Capnpugwash on QM2 after the 2011 refit

capnpugwash

I agree. QM2 is to all intents and purposes an American ship and has been for some time. The final vestiges of UK legal regulatory aspects have now gone with the moving to a flag of convenience and removal from the British merchant navy but I doubt the practical consequences will become apparent for some time nor affect most cruisers enjoyment of the ship.

But there is still a British connection. Cunard advertises itself as a brand of Carnival plc, which is described on its Website as:

"Carnival UK is a business name of Carnival plc, a company incorporated in England under registered number 04039524, registered office 5 Gainsford Street, London SE1 2NE. VAT Reg No. GB 761 4300 58. ATOL 6294. ABTA V8764."

Carnival plc is traded on the LSE. But I have no doubt that all major decisions are made in the USA. This situation is reminiscent, although not identical, to that of the Canadian Pacific passenger ships. Until the last transatlantic liner Empress of Canada was retired in November 1971 (and coincidentally became the first Carnival cruise ship Mardi Gras) the ships were registered in England. The company was known as Canadian Pacific Steamships and later called CP Ships and had its headquarters in London. But that company was wholly-owned by the Canadian Pacific Railway Company, later called Canadian Pacific Ltd., with headquarters in Montreal, Canada. The decision to get out of the passenger ship business was made in Montreal not London.

Update no 5

I encountered the 7 water drinkers again. I realise that it shouldn’t affect me at all but it does so having bought a couple of bottles on day 1 which should have lasted until tomorrow night I finished them off and intend to go to an alternative restaurant tomorrow evening. You may think this is an overreaction but that is what I intend to do.

I wouldn't blame you. Dinner is too important to not feel comfortable and enjoy it.

What do you think the protocol/etiquette is for buying wine. When I traveled solo I bought a bottle and offered it around the table. Should one ask everyone first? Curious how others handle the situation when you join strangers for dinner.

Have a great day Capn!

I agree. QM2 is to all intents and purposes an American ship and has been for some time. The final vestiges of UK legal regulatory aspects have now gone with the moving to a flag of convenience and removal from the British merchant navy but I doubt the practical consequences will become apparent for some time nor affect most cruisers enjoyment of the ship.

Well, I'm not sure how "British" QM2 was even when she was registered in the UK.

We now have a ship that was built in France, christened by the Queen of England, staffed with mostly British officers, crewed by an International compliment, registered in Bermuda, interiors decorated by Tillberg of Sweden, operated by a brand based in Southampton, and owned by a parent company based in Miami.

Actually QM2 sounds fairly International to me, and I think she always has been. The "Britishness" that Cunard likes to hype is mostly PR speak, and has been for many years now.

Ernie

I wouldn't blame you. Dinner is too important to not feel comfortable and enjoy it.

What do you think the protocol/etiquette is for buying wine. When I traveled solo I bought a bottle and offered it around the table. Should one ask everyone first? Curious how others handle the situation when you join strangers for dinner.

Have a great day Capn!

This is a great question, which I have asked of myself when traveling solo. I am eager to hear what Capn P. as well as others have to say about it.

On the one hand, my upbringing makes me feel I should offer the wine to dining companions; on the other hand, I am there on holiday not to subsidize the holidays of strangers with whom I am dining.

Looking forward to the views about this question.

...heading into dinner I encountered the 7 water drinkers again. I realise that it shouldn’t affect me at all but it does ...

It doesn't necessarily mean that they are too cheap to buy wine or that they don't like to have any fun. They could be Friends of Bill and/or on medication that can't be mixed with alcohol. Their refrain from drinking adult beverages just means - more for you.:D

This is a great question, which I have asked of myself when traveling solo. I am eager to hear what Capn P. as well as others have to say about it.

On the one hand, my upbringing makes me feel I should offer the wine to dining companions; on the other hand, I am there on holiday not to subsidize the holidays of strangers with whom I am dining.

Looking forward to the views about this question.

I usually simply get a glass of wine but, when sharing with a travel companion whilst seated on a large table, I have found the wine stewards quite attuned to the fact that I/we do NOT have to share with the whole table. They handle it with discretion, quietly asking whether it is to be shared, and deal with it accordingly.

I agree, we should never judge others because of their drinking or non drinking habits. It is sad to presume that because an individual does not imbibe that they are less outgoing or fun loving than he/she who enjoys the grape, conversely why feel embarrassed or uncomfortable in the company of those who do not drink? On that note I am off to the CC for a cocktail!!

Normally I would not offer the wine that I had purchased to the other tablemates, it is not that I don't share but I don't want them to feel that they need to reciprocate.

Update no 6

The sun has just risen at a little after 8.30am and we are currently manoeuvring to berth in the port of Zeebrugge, there is partial cloud cover and the sun is shining through the gaps. It is currently cool at 50/10 degrees. Having had a quick breakfast in King’s Court I am heading for the final day in the spa. I do intend to meet up with some other passengers and head into Bruges later today but we have no set time and we are going to arrange things after 11am this morning. Of course today is packing day which I will attend to this afternoon.

The spa was surprisingly empty with only 3 of us using the facilities; I didn’t dwell there for too long today and am back in the cabin to get changed. Afterwards I made the arrangements for going to Bruges; we would meet by the gangway at noon and then get a cab. Of course when it was time to go there were no cabs available so the two of us caught the shuttle to Blankenberge and then as the train wasn’t due, we waited for a cab by the station and eventually it arrived and took us into the Market Square. We walked around and then went to a small restaurant near the canal for some lunch, we opted for a Moussaka and Lasagne with which we had a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc, all in all it was a very international meal and quite delicious.

Returning to the ship I packed most of my clothes but am fortunate that by opting for self-disembarkation tomorrow I have no need to put my case out for collection this evening but can complete the packing first thing in the morning.

I am going to try the Lotus speciality restaurant this evening as an alternative to my allotted table, it is just easier on me to decide to move from Britannia, it is a great shame but I just can’t stand another meal with them. It is just after 6pm and we are due to sail imminently for our last leg to Southampton, we have only something like 220 nautical miles left and are due to arrive at 6.30am tomorrow.

Overnight the clocks are adjusted back by 1 hour so that we shall then be on UK time when we arrive in the morning.

More later

It doesn't necessarily mean that they are too cheap to buy wine or that they don't like to have any fun. They could be Friends of Bill and/or on medication that can't be mixed with alcohol. Their refrain from drinking adult beverages just means - more for you.:D

Find the friends of Dorothy table- they'll be happy to have a drink with you.

Update no 7

We have just let go our lines and are now under way out to the North Sea and English Channel. I went to the Chart Room, having spoken to the Maître D’ advising him that I was dining elsewhere and requesting that he advised my waiters. Sitting in the bar it was very busy and one of the guys with whom I was going to Lotus came by and said the speciality restaurants were all closed tonight so we decided to eat in the buffet, there is a first time for everything. We arranged to meet in the Queen’s Grill Lounge where we had a few cocktail and eventually went to eat at about 10.15 and to be fair the pasta that I had was very tasty, I did follow that with some sweet and sour chicken which was laced with chillies and was absolutely great. After that meal I popped to the Commodore Club to finish the evening off and to say a few goodbyes to the staff. Whilst there a couple of CC members came along to have a brief chat and while we were talking Paul O’Laughlin arrived so I was able to question him as to why the ship was still titled RMS QM2 and he told me that it will remain that name until such time that the Queen says that it has to change, this does have a certain logic to it I think.

It is almost midnight on UK time and we are only 78 nautical miles from Southampton, I have enjoyed most aspects of this brief trip, the changes to the ship are mostly positive. I like the carpets and the re-designed pub and I have met a wealth of nice people. Thanks as always for spending time with me and I truly hope that you have had as much fun as I have. I will close this report now as I am overdue for some sleep, and unless something exciting happens in the next few hours you will hear no more from me. Happy Christmas to you all and I hope that you have a great new year.

Fin

Thanks, as always, for your posts. They have made for delightful pre-holiday reading. I see you are due to sail on the Arcadia at the end of the week. Will you be posting from there as well? Friends from the Queen Elizabeth sailed on her this past summer and liked it. I would love to get your views.

Also many thanks for the information on the RMS. It will be interesting to see what the Queen does.

Happy Holidays to you as well and may you have a grand New Year.

...Paul O’Laughlin arrived so I was able to question him as to why the ship was still titled RMS QM2 and he told me that it will remain that name until such time that the Queen says that it has to change, this does have a certain logic to it I think...

It's good to know that anybody who wants to strip QM2 of her RMS title can be sent to the Tower! :D Thanks for clearing that up since nobody else seemed to be able to get an answer.

Thank you for your first hand post-refit reports. Now go home and rest up for your next voyage. ;)

Some people don't drink alcohol because it might cause them asthma or they just do not like the taste. It does not mean they are not good table-companions.

I have never had any problem with non-drinkers and drinkers mixing together on a Cunard cruise. Usually everyone buys a bottle of whatever they prefer - whether it is water or alcohol.

I think there must be something deeper that is wrong with the people on Capnpugwash's table.

PS Without wishing to dwell on the subject, the folk concerned did all arrive at the table one night after the cocktail party with half a glass othe free Pol Acker which lasted them the entire meal. I don't think that they were friends of anyone to be honest other than being cheap. Anyway it's over and we should all move on. We are almost at the terminal now and are just 100 or so yards away from the Ocean Terminal.

Capnpugwash and I seldom agree , however I am dismayed that he had such poor table companions - as well as some other issues on this trip.

There was a thread a long time ago re table etiquette, I wrote that one should never discuss, religion, sex or politics.

There is no need for a passenger to comment on another drinking wine, just keep quiet, and say nothing.

If a non drinker is offered glass of wine by another passenger they should just just decline GRACEFULLY

i.e "Thank you but not at this time"- and then change the conversation. No explanation is required as to why the wine is declined.

No one should ever discuss their beliefs at the table,

I do not blame you for leaving the table Capn, think I would have done so even earlier in the cruise. Of course the fact that they drank the Pol Acker, does tell you they are not real connoisseurs .

My pet hate is the passenger who lines up numerous pills at the table and then tells others what each pill is for.

Before anyone flames me, as a very senior senior I do have "pills", and yes some have to be taken with food, but I order a muffin and a drink from room service and take "the pills" with this food in the privacy of my cabin.

Good manners should dictate ones behaviour at all times when travelling.

I'm really confused about QM2's RMS status as well because Cunard has removed all references to this on their US website and US press documents. That, and questions were deleted from Cunard's facebook page. If she didn’t lose it why not just say so?

QM2 was given honorary RMS status upon entering service as a gesture to Cunard's history. However she only carried a token amount of mail (which could be a single piece) to meet the legal qualification.

The only other two ships that still have this status are the RMS St. Helena, which actually does carry mail to the south Atlantic island of St. Helena. She is registered in London, UK. The second is the RMS Segwun, a steam-driven tour boat in Ontario, Canada. She has RMS status given to her by Canada Post and is registered in Canada.

The document often cited for QM2's RMS status is an August 2007 issue of the Courier, a periodical published for employees of the Royal Mail. Unfortunately it's not available online. RMS status is so unusual today that only an insider would know how it is granted, kept, or rescinded. What happens if she is later registered in Panama - a country with no legal connection to the UK? I know I’m more obsessed with those than the others here but “RMS” made the QM2 special and makes her a living link to the great transatlantic liners. To lose that would take away some of the charm she has for me.

but there is a postbox on the QM2, therefore if people do post items on it, the ship is carrying mail

Archived