Capnpugwash on QM2 after the 2011 refit

capnpugwash

My other question would be - Why was TE closed on the last night? Again from my own experience the opening and closing of this area does seem to be capricious, not only on QM2 but also on the QV.

Does anyone know why?

No bookings? It's always been almost deserted when we've eaten in there.

Having said that, perhaps it's my ability to clear a room...

Mary

In Glasgow one should definitely reciprocate as one may lose significant parts of one's anatomy should one fail :eek:

Cue comment from Sir M.

J

You mean it was one of the many Glaswegians from whom I've accepted hospitality and then done a runner?

And for all these years I've been blaming the vet...

Sir M

Thanks JCruizer

I new there was something else that wasn't on there "Smoked Salmon and Bagel".

Which is a bit of a surprise as it is my number 2 items that I would normally pick off the menu and strangely enough it was actually in the canteen (sorry Kings Court) the next day.

If anyone else can remember what used to be on the breakfast menu can they let me know.

I am going to have it out with Cunard as I am already on a 14 night cruise next year and want to know if I need to pack my own supplies (only joking).

If I hear anything I let you all know.

You mean it was one of the many Glaswegians from whom I've accepted hospitality and then done a runner?

And for all these years I've been blaming the vet...

Sir M

Well, it couldn't be all bad Sir M. It got you where you are today. :D

J

About 10 years ago we cruised with RCCL and shared a table for 8, all 6 non-drinkers. One day the port stop had to be cancelled so there was free champagne that evening at dinner...they all had a few glasses. We assumed they were just too mean to buy it!

Perhaps they were not "mean" - but rather preferred not to pay the exorbitant price that ALL the cruiselines charge for wine.

Barry (who enjoys a wide range of Australian wine at home for reasonable prices - but who gags every time he reads a cruiseship's wine list!)

Barry (who enjoys a wide range of Australian wine at home for reasonable prices - but who gags every time he reads a cruiseship's wine list!)

I noticed that several of the wines on the Wine List are from South Australia. Penfolds, who produce THE Grange, are about five minutes from where I live. We have a beach house about 5 minutes from Langhorne Creek wineries. We can obtain the best wine per bottle almost at the price per glass onboard.

So I cry, a little, but then I think I am prepared to pay for the "Venue", which on QM2 is priceless! :p

But it does nark me when a Pub in South Australia tries the same thing! :mad:

Perhaps they were not "mean" - but rather preferred not to pay the exorbitant price that ALL the cruiselines charge for wine.

i found the per-bottle prices for wine to be about what youd pay in a restaurant in the uk

I can not see any problem in being honest if one does not drink alcohol - better to tell the truth.

You can just say "I don't like the taste" or "I'm allergic". In my experience, people don't really notice that much if you don't drink, if you don't say anything about it.

As a drinker myself - I can see what a nuisance waiters and bartenders can be for a non-drinker. Friends of mine who don't drink have been put off after a LONG cruise - by being constantly "harassed" by waiters asking them if they cared for a drink. They feel that they cannot sit in any public space - bar, theatre, etc - without having to constantly say "no thanks!!" . Even as a drinker, I get annoyed by constantly being asked - and by the also constant on-selling of alcoholic add-ons, like "special" after dinner liquers/brandies,etc.

I think I need a small plaque that I would place on my dinner table saying something like - "don't call me - I'll call you!!"

Barry

I've rarely had that experience myself. If fact, sometimes when I have decided to drink, I've had to chase after the bartenders myself (so to speak). Perhaps I look underage!:D (Actually, up until 2 or 3 years ago I was "carded" now and then---boo hoo, not any more.:rolleyes:)

I think the bartenders don't really care if you drink alcohol or not as long as you drink something (although boozers do tend to drink more I suppose).

I suspect that if you told your table mates you don't drink that they will gasp in horror, recoil and a long uncomfortable silence will unfold - all eyes fixed on you - as if you'd farted at a White House dinner.

And, if you happened to be a friend of Bill W, do you think that their reaction would be justified? Personally, if I told my "table mates" that I don't drink (which I don't) and that was their reaction, I would be seeking new table mates with immediate effect.

It's strange how attitudes differ when it comes to smoking and drinking. If you tell someone you've stopped smoking their reaction is usually along the lines of "How brave of you, how sensible, you must be very strong willed. I really admire you for that" If you tell them you've stopped drinking they regard you as some kind of mad staring eyed alcoholic who is probably now doing drugs and liable to attack them with an axe at any moment. It's a funny old world.

J

Spot on, Cap'n.

As a non-drinker (now), I often tell people that my reason for not drinking now is that back in the day, when I was, I drank more than my share. If I were drinking today: 1) there would be a real risk that, despite the alcohol on board, there would likely be a shortage by the end of the voyage and 2) seeing me sober and seeing me drunk, I believe you'd much prefer me sober. As for others drinking, it has never been a bother and as they say "Some of my best friends...."

So there. Enough said. Now,...about the carpets.....

I can't believe that this thread has been hi-jacked by thread drift people. It is intolerable and should never be allowed. :( I really miss talking about those carpets. There is never a designer around when you need one, especially a really experienced one. :)

I'm still reeling at the unaddressed shower handles to be honest..

I suspect that if you told your table mates you don't drink that they will gasp in horror, recoil and a long uncomfortable silence will unfold - all eyes fixed on you - as if you'd farted at a White House dinner.

No, I don't think so, at least not in my experience. Now that I think about it - just about every table in the MDR that I've sat at, there's been at least one or two people who didn't drink alchol and I don't remember there being any conversation about it. Personally, I think it makes sense to refrain from drinking, or certainly to drink only a mininimal amount while on an ocean voyage. From what I've observered, sober people have a lot more fun than inebriated people think they're having:)

And just to tie this in with the new decor - those swirly rugs must really start to swirl after 5 or 6 drinks :eek: Hey, maybe their hidden purpose is to encourage sobriety :D

I think the carpets in most areas look fine, but the ones in the Champagne Room make me think I have already over-indulged in my favourite drop!

I plan on making this Bar my home in my short four day experience. But only if I can cope with the carpets!:o

I think the carpets in most areas look fine, but the ones in the Champagne Room make me think I have already over-indulged in my favourite drop! /QUOTE]

I agree totally. I hope it's much better in person as the photos make it look crazy busy / dizzy. Perhaps you'll let us know on a new thread while you are on board.

I think the carpets in most areas look fine, but the ones in the Champagne Room make me think I have already over-indulged in my favourite drop!

I plan on making this Bar my home in my short four day experience. But only if I can cope with the carpets!:o

I may be wrong but I doubt that you will. Most people seem to gravitate towards the Chart Room or the Commodore Club and I suspect you will too.

I initially thought I would spend quite a bit of time here, but it turned out that all I really did was walk through it to get to the Chart Room.

I may be wrong but I doubt that you will. Most people seem to gravitate towards the Chart Room or the Commodore Club and I suspect you will too.

I initially thought I would spend quite a bit of time here, but it turned out th is at all I really did was walk through it to get to the Chart Room.

Well, you are probably right. As long as the drink is cold and bubbly I will be fine. I have come to love Bellinis, but am thinking Veuve bellinis might be a little expensive.

I hope you lucky Sydney people are going to post a little when you embark? That way my fun can start a little earlier.

Archived