opinion, both ships rock!!:)

Thanks so much for all of the input ! I guess the Navigator is out since we are somewhat locked in to travel dates. I dont know how I didnt notice that it would be gone already. For some strange reason, I thought that it was leaving in April.

It sounds like both ships have many fans and it should be a fun time. Thanks again for your input !

As a New Orleanian, I say Voyager! There is nothing better than sailing down the Mississippi river and experiencing the river pilot "hop" off the ship to the tug boat at the foot of the river. I'm not sure if there is a viewing area on Voyager, but NCL Spirit has a wonderful bridge viewing and I was able to see all the action. I also was able to see the pilot hop back on as we returned.

The river is magical and very busy so it provides an ever changing view as you depart from New Orleans. Then the next day you are in beautiful blue water. It's the best of both worlds!

Thanks so much for all of the input ! I guess the Navigator is out since we are somewhat locked in to travel dates. I dont know how I didnt notice that it would be gone already. For some strange reason, I thought that it was leaving in April.

It sounds like both ships have many fans and it should be a fun time. Thanks again for your input !

NoS is still here in March, and doesn't leave until April. They changed the schedule back around may, which is when I booked my cruise on her.

Archived