RCCL taking cues from the Airlines!

gzyteck

When I first cruised all food was included. I still believe that all food should be included but can handle the high end speciality restaurants

Charging for JR, room service, tapas, anything in the mdr (steaks), Sea food shack, Rita's I'm against, especially a la carte pricing.

I don't like to walk around a ship with my cruise card always in my right hand.

The more food options that they can include the better cruise experience for me. I'd rather pay more so the cruise line can make a nice profit.

There is no way the cruise lines can offer the variety of food venues that many people have come to expect, AND maintain the higher food quality and service in those venues, AND include it all for a price that the general cruising population is willing to pay. People want the lowest possible cruise fare they can get; just take a look at any number of threads about mad people get when the price drops after final payment and they can't take advantage of it, or how they are waiting for a WOW sale so they can pay less, or how they are shopping for the TA that will give them the most kickbacks. People want a low price up front!

Meanwhile, you say you'd rather pay more for your cruise to have it all included, so I don't get it. What's the problem with paying as you go for just the extras you want? :confused: You'd likely end up paying the same in the end.

Meanwhile, you say you'd rather pay more for your cruise to have it all included, so I don't get it. What's the problem with paying as you go for just the extras you want? :confused: You'd likely end up paying the same in the end.

The question I would have is, where does it end? Should rock-climbing cost extra? Ice skating? Eating in the MDR? Mini-golf? Flow-riding? Tendering? Entertainers in the main theatre? Even transporting luggage off the ship at the end of the cruise. These things all cost the cruise line money, so where do you draw the line? Not everybody uses them, obviously. Should only the people that use them pay for them?

IDoes anyone know where the space for these came from?

I don't remember what ship it was or where I saw it, but I did see the new deck plans for one of the ships in line to be "Oasis-ized." For the most part, it seemed that the new venues were being put in places that were underutilized. As someone mentioned, on many ships the Viking Crown lounge is very underutilized during happy hour/evenings, so why not make part of it a new food venue? In another case, I think part of the Windjammer was converted into something else, but before anyone freaks out and says "See? They're taking away the free places" I recall that it was a very small portion of the seating space.

I don't remember what ship it was or where I saw it, but I did see the new deck plans for one of the ships in line to be "Oasis-ized." For the most part, it seemed that the new venues were being put in places that were underutilized. As someone mentioned, on many ships the Viking Crown lounge is very underutilized during happy hour/evenings, so why not make part of it a new food venue? In another case, I think part of the Windjammer was converted into something else, but before anyone freaks out and says "See? They're taking away the free places" I recall that it was a very small portion of the seating space.

In our experience on RCI (Mariner and Freedom), the last thing I want to hear is that they are taking space away from the WJ! :eek::D

In our experience on RCI (Mariner and Freedom), the last thing I want to hear is that they are taking space away from the WJ! :eek::D

Well, don't quote me on that; as I said, I don't recall where I saw what it or what ship it was. On some ships there is expanded WJ seating, not so much on others, and it may not have been WJ at all; my recollection is fuzzy.

In any event, I just took a look at the Splendour's new deck plans (don't recall if that's what I saw before) and it looks like:

1. Chef's Table: Replaced a couple of tables in the MDR

2. Chops and Izumi: each in a section of the Viking Crown Lounge, but it appears that a section of the VCL is still just the VCL. Most VCL seem underutilized to me, with a lot of dead space, so this is probably a better use.

3. Doghouse: Looks like it is in a corner of the Solarium, where the pizza is on Radiance class ships (and maybe Vision class too, I can't recall)

4. Park Cafe: Just behind the Solarium, looks like maybe space was carved out of a section of the spa/salon/gym area??

IMHO, I can't see where any public areas have been "taken away." It looks like things have shifted around or moved into underutilized areas.

I am all for variety and specialty restaurants, and like most of you agree that if you don't want to eat there, you don't have to. My fear is that RCCL is taking a page out of NCL's book, where they make the specialty restaurants really good, and the food in the main dining room borderline inedible.

I am all for the change, if they can keep the quality of the included food up to par.

There is no way the cruise lines can offer the variety of food venues that many people have come to expect, AND maintain the higher food quality and service in those venues, AND include it all for a price that the general cruising population is willing to pay. People want the lowest possible cruise fare they can get; just take a look at any number of threads about mad people get when the price drops after final payment and they can't take advantage of it, or how they are waiting for a WOW sale so they can pay less, or how they are shopping for the TA that will give them the most kickbacks. People want a low price up front!

I agree with you to a point. People want the lowest price that they can pay for the product that they want. The corporation want the highest price that they can get for the product that they offer. There is nothing really wrong with that. The consumer looks out for the consumer and corporation look out for the corporation. I certainly shop for price when I buy a car. However, if people were just looking for lowest price then on many weeks Oasis and Allure would be sailing half empty unless RCI dropped pricing. In fact, on many weeks many of RCI's ships would be sailing empty because I can usually find better pricing on other cruise lines. But I am willing to compromise on pricing, to a point, to get the product that I want.

Businesses are in business to make money. Consumers want to make their money go as far as they can. Somewhere in the middle is a compromise that the consumer is willing to pay and the corporation is willing to accept for the product that is being offered. That is the check and balance that is in the system. That is how it works.

Somewhere in the middle is a compromise that the consumer is willing to pay and the corporation is willing to accept for the product that is being offered. That is the check and balance that is in the system. That is how it works.

Yes, and apparently RC has found that compromise to be one in which they offer a product at a reasonable price that doesn't force EVERYONE to pay for ALL the bells and whistles that only SOME want. Many things are included, some are optional for a fee, and at that point they are able to fill ships to their satisfaction.

Yes, and apparently RC has found that compromise to be one in which they offer a product at a reasonable price that doesn't force EVERYONE to pay for ALL the bells and whistles that only SOME want. Many things are included, some are optional for a fee, and at that point they are able to fill ships to their satisfaction.

And I did not disagree with you on that point.

I am all for variety and specialty restaurants, and like most of you agree that if you don't want to eat there, you don't have to. My fear is that RCCL is taking a page out of NCL's book, where they make the specialty restaurants really good, and the food in the main dining room borderline inedible.

I am all for the change, if they can keep the quality of the included food up to par.

Based on our experiences with RCI in recent years, especially since the number and types of specialty restaurants has expanded considerably, your fear is totally unjustified. We have been sailing on RCI and other lines(including a few on NCL}for several decades and we have seen no evidence that the food being served in Royal Caribbean's main dining rooms could ever be described as "borderline inedible" .

Based on our experience your fear is reality, it's happened, just take out the word borderline from your statement.

However, if people were just looking for lowest price then on many weeks Oasis and Allure would be sailing half empty unless RCI dropped pricing. In fact, on many weeks many of RCI's ships would be sailing empty because I can usually find better pricing on other cruise lines. But I am willing to compromise on pricing, to a point, to get the product that I want.

I agree. Price is very important but it is not the only factor I consider when deciding on a cruise. A low fare is poor compensation for a below par cruise experience. RCCL is my line of choice because they provide what I consider a quality product for a price I'm willing to pay.

For fee options will continue to appear as long as people patronize them. And I would not be surprised if in the future the cruise lines don't at least try to cut back on some of the fare included venues. Whether they get away with it or not will completely depend on the reaction from customers. So far RCI seems to have gotten away with it with Johnny Rocket's. Though the place always seems, to me anyway, to be dead later in the evening and that did not used to be the case when it was included in the fare.

Unfortunately I believe you're right. Like I've said before, I'm not a fan of a la carte cruising but there is no denying that the for fee options seem to be a winning formula in the eyes of RCCL executives. What concerns me is how far they are willing to take it.

I'll do you one better on JRs. On my last cruise I walked up during the middle of a sea day and sat down for lunch with no waiting. Maybe it was a fluke but it was very surprising.

My only fear would the furure possibility is 'be careful what you wish for'.

If cruise lines figure out all the things we are willing to pay extra for IE: better food, better cup of coffee, cupcakes etc..... down the road, more things that used to be included will be a pay for fee. I don't know if that will ever happen but a good cup of coffee is a small but good example currently.

Sometimes-an all inclusive thing is not a bad thing. Everyone is quick to throw the 'I don't drink alcohol' but sometimes a customer can get a good value at an AI option and never touch alcohol. There are many things that could currently ring up a sea pass bill and none are alcohol!!

just some food for thought........:o

I too wish RCCL would be more AI or at least offer a full AI package. I liked when absolutely everything is included without restriction when on vacay.

While the idea sounds attractive, the devil, as always, would be in the details. Many of us prefer a low base cruise price that allows us to determine what, if any, additional expenses we will incur. An all-inclusive price if it incorporates the costs of features that we neither want or are interested in, might turn out to be less than a bargain.

Just my opinion here, but I believe that eventually, one day, there will be a charge to eat in the MDR. Again, just my opinion (which is certainly not always right!). After all, who ever thought that airlines could get away with charging for transporting suitcases?

Just my opinion here, but I believe that eventually, one day, there will be a charge to eat in the MDR. Again, just my opinion (which is certainly not always right!). After all, who ever thought that airlines could get away with charging for transporting suitcases?

If they started charging for the MDR I would be concerned that the Windjammer in the evening will start to resemble the Windjammer at lunch time.:eek::eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:;)

If they started charging for the MDR I would be concerned that the Windjammer in the evening will start to resemble the Windjammer at lunch time.:eek::eek::rolleyes:;)

Probably not....because RCI would go out of business if they did something as dumb as charging for the MDR. :D

Gina

You mean the way the airlines went out of business when they started charging to transport suitcases? ;)

There is only one way to travel quickly from point a to point b - that's fly. So we are basically trapped with air travel. And some airlines do drive themselves out of business...or at least become non-profitable. Look at AA recently.

There are many ways to take a vacation. We've taken many fabulous vacations prior to discovering cruising in 2004. And we still happily take them minus the cruise. And we fly SWA to get there whenever possible. :)

Cruise lines have gone out of business in the past and they will in the future if they aren't very careful.

Last night I finally watched my recording of "Cruise Inc. Big Money on the High Seas". It was aired in 2009 but it was still interesting. It also gave me a glimpse into NCL which I've never seen before. I wonder if NCL is still losing as much money as they were in that year.

Gina

And some airlines do drive themselves out of business...or at least become non-profitable. Look at AA recently.

Gina

A reason to go into bankruptcy is to enable a company to renegotiate all their contracts with union and non-union employees. Hard for a company to compete with a low-cost carrier that is paying their employees so much less in wages and benefits. We all say we support paying workers great wages and etc, but when it comes time to vote with our pocketbooks, how many of us "pay the way we say"?

Mary

A reason to go into bankruptcy is to enable a company to renegotiate all their contracts with union and non-union employees. Hard for a company to compete with a low-cost carrier that is paying their employees so much less in wages and benefits. We all say we support paying workers great wages and etc, but when it comes time to vote with our pocketbooks, how many of us "pay the way we say"?

Just about everyone pays "the way we say". Most customers are concerned with the value they receive for their money. If a company pays substandard wages they will usually attract substandard workers. Those substandard workers will in turn produce a substandard product. Producing a substandard product is one of the best ways to go out of business. That's the way the system works. It forces companies that want to stay in business to pay prevailing wages.

Ah, if only that were true. How many of us have flown a budget carrier for price? Compare the wages paid by the budget carriers to those paid by the old-time airlines, including what the pilots are paid. You might be surprised. How many of us say we wish there were free meals and extra legroom in coach, yet where were we all when American was offering those things, albeit for a higher price? We were all jumping on cheaper choices. So, American (and others) did away with what we clearly viewed as "frills".

Unfortunately, you can't do away with the "frill" of higher contracted salaries without re-negotiating the contract. In many cases, that means declaring bankruptcy first.

If "just about everyone" of us was "paying the way we say", we'd still have the great service, employees with higher wages, more legroom, and etc.

Oh, and maybe good-paying factory jobs, too. :)

Mary

Archived