Cruise Critic News Release on Star Re-Launch

Isn't the NCL Star still in Hawaii off loading the passengers the ship had for it's last Hawaii cruise? Maybe the disembarkation is done, but the ship could hardly be in drydock on the the west coast!! Is the news release a little premature? Maybe it was supposed to be on the boards/system in two weeks--not now. The CC news release has been out for at least three days--I read it the day (4/30/04) we returned from our Star cruise which was the next to last one in Hawaii. We had stayed four extra days in Honolulu.

How long will the Star take to get to the west coast with that one bad pod? NCl CANCELLED the May 2 repo cruise that was supposed to take the Star to Vancouver prior to the refurbishment for the Alaska cruises. So the ship is not cruising, but it sure isn't any where near the west coast. The news release gives a rather strange picture, and doesn't seem to be accurate timewise.

Any explanations?

Sassycassie

Hey CrusingfromMN:

Had a really super time; both the cruise and the post cruise stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. We will be doing a review--may take awhile. Seems we have a million things to do. Did you read the great review by mnstar? She did a fine one, and got it out in a couple of days. We spent some really quality time with mnstar and her dh. Swell people!!

Also had a terrific meeting w/Star top brass at the CC get together on MOnday night. Only mnstar and us showed up, but it was terrific. Star officers there were the Hotel Director, Cruise Director, Asst. Cruise Director and the Food and Beverage Director!! Too bad there weren't more Cruise Critic folks there to enjoy the company and the information they shared.

WE didn't get to the Hanohano Room unfortunately. When we got in Hawaii on Saturday, we were both pretty bushed from the flight, so we just walked across the street to Tony Roma's Rib place. Very nice. We were in there very early so not much of a crowd yet. Filled up before we left. Meal was good and price really reasonable we thought. The Sheraton Waikiki was too far for me to walk, so when we spent the four days at the HHV, we ate at the Golden Dragon (at sundown--beautiful) and at Bubba Gumps the two nights we had available. We did the Royal Hawaiian Luau--that was a fun evening. The other night we ate out at the Polynesian Cultural Center and saw that show. Really good, too. Seems like I am doing a mini review right now! At least for the post cruise portion. It was all so wonderful, the review won't have much negative. Hope to get it done sometime this week. Thanks for your suggestions, crusingfromMN. Next time we go back to Hawaii we will certainly try to work the Hanohano room in to the itinerary. There is so much to do, it is really hard to get everything in that you want. Fun trying, though.

Wonder if anyone at CC will answer our questions on the News Release. Aloha for now.

Sassycassie

I am currently on the RCL Radiance docked at San Francisco. We will be here all day and I will scout around to see if the star is here. I will be on her July 4th Alaska sailing.

Hi Troden,

I just passed the Radiance coming into the city on a ferry, good to see you!! LOL

I can tell you that the Star was not in dry dock here as of yesterday afternoon and I saw no sign of her as we pulled into the ferry terminal this morning.

I'm anxious to see her myself since we're considering her mexican itinerary for Oct.

I'm just off Maasdam as of Sunday and am ready to book another Free-Style.

Jeff

1968 Lurline (Matson)

1969 Mariposa (Matson)

1998 Seabreeze (Premier)

1998 Century (Celebrity)

1999 Seabreeze (Premier)

1999 Norwegian Crown (NCL)

1999 Voyager of the Seas (RCL)

2000 Westerdam (HAL)

2000 Carnival Victory (CCL)

2000 Sensation (CCL)

2001 Mercury (Celebrity)

2001 Norwegian Majesty (NCL)

2001 Vision of the Seas (RCL)

2002 Norwegian Wind (NCL)

2004 Maasdam (HAL)

Hi Jeff! Can you send your email address to us so we can send you a photo we think you'd enjoy from the St. Thomas trek? Somehow I've lost your address

Melissa

Carnival 1984

Chandris 1986

Norway 1993

Ryndam 1995

Norway 2000

Norway 2002

NCL Sun

12/7 2003 Wedding

HAL Maasdam April 2004

We just returned from the last sailing of the Star in Hawaii. On board, they told us that the Star would take about 7 days to transit the Pacific, then be in drydock in SF. The crew was planning on a total of 29 days in "dry dock - including transit time".

Unfortunately the weather did not cooperate for the CC meeting. The rain forced the closure of the Biergarten, however, two couples did show for the gathering and then wew went inside to get out of the weather. I plan on posting a review/report later this week.

Serving America's TRUE heroes - Her Veterans- every day

Hi,

The web cam shows her at sea and it looks pretty early AM jusding from teh light in the sky, so she must still be near Hawiian waters.

1968 Lurline (Matson)

1969 Mariposa (Matson)

1998 Seabreeze (Premier)

1998 Century (Celebrity)

1999 Seabreeze (Premier)

1999 Norwegian Crown (NCL)

1999 Voyager of the Seas (RCL)

2000 Westerdam (HAL)

2000 Carnival Victory (CCL)

2000 Sensation (CCL)

2001 Mercury (Celebrity)

2001 Norwegian Majesty (NCL)