Capnpugwash on QM2 after the 2011 refit

capnpugwash

Yes the Capn's constitution and stamina are to be admired, we don't realise the suffering he goes through to provide with these reports, long may he reign!:rolleyes::D:D:D

How I wish I were one of those people who could survive well on little sleep, even after a few drinks. What's the secret? I'd love to go dancing until the wee hours, and wake up early for the sunrise, full of energy for the day's events. I envy men for their ability to drink cocktails lunch, dinner and evening and feel fine the next day. I can manage 2 max, or else I'm waking up late every day and need at least 2 weeks recovery post crossing. Why must I choose one or the other damn it? :rolleyes:

I have crossed alcohol-free a coule of times, waking early evey day feeling virtuous and bright eyed and bushy tailed. However I was also one of those dreary tablemates who was not really up for a night out.

Thanks for the review, Capnpugwash. I hope to enjoy a crossing again in the not too distant future. :)

but there is a postbox on the QM2, therefore if people do post items on it, the ship is carrying mail

What you say is true but I don't think that the mere fact that a person writes a letter whilst on board a ship and then puts it into a box would necessarily qualify that ship for the designation of RMS, I think that it has to carry official mail under a Royal Mail contract from point A to point B.

Hi There Capn

We were also on this 4 night cruise and sorry to bring up about eggs Benedict AGAIN!!! but this is what happened to us. If anyone can confirm or deny anything that I have written it would be appreciated.

On the morning of the first day at sea myself and my partner went to the Britannia Restaurant for breakfast with the anticipation of order "Cunard" Eggs Benedict as even though we had only recently been on Princess for 2 weeks we did not order "Princess" Eggs Benedict as we were sure they would not live up to Cunards.

HOWEVER – It wasn’t on the menu and we were sure that there were several other items on the menu from previous Cunard Cruises that were no longer on offer.

When we checked with the waiter we were told “this is the only items available and has been this had been the same menu that had been in use for a while”.

The waiter then got the Head Waiter who more or less said the same thing but did offer us an omelette!! No ta.!

As our last cruise on Cunard was in October 2011 in Princess Grill (I am sure they would not mess with the PG Breakfast menu) and prior to that it was October 2010 that we were in Britannia – does anyone else know if the Britannia Breakfast menu has been shortened/changed?

We are sure that the used to be Waffles and many other things that you could order.

And of course Eggs Benedict.

Thanks

Hi There Capn

We were also on this 4 night cruise and sorry to bring up about eggs Benedict AGAIN!!! but this is what happened to us. If anyone can confirm or deny anything that I have written it would be appreciated.

On the morning of the first day at sea myself and my partner went to the Britannia Restaurant for breakfast with the anticipation of order "Cunard" Eggs Benedict as even though we had only recently been on Princess for 2 weeks we did not order "Princess" Eggs Benedict as we were sure they would not live up to Cunards.

HOWEVER – It wasn’t on the menu and we were sure that there were several other items on the menu from previous Cunard Cruises that were no longer on offer.

When we checked with the waiter we were told “this is the only items available and has been this had been the same menu that had been in use for a while”.

The waiter then got the Head Waiter who more or less said the same thing but did offer us an omelette!! No ta.!

As our last cruise on Cunard was in October 2011 in Princess Grill (I am sure they would not mess with the PG Breakfast menu) and prior to that it was October 2010 that we were in Britannia – does anyone else know if the Britannia Breakfast menu has been shortened/changed?

We are sure that the used to be Waffles and many other things that you could order.

And of course Eggs Benedict.

Thanks

It does sound quite suspicious to me but it has been a while since I went to Britannia for breakfast and actually looked at the menu so I can't say if it has changed, the Eggs Benedict have always been available except on the last morning

DW had eggs benedict on several occasions in Britannia on QM2 in October.

I do recall someone saying that the F&B budget for a voyage varies as a function of the passenger load and the average daily fare paid - perhaps this had an impact on the F&B budget for the short cruise?

What you say is true but I don't think that the mere fact that a person writes a letter whilst on board a ship and then puts it into a box would necessarily qualify that ship for the designation of RMS, I think that it has to carry official mail under a Royal Mail contract from point A to point B.

As far as I know the title RMS is just an honor given to the ship, it can be given or taken away, it no longer has to carry any mail , But I think only an RMS ship can carry mail should it be needed to do so.

so for now its still RMS QM2

If a non drinker is offered glass of wine by another passenger they should just just decline GRACEFULLY

i.e "Thank you but not at this time"- and then change the conversation. No explanation is required as to why the wine is declined.

No one should ever discuss their beliefs at the table,

I can not see any problem in being honest if one does not drink alcohol - better to tell the truth.

I can not see any problem in being honest if one does not drink alcohol - better to tell the truth.

Realistically, if you are seated with the same people for several nights and continue to refuse alcohol, they will eventually ask why.

As I suffer with slight asthma when I drink wine, it is easy to explain to table-mates why I will not be partaking of alcohol. What was strange to me was that during the last world cruise, a particular sommelier in QG could not seem to understand the words "I do not drink alcohol" and insisted on asking me for my wine selection each evening. It became quite ridiculous having to explain to the same person each evening I did not want wine. In fact, on more than one occasion, one of my table-mates became quite frustrated with this sommelier and started to answer on my behalf. In the end it was a sort of game as we all awaited the approach of the sommelier with the ridiculous question. Then we would all raise our eyes at him and start chuckling. Luckily he left in Hong Kong and the new sommelier only needed to be told once that I did not drink alcohol.

... a particular sommelier in QG could not seem to understand the words "I do not drink alcohol" and insisted on asking me for my wine selection each evening...

Sounds like your QG sommelier flunked White Star Academy. Upon being seated at a table set with wine glasses, I discretely invert my glass. A properly trained staff would have read that signal immediately.

As a drinker myself - I can see what a nuisance waiters and bartenders can be for a non-drinker. Friends of mine who don't drink have been put off after a LONG cruise - by being constantly "harassed" by waiters asking them if they cared for a drink. They feel that they cannot sit in any public space - bar, theatre, etc - without having to constantly say "no thanks!!" . Even as a drinker, I get annoyed by constantly being asked - and by the also constant on-selling of alcoholic add-ons, like "special" after dinner liquers/brandies,etc.

I think I need a small plaque that I would place on my dinner table saying something like - "don't call me - I'll call you!!"

Barry

I was on QM2 40 days in 2010 from NY to HK seated at a table for eight. Was a great table, and I was the only one who ever drank a drop. I just ordered a house red by the glass, and it was just fine, the wine, and no one cared one way or the other, whether I was having wine, or they were not. The steward kept an eye on my glass, and brought me another if I gave him the look. Worked out great. Last trip on QM2 Nov 2011 I was seated at the chief engineer's table (I think because I'm a single male and they were looking for someone to put with Irma-- anyone know Irma? she's a trip, 2,000 plus days on Cunard, anyway was fun getting to sit at a hosted table, right in the center of things, and the wine on the house.

As a drinker myself - I can see what a nuisance waiters and bartenders can be for a non-drinker. Friends of mine who don't drink have been put off after a LONG cruise - by being constantly "harassed" by waiters asking them if they cared for a drink. They feel that they cannot sit in any public space - bar, theatre, etc - without having to constantly say "no thanks!!" . Even as a drinker, I get annoyed by constantly being asked - and by the also constant on-selling of alcoholic add-ons, like "special" after dinner liquers/brandies,etc.

We like being asked and hate when you want a drink and no one asks. Just because you are being asked if you want a drink it doesn't have to be an alcoholic one. We also like the after dinner drinks which I think P&O do so much better than Cunard.

I guess it goes from one extreme to the other! :) And perhaps we have had particularly pushy waiters. I know I was about to strangle the wine waiter on P&O Arcadia after 42 days.

Barry

It is on P&O that they continue to offer "special" after dinner drinks every day.

Princess are very pushy offering after dinner specials.

About 10 years ago we cruised with RCCL and shared a table for 8, all 6 non-drinkers. One day the port stop had to be cancelled so there was free champagne that evening at dinner...they all had a few glasses. We assumed they were just too mean to buy it!

The last QM2 cruise we shared with 2 couples who neither drank or dressed up for formal evenings:rolleyes:

Depending on the length of the cruise, I may enquire if a table mate doesn't drink. For example, if it's been a week or so and I've never seen them drink. I'd probably do it as a conversational prompt.

Speaking of alcoholic etiquette, does everyone believe that if someone buys you a drink you're obligated to buy them one back? For example, I really enjoyed the company of my table mates and wanted to show my appreciation for their excellent sense of humour and the amusing anecdotes they happily had tons of. So I bought them a round of drinks; which they then reciprocated by buying us a round of drinks. Which was fine, except that I didn't need or expect a round of drinks and afterwards hoped they hadn't felt obligated.

I suppose I should write in to Dear Mary.

Depending on the length of the cruise, I may enquire if a table mate doesn't drink. For example, if it's been a week or so and I've never seen them drink. I'd probably do it as a conversational prompt.

Speaking of alcoholic etiquette, does everyone believe that if someone buys you a drink you're obligated to buy them one back? For example, I really enjoyed the company of my table mates and wanted to show my appreciation for their excellent sense of humour and the amusing anecdotes they happily had tons of. So I bought them a round of drinks; which they then reciprocated by buying us a round of drinks. Which was fine, except that I didn't need or expect a round of drinks and afterwards hoped they hadn't felt obligated.

I suppose I should write in to Dear Mary.

Yes, that would be what I would do and would probably expect. Of course there are circumstances where it is not possible to reciprocate. Sharing celebratory champagne would not make me feel obligated though.

Speaking of alcoholic etiquette, does everyone believe that if someone buys you a drink you're obligated to buy them one back? I suppose I should write in to Dear Mary.

Dear Whitemarsh,

One should endeavour to reciprocate, but not lose any sleep if one fails.

Mary

When you first walk in to a bar on Cunard and sit down, after you are asked if you'd like a drink, I noticed that it does not matter if you say yes or no, the waiter would put a sort of paper beer mat thing down on the table. I assume they do that so the other waiters know you have already been asked and so you wont be asked again.

Well, at any rate, once you say "no thanks" they wont ask you again unless you call them over.

On the subject of wine waiters:

On the QV, our's was first rate. We don't drink wine ( well, not very much ) but I do drink beer ( often several during a meal ). It got to the stage that if the wine waiter saw me finish my beer, I could gesture to my glass, he would give me a small acknowledgement ( often from some distance away ) and they he would arrive with another one. If he did not see, then he'd return every so often anyway to check.

And also, 5 pints/bottles of beer is around the same price as a bottle of wine, so he still got the same commission, but he had to do a bit more walking for it !

Dear Whitemarsh,

One should endeavour to reciprocate, but not lose any sleep if one fails.

Mary

In Glasgow one should definitely reciprocate as one may lose significant parts of one's anatomy should one fail :eek:

Cue comment from Sir M.

J

In Glasgow one should definitely reciprocate as one may lose significant parts of one's anatomy should one fail :eek:

Cue comment from Sir M.

J

So let's get this right, a Glaswegian buys you a drink, hmmmm I've heard that line as the start of a joke I think. Was it the Big Yin? Or Fankie Boyle? I remember that it was funny though. :eek:

My personal opinion is that the "staff" decide which dishes are "on" and which are "off"

In Aug, I did have Eggs Benedict in the MDR some mornings, but on others were told "not available", it was the same with several other dishes over the course of 14 days.

This is true also with respect to ordering off menu, some times the answer was "certainly" and others times was told very sternly "only what is on the menu". There was no consistency in respect to this.

My other question would be - Why was TE closed on the last night? Again from my own experience the opening and closing of this area does seem to be capricious, not only on QM2 but also on the QV.

Does anyone know why?

Archived