Carombolla at Friars Bay

budamom

We were there a week or so ago, its just opened, very nice, not many beds for hire, so get there early, we just sat on our towels, food looked good, bar reasonably priced, beach was beautiful and clean and water was crystal clear and calm, good snorkelling from the beach. Good washrooms too.

we went to cockleshell on a previous visit, and enjoyed Carembola a lot more.

enjoy your trip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Cab fare was $21 for the four of us from the port, and they wanted $20 per person to use a lounge and umbrella. It's by far the sandiest and cleanest spot on Shipwreck/Sout Friars Beach, but we decided to save some money by walking down to Shipwreck for lunch and drinks. If you can afford it, it's a beautiful spot.

• 2 weeks later...

We took a tour of the island, and at the end of the tour had a late lunch and beach afternoon at Carambola. It IS expensive. Lunch with one cocktail for the four of us was over $120. Plus, the lounge chair charge is extreme, but we were told that "the owners don't care."

I highly recommend that you take the island tour we took first, with a private guide, Bertram Daniel of "On De Watch" taxi service. Very nice van, super nice older guy who knows everything about St. Kitts (including some of the local colorful characters who you will see as you are being driven around). We found him and were so lucky that we did. We have been all over the Caribbean, and on many taxi tours, and this was by far the best we have ever had, mainly because of Bertram. And only $20 a person for four people. Considering the price of the beach chairs, the tour was a real bargain. His mobile number is 1-869-668-9723. I hope some people use him. We even met his wife who has a booth by the pier -- what a nice family.

We were there two weeks ago - very nice - really good food and great relaxing ambiance. Lovely beach too - but not a lot of shade. The facility had only been open a couple of months when we were there - definitely more upscale than most beach facilities with spotlessly clean washrooms/change rooms.

Did not see any monkeys at Carambola. As you noted, Shipwreck feeds them...but keeps them a respectible distance from the picnic tables, food area and bar. It's a matter of different strokes for different folks between the two areas...which are on the same beach...as Carambola features uniformed staff members, a quiet atmosphere, and higher costs compared to Shipwreck being more of a party atmosphere, with low drink and food prices. We enjoyed sharing a table there with some college girls who were attending the Ross Veterinary School on the island, and they were delightful companions.

Just DO IT! Just got back from a wonderful cruise and we stayed here all day! Just pristine. Great food, Great service. looks like a Private Club! Rental equipment and small boats available. Gourmet food! Changing rooms and clean bathrooms.

About $14 cab fare; 20 minutes tops; rentals for beach lounges a bit pricey, but you are in paradise. Food also a bit pricey , but your on vacation!

Take a short walk to the ShipReck Bar and see the monkeys. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Bruce, Thank you, loved, loved loved that beach club. Went with friends and we all agreed it was worth every extra penny! Thanks for the good info. This is why I go to CC.

Thanks again Bruce it was like night and day compared to Shipwreck, lol;).

• 1 month later...

yeah this was one of the most beautuful places on earth. Def expensive I think my dring was 12 dollars at that price I only had one. We rented one chair and shared it. We paid 4 dollars each way for a cab. I will be going back there next year. I can't wait.

• 2 weeks later...

My advice: get there early.

We went there toward the end of a tour. By the time we got there (about 11:30am) there were no loungers available. We decided to go inside and order some drinks and lunch - but were taken aback by the prices.

Us and another couple on our tour asked the driver to just take us back to town where we had a fabulous lunch.

It is a beautiful beach area, but be prepared for crowds and high $$$$.

Despite all that, St. Kitts was far and away my favorite port on that cruise!

Ann

Archived