Australian Accents

While the accents might not be so definable to others we use different terminology in some instances.

We have a case in, my nephew from Queensland has a port and Americans may refer to the same article as luggage.

We wear a parka the nephew wears an anorak - half length topcoat to keep you warm.

It's all about where you come from

I grew up in Australia - when cold we put on a jumper. I moved to NZ - you put on a jersey. Other people may call it a pullover.

When I worked in Ireland once again it was a jumper.

Difference may relate to early settlers. Probably more Irish went to Australia and more Scots went to NZ in the 1800s.

There may be slightly different accents from State to State in Australia but to an American it would be completely bewildering to come across our rhyming slang which in most cases originates from the cockney rhyming slang in England. We have added our own variations of course. Some examples are...."Dog and Bone" for phone, "plates of meat" for feet, and the list goes on and on and is still evolving. We also have peculiar words for specific things such as "ankle biters" for kids etc. So for someone from USA exposed to our own unique variations to the English language in Australia it will either be very funny or very confusing. There are big differences between the idioms and terminologies to our language in remote rural communities compared with the big cities.

The greater pity is that "political correctness" is slowly killing off our unique terminologies.

John

While the accents might not be so definable to others we use different terminology in some instances.

We have a case in, my nephew from Queensland has a port and Americans may refer to the same article as luggage.

We wear a parka the nephew wears an anorak - half length topcoat to keep you warm.

It's all about where you come from

LOL, yessssss! When we moved to NZ I was the only one in my school class who knew what a portmanteau was. So, you see, Qlders are rather posh! We don't have anything as common as a suitcase! ;):D

If you ask a NZer "How are you?" and they reply "I'm a box of fluffy ducks". They mean they are good or very good.

My first patient I encountered when I started work told me they were a "box of fluffy ducks". I wondered if I had wandered into the Psychiartic ward rather than general medical.

I grew up in Australia - when cold we put on a jumper. I moved to NZ - you put on a jersey. Other people may call it a pullover.

When I worked in Ireland once again it was a jumper.

Difference may relate to early settlers. Probably more Irish went to Australia and more Scots went to NZ in the 1800s.

Here in the States it's a sweater - a pullover if no buttons or a cardigan if it has buttons.

Eh? Whatya sayin'??? There ain't much difference init roolly! It's just that the rest of them Awstrayyyyylians don't talk posh like what we duz! :cool:

Seriously, I don't think there's as much difference between Australian accents as there is in the UK. My DH comes from Cheshire - not far across the Mersey from Liverpool, but the difference in local accents can be huge.

A funny story - we came back from the UK in a migrant ship - English, Dutch, German and Italian folk. One morning I was in the laundrette having a conversation of sorts with a girl from Liverpool. Another English woman came in to do some ironing and my friend told her to be careful. She said, "I burnt my shirt with that iron". The English woman said, "I'm sorry, I'm English!" Soooo funny - we all had a good laugh! :D (Didn't see any laundry rage in those days, lol.)

I like the TV show, Taggart, but I must admit I do struggle with the accents on that show, especially when they have music in the (not so) background. :rolleyes:

My DH comes from Liverpool Sandie, although he left there in the late 60's. He doesn't have such a strong Scouse accent but does still have a bit of an accent.

Whereas I was born in NZ went to school in the UK and have lived here for the past 15 years. No-one can pick my accent at all it's such a mixture...lol

Jilly:)

My DH comes from Liverpool Sandie, although he left there in the late 60's. He doesn't have such a strong Scouse accent but does still have a bit of an accent.

Whereas I was born in NZ went to school in the UK and have lived here for the past 15 years. No-one can pick my accent at all it's such a mixture...lol

Jilly:)

Jilly, mine is a mix as well, spoke Kiwi when we lived there, caught pommie off DH, and also when we lived there, and our daughter, who has never been out of Qld, is often asked if she is English. :D

We are from country NSW and have a fairly typical Australian accent (or so we thought). We don't speak with a long drawl or anything! When we were in Hawaii earlier this year we were mistaken for being British several times due to our accent.

Every time we cruise from the US we are asked if we are Australian and believe me, a Brummie (someone from Birmingham) sounds nothing like an Australian??

Earlier this year, cruising from NYC, we hadn't got the faintest idea what someone was saying when they asked, 'what's the weather like back home as it's your winter time isn't it?'. My 8yo looked at the gentleman like he was insane - August......middle of winter :confused:. When the penny dropped (not sure if you know that saying?), we had to explain to him that the gentleman thought we were Australian and it was winter there!!!!

And a TRUE BLUE Queenslander does not eat Peanut Butter. We eat Peanut Paste!!

Barry

Now you're talking!! But I think we have totally confused the OP and she has gone home. When my daughter was at Uni, there was an incident on the news where someone had "done a runner". The US exchange students thought it was something rude. (@ the OP, that means the person had cleared out, I mean taken off....... oh you know, had disappeared.)

Archived