Vegetarian Royal Caribbean?

perlk

I read somewhere that Royal Caribbean restaurant menus had a decent selection for vegetarians. So I booked the cruise in January on Liberty of the Seas. Now after I've already booked the cruise, I've read a few other places that the restaurants on Royal Caribbean lines are less than vegetarian-friendly.

Anyone out there have an opinion? Any vegetarians ever sailed on Liberty of the Seas - and if so, what do you recommend?

Edited by perlk

I read somewhere that Royal Caribbean restaurant menus had a decent selection for vegetarians. So I booked the cruise in January on Liberty of the Seas. Now after I've already booked the cruise, I've read a few other places that the restaurants on Royal Caribbean lines are less than vegetarian-friendly.

Anyone out there have an opinion? Any vegetarians ever sailed on Liberty of the Seas - and if so, what do you recommend?

Just my 2 cents for ya: When we were on Monarch the last two times, each night in MDR i ordered off the Indian Option Menu that they had each night -- always a cpl veg dishes on there and they were fantastic!

I'm sure the Liberty does this too -- in fact I'm hoping so -- I'm sailing on her in a couple of months and I'm looking forward to my Indian menu again !

I've sailed on Liberty twice and I've never had a problem getting tasty vegetarian food.

The Promenade cafe generally has vegetarian sandwiches and antipasto type salads--think grilled eggplant, etc. The pizza place--think it's called Sorentos--has veggie pizza. Windjammer always has vegetarian options. Even Johnny Rockets has a veggie burger. In the main dining room there will always be a couple of vegetarian friendly options on the menu--with one being an Indian inspired dish.

I have had a bit of trouble getting vegetarian options in the speciality restaurants. You can find vegetarian food in Portofino, but make sure you ask questions about the menu items. A lot of the Portofino menu items that might appear vegetarian actually contain chicken or beef stock.

You definitely will not go hungry.

There was actually a recent thread on this a couple of weeks ago, so you may want to search for more responses.

But one of my DD's is a vegetarian and she had no problems on the NOS this past July. She ate really well. She loved the Indian selections (our waiter was from India and he would recommend when to get what each night). She also got the pasta dishes. A couple of times they made up a plate for her by modifying selections on the menu.

And she is a very picky eater. She is really excited about going on the Mariner this summer due to the good food she had on NOS.

• 5 years later...
Does Royal Caribbean provide Indian bread (such as naan) with the Indian vegetarian food, because we are pure Indian Vegetarians and are sailing on the Adventure in June. SO excited, thanks in advance for any help

I cannot say if naan would be on every ship, but we have been served naan with Indian entrees in the Main Dining Room.

I'm primarily vegetarian. In my experience, if you are a "healthy" vegetarian (as opposed to wanting to eat pasta every night) there aren't a ton of options in RC main dining. But most vegetarians are used to that experience because it's often like that when dining out. I did have a gristly lump of mystery meat in a supposedly vegetarian meal in main dining that was pretty gross and helped turn me off to main dining. The specialty restaurants are better and Windjammer has a decent selection of vegetarian options. Promenade is hit or miss (I once had a veggie wrap that was literally just a bag of mixed frozen veggies thrown into a tortilla). But certainly no vegetarian is going to starve on RC.