Liberty review

maumekim

Thank you. Yes, she says she had a wonderful time. She wants to go again..lol

What a really good review and the photo's were an add bonus. We are looking at this ship and itinerary this summer....so you information about the ship was very useful. Thank you for posting it. I hope you mother had a wonderful vacation.

OceanDreams

I really think it was an off day for the chef and the waitress that day as others said it was great on other days. Good with bad I guess. All in all I had a great time, can't deny that.

I liked the review. All in all seems like you had a good time. It does seem odd about the Steakhouse, normally they are pretty good. I have seen a couple people say here lately that the steakhouses may be slippin a little bit.

Well, that's a two answer question.

On one hand, yes...it was plenty of time. We took a Victor Boddan "best of Roatan tour" and was able to see the entire island with stops at the Mahogany store, the monkey business place on Victors land ( with plenty of time with the animals) a stop at a private beach for some refreshments, and quite a few photo stops. We would have had time for lunch stops, playing in the ocean, and a few more photo ops but it was raining and mom was tired. We actually got back to the ship 2 hours before we were due to be back, but could have kept going if we wanted ( nice thing about the VB private tours) last time I was there (January) it was pouring, so we only went to Mahogany Beach and sat in Fat Tuesdays a few hours ( except a few photo taking jaunts in between jaunts)

On the other hand, no...if I was alone or with someone who could go longer, there's never enough time there. Roatan is one of my favorite places and I could stay for weeks. I think Carnival really should stay longer in this port. They have built an amazing dock / beach there and even an overnight would be fun with the 4 restaurants/bars. Big plus is where Carnival docks is a huge gated area so even if Roatan had crime ( its less than 1% at the time we were there) passengers would be safe. If I go again, and have the option, I will fly in and stay awhile at one of the resorts like Fantasy Island, so I can do a lot more.

Hi there,

Great review! We are thinking about this cruise for September but aren't thrilled about what we think might be the lack of time spent in some ports, especially Roatan. What did you think of the hours/amount of time Carnival stayed in Roatan? Was it enough for you? Did you like the hours that you were in port or did you think you arrived and left too early? Thanks for your input!

Your welcome, and thank you so much for the compliment. I'm always a bit apprehensive about posting a review since I know my views aren't always similar to others. I'm pretty easy to please but when it's bad, it's really got to be bad...and I ramble about it.lol

I really enjoyed the Liberty. I did get turned around a bit but finding your way around is half the fun ( for me anyway)

If you go, you will love the staff. I don't know if it's the new relaxed t-shirt uniforms or just that they are great staff members, but it seemed all on Lido were happy and fun to be around.

Ooh and don't pass up a breakfast burrito! They are amazingly good.

I really enjoyed your very organized review. The Liberty upgrades will probably make her the next cruise for us. I'm sorry about your steakhouse experience, but glad that you rolled with the punches and didn't let that ruin your cruise. Thanks so much for sharing!

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I am in fact 1 booking away from Platinum (I have Alaska and Hawaii booked) I'd really like the Hawaii on Splendor to be my Platinum cruise so I'm going to try to get one in before then.

Mom has been sick a very long time. She has been through quite a bit in her life and at 63 she's more liken to 80. I was glad she finally decided to go on a vacation, and really glad it was done with me. Considering she is terrified of flying and boats, I thought it would be too much for her, but she loved it and wants to go again!

I enjoyed reading your detailed review along with the excellent pictures. I see you're on a fast track to Platinum, with so many CCL cruises. Sorry to hear of your mother's health issues; sure hope she had a nice vacation.

I think it is so lovely that you were able to take you mom on this lovely vacation! I know my mom would have loved to go on a cruise but alas it never happened due to illness and complications - sure wish I could have done that for her before she passed away :(.....

...and I am counting the days til I board the Liberty - so thanks for the great review and pics! :)

I'm assuming the airport dictated where the bus was to park, or maybe just a change for that day? I don't know for sure but to have no luggage carts and no one to help was really bad...but then I guess I should have thought about that possibility and planned better.

I'm not sure what the problem was in Harry's. Maybe because it was Elegant night? Maybe because we were one of the first reservations? Who knows.

Thank you for your wonderful review! I loved the layout with the photos. I was appalled to hear about your bad experience at the airport; why did the Carnival shuttle employee send you so far away? And I'm sure the server you got at Harrys was at the end of their contract, I've heard of bad service happening because of this.

I hope your mom enjoyed her cruise, and you all enjoy many future cruises together!

Christina

The tender to Belize. Hmm, well that's a good question. I didn't really time it, but it seemed like forever. I'm sure it was less than 15 minutes from boarding to getting to port but the real time consumer was getting on and getting off the tender. that can take 10 minutes or more at each end.

First you need to get a number to even get a chance to get on the tender. If you've booked an excursion through carnival, you get first dibs on numbers. Then after getting a number you wait and wait until they call that number. From there you stand in line to get on the tender, take the 10 min or so ride to port then wait to get off ( double decker tender holds a lot of people). However, if you don't have a planned excursion, you can wait until they call out that you no longer need a number, then you go straight to the tender to get on. This could be an hour or so after anchoring. In that case you just have the waiting at the getting on and off points. We waited and went after the numbers. From the time we left our room to the time we stepped foot on the dock in Belize it was 35 minutes. Some had quicker, some had longer. Coming back was about an hour. The biggest wait was getting from tensor to ship. It was choppy so it took longer to get people across the ramp, plus our tender was completely packed top to bottom.

The one thing I did not like (I have bad knees and steps kill me) is that you get on the tender from the ship on the top level, and get off in Belize from the lower level, and reverse going back...so your climbing stairs each time. Not a big deal for most to.

as for Cozumel, we docked port this time. The photo of the ship in my review is of the docking in Cozumel. LOVE Cozumel...the pier however is the longest I Have ever seen...so much so that they have pedicabs!

Great review - thanks for sharing. I really like the way you set the photos within. Bummer about Harry's - that is just wrong.

Question: How long was the tender ride into Belize and did you find long lines to get off or have long lines and a long wait to tender back? Also, I know it is subject to change, but did you dock port or starboard at Cozumel?

Thanks.

No, and I was disappointed as that and the new comedians were two of the things I was looking forward to.

This is a great alternative transportation company ..... we have always had great resolutes with them.

Question for OP ~ was the Hasbro theme games in place yet?

OceanDreams

Thank you for the awesome compliments!

I try to either type out things each night or take notes here and there during my cruise because I tend to forget things if I don't. However I am an insomniac and play on my iPad when I get into bed to unwind..so it's a perfect time to jot notes.

I used a program called pages (MAC) to write the review. I really like it, but it was not possible to upload it to my website nor here because it was too big. But thankfully MAC has iWork!

If you have PC ( or mac for that matter) you can use This site (free) multiply.com and then also link to here.

Have a great trip in April!

Kim

An awesome review...honest, complete, well-written and with pictures. Can't ask for more! Also liked having a complete review in one "dump." Others can take days to complete but I completely understand that since most people have lives and other priorities. When I do a review after our cruise in April I'll do the same. I'm going to take a look at the site you used or something like it and write it up on a daily basis (with pictures) and just hit send when I get back home!

Thank you!

We did this itenerary on Valor too (jan 2011) except Belize tenders were on strike, so they took us to Costa Maya - only based on what we saw I prefer Costa Maya.

Eastern is one of the ones I'm thinking about doing before my Hawaii trip (so Hawaii will be Platinum)

Have a great time in March!

This is by far the best review as far as design and its layout! We did the same itinerary only on the Valor in March of 2010. We enjoyed Carnival very much and we are booked on the Freedom this coming March for the eastern itinerary. I also agree with you about Roatan, by far my favorite port of call.

Thanks for your review!

Britt, glad I could help. Lol

I have nothing to compare Carnival to, but it's funny that I've heard this same comment about sky from others.

I personally like carnival because of the fun, down to earth atmosphere. If you like elegance, class, and upscale, Carnival may not be for you. It's not Walmart in the hood, but it isn't Ritz on Park avenue either. Carnival is clean, fun, and a value. Yes, I saw many people dressed to the nines almost every day, but also saw relaxed dress too. (I'm not a people evaluator so unless it's extremely revealing or extremely elegant everyone could be wearing the same thing for all I know lol)

I hope you book and have a wonderful time.

Kim

Thank you so much for an awesome review!!! We are debating about taking a cruise again (NCL Sky was just terrible) and I think that your review has helped us make the decision to go with Carnival!!! :D

Staci, I didn't know that! You know, I didn't even think to ask either. I think Alin had me memorized because when I would get up to him, I just glazed over...hahaha

Great Review and awesome Pics....I do want to add you CAN get the fries Unseasoned as they did it for me every time since they do offer seasoned and non seasoned..For those who will be sailing on her just ask...

Hey neighbor!

I'm sure you will enjoy yourself. Every person from Ohio I have met has loved Carnival...must be our kinda ships

Don't miss the breakfast burritos and the blue long islands (punchliner)

So I am reading your review you mention how much you love Southwest and then I get to a Wendys quote , I'm like man she has to be from Ohio lol . I look yes a neighbor , loved your review . We have a ways off but looking foward to all of the things you enjoyed. :):)

I'm so sorry. I wish you could have gotten the opportunity.

Hope you have a great time on Liberty!

I think it is so lovely that you were able to take you mom on this lovely vacation! I know my mom would have loved to go on a cruise but alas it never happened due to illness and complications - sure wish I could have done that for her before she passed away :(.....

...and I am counting the days til I board the Liberty - so thanks for the great review and pics! :)

Staci, I didn't know that! You know, I didn't even think to ask either. I think Alin had me memorized because when I would get up to him, I just glazed over...hahaha

The funny thing about that is, I have slightly high blood pressure and asked the guy can I get them unseasoned? Now I dont think that if my BP wasn't an issue if I would have asked either but he said yes we have seasoned and unseasoned but Most people do not know and they should have it somewhere Non-Seasoned Fries Available...lol

and there was no Salt thank goodness on them either and believe it or not my BP was just fine after eating the burger and fries...:)

Hey neighbor!

I'm sure you will enjoy yourself. Every person from Ohio I have met has loved Carnival...must be our kinda ships

Don't miss the breakfast burritos and the blue long islands (punchliner)

Looking foward to the Blue Iguana , and Guys burgers , and all of the new features:)

Archived