Flight from San Juan

2Atlantamen

Have the opportunity to book a flight out of San Juan at 10:45am after returning on 3/11 aboard the Victory. Has anyone had such an early flight and are we risking not making the flight? We have always gotten off other cruise ships in plenty of time but not sure of Carnival. Thanks.

We just returned from a Bahamas cruise on the Fascination. We have cruised with Carnival before but this was the first cruise that we had to catch a return flight home. They gave the option for cruisers with "early" flights to disembark first. I think scheduled time for these cruisers was between 7:00-7:45. You had to go to the service desk to request this early time. You might want to call Carnival and verify the earliest you would be able to get off. Not sure if that was any help at all. :)

I would not do it. San Juan airport is usually a complete zoo on disembarkation days. Not only would the ship have to arrive on time, you would have to get off, get through customs, get a taxi to the airport with no traffic.

Once at the airport, you have to wait in line to go through the agricultural inspection, then wait in line to check bags, then wait in the security line.

San Juan is not a speedy place to leave from when it is the least bit busy.

You are going to put yourself under a lot of stress and erase the calm state you reach on the cruise.

I agree, SJU is a nightmare to get through on a Saturday or Sunday. We now stay through Monday to avoid the crowds. No way I would take a chance on anything in the morning. You'll be lucky to make an early afternoon flight at that airport.

I agree, SJU is a nightmare to get through on a Saturday or Sunday. We now stay through Monday to avoid the crowds. No way I would take a chance on anything in the morning. You'll be lucky to make an early afternoon flight at that airport.

I usually stay through Monday also. The airport is quieter and it is also a nice to take that extra day before transitioning back to the real world. The cruises out of San Juan are by far my favorites.

We arrived at the airport at 10:30 for a 3:00 flight. 1 hour in the agriculture inspection line, 1.5 hours in the US Air line to check bags. Arrived at security gate with maybe 3000 other passengers. Waited in line for another 1.5 hours. Still not half way through. Flight ended up being delayed and we finally left San Juan at 9:00.

Too many people flying out on Sunday. There were 5 ships in port which means maybe 12000 people flying out? Airport cannot handle it.

Will defintely do the Victory crusie again. Will just leave on Monday.

Have to agree. We have done Victory twice out of PR and the airport is a mess on cruise arrival day. We flew home on Monday last year. It was cheaper and we totally enjoyed an extra day in San Juan. Spent the day by the pool totally relaxing. We saved enough money to pay for the hotel by taking the flight the next day.

Oh boy, now I'm a bit nervous. We have flights at 12:30. If we do self-assist and get off the ship as soon as possible, will we get through all the inspection, baggage and security lines in time?

12:30 is still pushing it. You have a better chance at getting out than OP's 10:45. If the ship is on time and you are able to get off and through customs, then catch a cab to beat everybody, then you have a chance. Just be prepared in case it is bad and you miss the flight.

Our last four cruises out of SJU we had return flights between 10:15 - 10:45 and have never had any issues making the flights.

I agree that SJU airports very busy on Saturday and Sunday but if you are one of first few groups off the ship you will beat the crowds to the airport and breeze through agricualture inspection, check-in and security.

Absolutely love the cruises out of San Juan. They by far have the best ports (IMHO). And San Juan itself is a 'mini vacation' before the cruise if you get there early enough prior. 2 of my 6 cruises have been out of San Juan and based on that there is no way I would schedule a 10:45.That airport is a zoo post cruise. Took us forever to get through the lines.

Others have stated they made those early flights just fine, and I am sure they have. As for me, that is just too much stress for me. My entire last day of the cruise (knowing me) I would be worrying about making that flight. Whatever you decide, have a GREAT cruise!

Oh boy, now I'm a bit nervous. We have flights at 12:30. If we do self-assist and get off the ship as soon as possible, will we get through all the inspection, baggage and security lines in time?

I'll simply say that two years ago, we had a 1:30 pm flight out of SJU on Sunday. Five cruise ships all docked back in San Juan that morning. Think 12,000-15,000 people, almost all of whom are headed to the airport to catch flights home. We got to the airport just after 9:00 am and arrived at our gate as the flight was boarding. The security lines alone were out the building and around the corner. If we fly out of SJU again, I will not book a flight before 3:00 pm.

Basically you have 2 choices at this airport get off the ship early and wait or dont and wait for later flights either way you have to sit in a crappy airport , the first avoids the crowds and there are 2 security gates to pass through the 2nd is kind of hidden behind McDonalds or down in that area I swear they dont make that one know so locals can use it without waiting in that huge line. We found it and always use that as oppsed to other one that will line up out of the airport. If I have my choice on a flight I will book noonish get off by 8 beat the crowds like we did in Oct and we where checked in and sitting at McDonalds by 9 grabbed a bite and breezed through that back gate still had over 2 hours to wait for our flight but we have had 3 or 4 pm flights where had 4 hours or more to wait :(

Archived