RCCL taking cues from the Airlines!

gzyteck

Ah, if only that were true. How many of us have flown a budget carrier for price? Compare the wages paid by the budget carriers to those paid by the old-time airlines, including what the pilots are paid. You might be surprised. How many of us say we wish there were free meals and extra legroom in coach, yet where were we all when American was offering those things, albeit for a higher price? We were all jumping on cheaper choices. So, American (and others) did away with what we clearly viewed as "frills".

Unfortunately, you can't do away with the "frill" of higher contracted salaries without re-negotiating the contract. In many cases, that means declaring bankruptcy first.

If "just about everyone" of us was "paying the way we say", we'd still have the great service, employees with higher wages, more legroom, and etc.

Oh, and maybe good-paying factory jobs, too. :)

Mary

The employees of Southwest don't seem any less happy to me than the high priced union workers of American that I encounter when I fly that airline. And the level of service provided by Southwest's employees sure does not seem to substandard to that of American.

If "just about everyone" of us was "paying the way we say", we'd still have the great service, employees with higher wages, more legroom, and etc.

Oh, and maybe good-paying factory jobs, too. :)

Obviously people are saying that lower fares are more desirable than the "frills" you mention so yes, "just about everyone" is "paying the way we say". Customers have spoken with their dollars and purchased what they consider to be the best value for the best price.

I normally fly JetBlue. I find the service, legroom and value I receive for my fare to be superior to anything AA or Delta has provided. I'll take JetBlue over an old-time airline any day. As far as higher wages for employees goes, that is an issue for the employers and employees to work out.

The employees of Southwest don't seem any less happy to me than the high priced union workers of American that I encounter when I fly that airline. And the level of service provided by Southwest's employees sure does not seem to substandard to that of American.

Southwest employees should seem happy. They are among the HIGHEST PAID in the industry.

And Southwest still manages to not charge for luggage. Imagine that.

And they have more leg room. And they let you take all the snacks you want which are an interesting variety - not just nuts or pretzels. Not to mention they usually do a good job of making flying a bit more fun. I LUV SWA. :D

Gina

And they have more leg room. And they let you take all the snacks you want which are an interesting variety - not just nuts or pretzels. Not to mention they usually do a good job of making flying a bit more fun. I LUV SWA. :D

Gina

Not to mention that most of the flights that I have done on Southwest have been ON TIME.

Not to mention that most of the flights that I have done on Southwest have been ON TIME.

I knew there was something else I wanted to say. That was it. And it's true. Rarely are they delayed by long because they can shuffle the jets around so easily - all being the same type of aircraft.

I once heard a woman go up the the gate agent saying she had missed her flight. Her fault, she was late. The agent apologized to the woman because it was going to be over an hour before she could put her on another flight. :eek: No charge for the flight change...just an apology, for not doing anything wrong.

Gina

Hey, I hear you - and I'm not trying to be a champion of American Airlines, by any means. Although, they were pretty great when I was traveling internationally on business several years ago.

About Southwest, if I'm booking a flight that I might need to change, they are my top choice, even if another carrier is slightly cheaper or much more convenient. Paying $100 or $150 to change a flight is pretty outrageous.

However, if I want to fly to Miami, well, Southwest is out, unless I'm interested in going to FLL then taking the tram. I'm often not. If I'd like to preselect my seat, and only have carry-on baggage, Southwest is often not the cheapest flight available, either. Most traditional airlines offer free checked bag(s) if you use their branded credit card, so that's not always an issue, either.

We heard "Sully" last fall at a lecture series we attend. He mentioned the huge (his words) pay cut he and other pilots took several years ago. He also stated that a key reason the airlines went to the "hub and spoke" system is because more flights then became regional flights rather than national flights. Regional flights have a lower bar for pilot training & experience, and pay. I imagine it is possible for international airlines to have both long-haul, more highly paid, pilots as well as regional, lower paid pilots. I wonder if that will come out of the AA bankruptcy decisions.

Mary

Hey, I hear you - and I'm not trying to be a champion of American Airlines, by any means. Although, they were pretty great when I was traveling internationally on business several years ago.

Mary

And I am not trying to knock American either. In fact, they do international pretty well. The last time that I flew to London I was chatting with one of the flight attendants and even she said..."We do international really well, flights within the country are another matter."

When we cruise from San Juan we almost always fly American though that might change once Southwest completes the merger with Air Tran. Comparing American's flights to San Juan with those to Europe is like comparing night and day. I am not sure why American treats them so differently.

Archived