RCCL taking cues from the Airlines!

gzyteck

The problem with saying they haven't taken anything away is that space on a cruise ship is generally a zero-sum game. If they're gonna cut the ship in half and add more space like they did with Enchantment of the Seas a few years ago then sure, it's a win-win and no one should feel put out by new dining options. But short of that, chances are that fee restaurants will added by eliminating free public areas.

I wondered about this too. Where is the space for these new for-fee restaurants coming from?

I hear what you are saying. The amenities on modern cruise ships completely blow away those offered on ships of the past. However, for me, the cruise experience itself is the main attraction. The Flowriders, rock walls, restaurants and lounges, and kid facilities are great but I'm just as happy sitting on the Promenade deck or my balcony watching the sea roll by. Sitting on the pool deck listening to a Caribbean band (with a cold drink or two) is another favorite pastime.

In the past, the lack of all the bells and whistles was compensated for by a very high level of service and attention to detail. That is what I liked best about yesterday's cruise ship. For me, all the additional fee venues/activities do is make the whole experience similar to a land based resort.

And I love doing those exact same things... when I am not climbing the wall or on the flowrider. I no longer have to decide ahead of time if I want to do a tranquil vacation or an active one or if others in the family will have an enjoyable week. I can go on an RCI ship and have it all depending on my mood of the day or of the hour. Maybe the level of service has changed from the past. I don't know. And if I had nothing much to do on the ship but sit and be waited on maybe that would mean more to me. But the level of service that I get right now more than meets my needs so, at least for now, I don't find it to be an issue.

I wondered about this too. Where is the space for these new for-fee restaurants coming from?

I don't know the answer either as all of the ship that I have been on have had them built into the ship. I have not been on a ship that had any public space taken away in order to accomadate a new "for fee" restaurant. And if you consider Oasis and Allure, what would I have liked to see on the ship in place of one of the for fee restaurants? As it is the ship has more on it that I could have ever imagined a few years ago.

Who is being forced to pay for anything???:rolleyes::confused::rolleyes:

they are referring to upping the per person cruise price as opposed to nickel and diming the passenger

why should Joe Schmoe be forced to pay an extra $250( absorbed into the cruise price) for an option he will not utilize( tapas at VCL). that $250 may be the difference between Joe sailing at all.

although I do not necessarily disagree with the opinion that all these for fee options will lower the quality/quantity of included dining options I am not sure I ..well.. care. If one is paying a basic price, one should expect basic amenities and quality of options.

but we don't need to open the can of worms and suggest custom tailoring a cruise price.. last thing we need is to say: Hey LOOK! you can sail for $35/pp per day! but if you want to use the kids clubs, that'll cost you another $15/pp pd. wanna use the pools and hot tubs?! $5 pppd and you get this nifty rubber arm band that gives you access. wanna work out at the gym? fork over $7.50 a day. wanna eat in the MDR? well you can do that for $10 each meal. but you can eat in the Buffet for $5.

but hey we'll toss in the daily housekeeping, okay?!

I just had a vision of cruising becoming like the Titanic, the first class passengers up top enjoying costly perks, and those of us paying the minimum down in steerage with the rats!

If you are going to reference Titanic:

Most people 'down in steerage with the rats' were not heading out on a fun filled vacation.

just because someone chooses to either splurge or be cost effective on a vacation does not make it the 'thems and us'. You get what you pay for. Plain and simple. Neither one is wrong or better. It is what your budget will allow.

If you find your budget vacation allows you company with rats-you might want to think of another option!!!;)

they are referring to upping the per person cruise price as opposed to nickel and diming the passenger

why should Joe Schmoe be forced to pay an extra $250( absorbed into the cruise price) for an option he will not utilize( tapas at VCL). that $250 may be the difference between Joe sailing at all.

although I do not necessarily disagree with the opinion that all these for fee options will lower the quality/quantity of included dining options I am not sure I ..well.. care. If one is paying a basic price, one should expect basic amenities and quality of options.

but we don't need to open the can of worms and suggest custom tailoring a cruise price.. last thing we need is to say: Hey LOOK! you can sail for $35/pp per day! but if you want to use the kids clubs, that'll cost you another $15/pp pd. wanna use the pools and hot tubs?! $5 pppd and you get this nifty rubber arm band that gives you access. wanna work out at the gym? fork over $7.50 a day. wanna eat in the MDR? well you can do that for $10 each meal. but you can eat in the Buffet for $5.

but hey we'll toss in the daily housekeeping, okay?!

I think you made a point for some, as they exactly don´t want Joe Schmoe to be on the ship, so they´d rather have a higher price to begin with;).

I do like your idea about a pay extra kids club and gym though. :D

Paulxyz2004 - I think the parents who use the kids program should get a special discount.

Didn't say it should be a reason NOT to have them....I am totally for them....please re-read my post....I do still believe it's part of the reason it upsets some folks so much.

Sorry - my post was to point out that every step of the way on a cruise ship - from the rate you pay to the way you get off the ship at the end of the cruise there are opportunities for those folks you mention to feel bad.

Just walking around a ship - wow, look at those folks buying the super duper camera. I guess my old Pentax will hold up until I can get back home. Gee, look at that stack of photos those folks bought! I think the ones we had the waiter take will come out even though the flash didn't work. That nice couple we met in the lounge are on deck 11. Hmmm, but that inside on deck 2 is nice.....

If people are going to feel that insecure = then there are very few things they can do in this life that will not hurt their feelings or feel it is being thrown in their face.

There are some things Royal has done poorly to reward some guests - roped off pool areas and reserved rows at the shows to name two I found most offensive but not because I'm jealous - but it is just a silly show by the cruise line to try and justify the extra they charge suite passengers without really doing anything. :rolleyes:

The problem with saying they haven't taken anything away is that space on a cruise ship is generally a zero-sum game. If they're gonna cut the ship in half and add more space like they did with Enchantment of the Seas a few years ago then sure, it's a win-win and no one should feel put out by new dining options. But short of that, chances are that fee restaurants will added by eliminating free public areas.

From what was posted here the tapas bar is going into an under utilized (in my opinion) space. In actuality it is a welcome addition because one venue the ships I've been on is lacking is a place to get light food and a drink. I love the Schooner Bar, but some wings or something would be a good addition.

So, we're the ones who led the airlines to get to where they are. When deregulation happened, the door opened for low-cost airlines to enter the playing field. (This is not an opinion on deregulation, just a chronology ;)).

Guess what? folks liked the no-frills, low cost options. When searching for a flight, how many of us make cost one of our top 2 considerations? So, the airlines compete on cost. American for many years advertised more leg room in coach. Guess what? Not enough people cared about that to fill the cabins - people voted with their pocketbooks, for the cheaper flights.

Now, here we are with cruising. As we all know, there are plenty of lines where all is really included, albeit for generally a much higher price. RCCL's "optional add-on" pricing structure allows people to spend their "extra" vacation dollars however they see fit - be it on spa treatments, upscale restaurants, drinks, excursions, bingo, you name it. Or even keep the extra cash for themselves and simply enjoy what's provided as part of the base cruise fare.

Interestingly, on our recent cruise, I decided I was going to order the Chops Steak one night from the MDR, as there is almost always a night when none of the options looks that great to me (remember "Caribbean night" anyone?).

Guess what? All the standard MDR food was great, and I never did get the Chops Steak! This was some of the best food we've ever had on a cruise, and compared very well to many higher-end land-based restaurants, too.

Go figure.

I think RCCL in adding these venues is simply providing what most customers want. Yes, there will be some areas where they make a mistake and go too far, or choose a type of venue that turns out not to be popular, but they'll correct it. JMHO :)

Mary

If you are going to reference Titanic:

Most people 'down in steerage with the rats' were not heading out on a fun filled vacation.

just because someone chooses to either splurge or be cost effective on a vacation does not make it the 'thems and us'. You get what you pay for. Plain and simple. Neither one is wrong or better. It is what your budget will allow.

If you find your budget vacation allows you company with rats-you might want to think of another option!!!;)

You got that right, on all counts. After just reading every free book about the titanic on kindle that I could get, I was thinking the same thing about those in steerage.

Gina

There are some things Royal has done poorly to reward some guests - roped off pool areas and reserved rows at the shows to name two I found most offensive but not because I'm jealous - but it is just a silly show by the cruise line to try and justify the extra they charge suite passengers without really doing anything. :rolleyes:.

Correct-it costs the cruise line nada to do this but I'm going to take a stab at the reason this was done. For all those chair hogs at both the pool and theater that hate the roped off area's-it is you who made Royal come up with this idea!!:cool:

note: So I don't get in trouble-not directed at you Temple. Directed at the anonymous chair hog group.;)

Correct-it costs the cruise line nada to do this but I'm going to take a stab at the reason this was done. For all those chair hogs at both the pool and theater that hate the roped off area's-it is you who made Royal come up with this idea!!:cool:

note: So I don't get in trouble-not directed at you Temple. Directed at the anonymous chair hog group.;)

I didn't see that finger pointed at me. But then again, do the guilty parties ever see themselves?

LOL - Funny how far we have to go sometimes because of how thin skinned some folks are.

You got that right, on all counts. After just reading every free book about the titanic on kindle that I could get, I was thinking the same thing about those in steerage.

Gina

Yup. Many of those passengers were trying to get to a place to just make a beter life for themselves and did not care much about the style of transpoprtation. It is very good reading.

Off topic-one of these days I'm going to jump to modern times and figure out this kindle thing. Still shop at the old book store!!!:o

I didn't see that finger pointed at me. But then again, do the guilty parties ever see themselves?

LOL - Funny how far we have to go sometimes because of how thin skinned some folks are.

Pheww. I can get myself in enough trouble. Just hate to do when it wasn't the plan!!!:D

So, we're the ones who led the airlines to get to where they are. When deregulation happened, the door opened for low-cost airlines to enter the playing field. (This is not an opinion on deregulation, just a chronology ;)).

Guess what? folks liked the no-frills, low cost options. When searching for a flight, how many of us make cost one of our top 2 considerations? So, the airlines compete on cost. American for many years advertised more leg room in coach. Guess what? Not enough people cared about that to fill the cabins - people voted with their pocketbooks, for the cheaper flights.

Now, here we are with cruising. As we all know, there are plenty of lines where all is really included, albeit for generally a much higher price. RCCL's "optional add-on" pricing structure allows people to spend their "extra" vacation dollars however they see fit - be it on spa treatments, upscale restaurants, drinks, excursions, bingo, you name it. Or even keep the extra cash for themselves and simply enjoy what's provided as part of the base cruise fare.

Interestingly, on our recent cruise, I decided I was going to order the Chops Steak one night from the MDR, as there is almost always a night when none of the options looks that great to me (remember "Caribbean night" anyone?).

Guess what? All the standard MDR food was great, and I never did get the Chops Steak! This was some of the best food we've ever had on a cruise, and compared very well to many higher-end land-based restaurants, too.

Go figure.

I think RCCL in adding these venues is simply providing what most customers want. Yes, there will be some areas where they make a mistake and go too far, or choose a type of venue that turns out not to be popular, but they'll correct it. JMHO :)

Mary

Excellent post Mary.

Yup. Many of those passengers were trying to get to a place to just make a beter life for themselves and did not care much about the style of transpoprtation. It is very good reading.

Off topic-one of these days I'm going to jump to modern times and figure out this kindle thing. Still shop at the old book store!!!:o

There is no Barnes and Noble on the beach in Mexico. But there is always a good book to grab at the last minute with a 3G kindle. :) I was resistant until I tried it. Now if I'm bored I can pull up what I was reading, right where I left off, on my iphone while sitting around and waiting for whatever. :)

But on topic...I think they should eliminate all first/business class on airlines. I hate walking past those people (or having steerage walk past me ;) ) Just kidding, of course.

Gina

Royal has moved the roped off pools areas to where they are now pretty much out of sight....and in areas no one wants to sit anyway....including the people that have access to them.

The reserved seating in theaters... I look at that as very welcomed after all the stupid row saving that goes on....while they aren't the best seats in the house I utilize them just not to have to deal with the aggravation of being told 10 times a seat or row of seats are being saved before finding an empty one that I can actually sit in.

I found that the restaurant packages are already available on line for Radiance. I'm going to wait until I board to book since I don't want to prepay now. There is no requirement to book anything the first night and I already know that they aren't filling those restaurants. We like to eat late anyway but I know I will have options for booking times. First or last reservations of the evening won't be necessary.

There's no chance I would have booked the Chef's table at the price they are asking. But as a package for $120 for 5 restaurants including Chef's table, I consider it a good deal. On a long cruise it will break up the monotony. And in Australia, Radiance is doing very long cruises.

I'm already liking the paid options. I liked the pay by the piece option in Izumi when we tried it in September. It actually came out cheaper than a flat rate for us. We don't gorge ourselves.

And we still love MTD on Radiance. We love having options.

Gina

Unfortunately, it is very "in your face" aggrevating for some of us who do not put towels out on chairs at 6 AM or would like a few seats together in the theater and arrive only to not be able to sit in the EMPTY UNUSED seats.

Gina

If you take away the rats, I probably would have preferred steerage. But what would you expect from someone who prefers the Windjammer to the MDR.

That's fine as long as you understand that while the quality/quantity of included options decline, the same will not hold true for the cruise fares. You will in all likelihood pay more for your basic fare and more for your options all while the quality/quantity of what you receive in return declines.

I am not completely against specialty restaurants. In fact I use them at least once on every cruise. It just seems that this trend towards a la carte pricing makes the whole cruise experience more akin to spending the week in a floating mall.

That's fine as long as you understand that while the quality/quantity of included options decline, the same will not hold true for the cruise fares. You will in all likelihood pay more for your basic fare and more for your options all while the quality/quantity of what you receive in return declines.

I am not completely against specialty restaurants. In fact I use them at least once on every cruise. It just seems that this trend towards a la carte pricing makes the whole cruise experience more akin to spending the week in a floating mall.

You are very right that these extra price options do not serve to keep cruise fares low. The object of the company is to maximize revenues in all departments. Cruise fares will rise to what ever the traffic will bear. For fee options will continue to appear as long as people patronize them. And I would not be surprised if in the future the cruise lines don't at least try to cut back on some of the fare included venues. Whether they get away with it or not will completely depend on the reaction from customers. So far RCI seems to have gotten away with it with Johnny Rocket's. Though the place always seems, to me anyway, to be dead later in the evening and that did not used to be the case when it was included in the fare.

Just read the following....

Ka-ching? Splendour of the Seas‘ Viking Crown Lounge (VCL), the circular top-ship space easily identifiable on every Royal Caribbean vessel, has been transformed into a for-fee tapas bar. The 15-year-old ship recently emerged from a five-week, $50 million refurb that included the addition of iPads in every cabin, a nursery and a half dozen new dining options, four of which are for-fee.

Gimme a break, just up the cruise fare and STOP all the fees!

Does anyone know where the space for these came from?

I figured out a long time ago that any improvements on ships will most likely involve revenue generation. I was very happy to see that Princess recently upgraded the Grand Princess to include 2 non-fee dining venues, a sit-down pizzeria and the International Cafe. I can't see RCCL doing the same.

Stags was referring to the poster who suggested doing away with the for-fee activities onboard and just blanketly raising prices across the board for everyone. In that example, you might be 'forced' to pay for things you would use. Unless you decide just to not cruise altogether, which is also your prerogative.

I think it's like most travel these days - there's no such thing as a truly ALL-inclusive. Every all-inclusive offers some add-on for extra, and it's up to you decide whether you want to spend the money. Apparently it works, because that's the model that most resorts and cruises have gone to.

And have to agree with you, happy cruising...K.O. Near Philly:)

Archived