Urgent message to those driving into long beach or san pedro for their cruise!

Immebsmom

The 60 freeway East and West bound between the 605 and 710 is closed. While most folks going to San Pedro or Long Beach will not take this freeway, it's closure is having a heavy impact to the 210, 10 and 91 freeways as they are the alternate East and West routes. Please plan accordingly for extra travel time. Currently the freeway will be closed through the weekend at a minimum and possibly into next week. During the weekend the traffic will be worse, than normal, but during the week, expect major grid lock and much longer commute times.

This was caused by a tanker fire that destroyed the freeway and possibly the overpass it was under. They know the freeway has to be demolished and destroyed, and they are still inspecting the overpass to determine it's fate.

Plan accordingly and safe travels to all!!

Laura

The 60 freeway East and West bound between the 605 and 710 is closed. While most folks going to San Pedro or Long Beach will not take this freeway, it's closure is having a heavy impact to the 210, 10 and 91 freeways as they are the alternate East and West routes. Please plan accordingly for extra travel time. Currently the freeway will be closed through the weekend at a minimum and possibly into next week. During the weekend the traffic will be worse, than normal, but during the week, expect major grid lock and much longer commute times.

This was caused by a tanker fire that destroyed the freeway and possibly the overpass it was under. They know the freeway has to be demolished and destroyed, and they are still inspecting the overpass to determine it's fate.

Plan accordingly and safe travels to all!!

Laura

Just when you think traffic in LA can't get worse, it gets worse. Best of luck to those people embarking and disembarking the Sapphire this Saturday:(

it will reopen tonight, no worries. but it is raining and cold here.

KABC is reporting that Caltrans hopes to have it open by Friday afternoon's rush hour...much better than the original estimate of at least through the weekend or into next week!

And those on the west side will be taking the 405 to the 11. Not sure about those coming from the south. It had a negative effect on the freeways yesterday, and most likely today. I had sent an email to my hubby who works downtown, but by the time he left work last night, he didn't have problems going home to the SFV (he doesn't take the 60).

It's just a reminder that traffic in LA can be affected by construction or other problems. Don't count on flying into LAX or one of the other airports just a couple of hours before your cruise, and don't book a post-cruise flight in the morning of your disembarkation.

Based on Caltrans latest estimate for the Pomona Fwy (60) closure between the 605 & 710, it's now until sometime this weekend so it could affect some driving from the LA area to San Pedro to board the Sapphire on Saturday. Anyone who would have taken the 60 to the 110 may now take the 91 to the 110 which would make traffic on the 91 worse than normal. Caltrans is recommending adding an extra hour or two for those driving east/west on LA area freeways until the 60 reopens. :eek:

Hopefully it's as uneventful as "Carmageddon" & there won't be the delays they're predicting. ;)

We were on the freeways yesterday and it was HORRIBLE!!!! Twice as much traffic and it took 1.5 hours extra to get somewhere. Please, please, please, add some extra time to your drives! Check the traffic reports online before you leave to see what the status is of the freeway you are looking to take. http://www.abc7.com has a great traffic link on their front webpage that shows you the status off all the freeways in the area. If there are no lights that segment is closed. Green is good, yellow is dicey and red and parking lot.

Regards, and safe travels everyone!

And speaking of cars and Long Beach, if you've rented with Budget to pick up or return in DOWNTOWN Long Beach, you are hopefully aware that the Budget downtown office is no longer there. Budget did not let me know this and I don't know when they planned to surprise me with that information, which I discovered quite by accident. Avis is available downtown LB. Double check this information to be certain I haven't made an error......

Archived