Carnival Dream Picture Review, December 10th-17th, 2011

italianfemmy

Add me to your list of groupies. When I first started reading your review I was disappointed only because we did the western on the Dream last year and are going on the eastern this year. I am looking for eastern reviews mostly just to see what people did at the ports. I thought I don't need to read about the ship again. Oh well, you got me hooked with your fantastic pictures! I have done a review myself and I know it is very time consuming. As you already know by the gushing of all of us, we really appreciate your time and your talent! I have been able to waiver between nostalgia of our last Dream cruise and anticipation for our next one in May!:D

Well hopefully you learned some things that you didn't know about the Dream even if it's just one tid bit. lol. Thanks for reading anyway! :-)

LOVE your review.

I'm thinking you could start a business vacationing with families to take photos. ;) They would have to be someone with lots of $$$ to spend to pay your expenses plus fees, but I imagine there is SOMEONE out there who would!

Every day I keep coming home and hoping there is more added to your trip review! I love reading more about your trip and the Dream! We are going in August, and your review is making me even more exited! Your pictures are just amazing! I wish I could capture images like you do!!!

Am Loving your review and the fantastic pictures- I love great photos. Thanks so much for sharing!

I need to buy a new waterproof camera for my next cruise - an suggestions for something that may do halfway decent pictures. I am going to Dunns river falls, so need something pretty waterproof and I really don't like taking my good SLR to the sandy beach.

(my teenage son just got a go pro for Christmas, so I think he will be wearing his camera up the falls.)

Am Loving your review and the fantastic pictures- I love great photos. Thanks so much for sharing!

I need to buy a new waterproof camera for my next cruise - an suggestions for something that may do halfway decent pictures. I am going to Dunns river falls, so need something pretty waterproof and I really don't like taking my good SLR to the sandy beach.

(my teenage son just got a go pro for Christmas, so I think he will be wearing his camera up the falls.)

Honestly, I am not in the loop on waterproof cameras anymore. It's something I need to do some research on because I really need a new one for myself (preferably before I vacation again.) It was really frustrating to me to be in the water and unable to take my DSLR in the water with me and having to settle for crap quality photos. In fact, being a pro has really changed my life that way. When I go to a concert and they don't allow pro cameras and I take my little point and shoot, I curse the thing out the entire time for not being able to perform the way my DSLR does. lol. I am addicted to good quality images now. It's dangerous.

I want a pocket camera that has amazing ISO technology with reduced noise and has the ability to shoot from f 1.2 to f. 22 with shutter speeds that go as low as 30 seconds and as high as 1/6000th of a second. And I want it to have the ability to zoom out as wide as a 15mm fisheye and zoom in at least 200mm. Oh and to be able to go under water and have the clarity of a brand new HDTV. :D Perhaps technology will make this dream a reality at a price point of less than 5k before I die :-)

I want a pocket camera that has amazing ISO technology with reduced noise and has the ability to shoot from f 1.2 to f. 22 with shutter speeds that go as low as 30 seconds and as high as 1/6000th of a second. And I want it to have the ability to zoom out as wide as a 15mm fisheye and zoom in at least 200mm. Oh and to be able to go under water and have the clarity of a brand new HDTV. :D Perhaps technology will make this dream a reality at a price point of less than 5k before I die :-)

Boy, you don't want much do you kiddo! :p

I'm no expert, but I think it's physically impossible to get those optics in a pocket size. :cool:

Honestly, I am not in the loop on waterproof cameras anymore. It's something I need to do some research on because I really need a new one for myself (preferably before I vacation again.) It was really frustrating to me to be in the water and unable to take my DSLR in the water with me and having to settle for crap quality photos. In fact, being a pro has really changed my life that way. When I go to a concert and they don't allow pro cameras and I take my little point and shoot, I curse the thing out the entire time for not being able to perform the way my DSLR does. lol. I am addicted to good quality images now. It's dangerous.

Have you thought about a housing for your DSLR? I wouldn't recommend it for just any photo hobbyist, but you could do some amazing things with it. My husband and I dive and you should see some of the hardware our diving friends bring along with them. HD is just the beginning.

You can also get everything insured against flooding through DAN. I have a "cheapy" $300 dive camera rated to 300 ft and I insured it along the rest of our dive gear. Don't get it wet without insurance!

Have you thought about a housing for your DSLR? I wouldn't recommend it for just any photo hobbyist, but you could do some amazing things with it. My husband and I dive and you should see some of the hardware our diving friends bring along with them. HD is just the beginning.

You can also get everything insured against flooding through DAN. I have a "cheapy" $300 dive camera rated to 300 ft and I insured it along the rest of our dive gear. Don't get it wet without insurance!

The most important thing when dealing with an expensive camera is to make sure you don't put anything cheap over it to diminish the quality of the photos. Decent housing for a DSLR would run approx. 2-4k. Of course, there have been camera fatalities (RIP).. lol.... from doing this method. And regardless of how seemingly foolproof they might be, I just cannot imagine taking my rig (camera, grip, lens, batteries - approx. 7k) down under the ocean and taking that risk.

And even if there were insurance that would cover it without being crazy expensive, it would take time to get replacement gear. And since I am booked pretty much year round, I don't have time to wait. Granted, I have several bodies. I have 2 40D's, one 5D MK II and one 1D MK IV. But, it's imperative to me that I always have a back up camera body incase one fails at a wedding. It is afterall the most important day for them. lol.,

With all of that technical stuff aside, I've considered spending a crazy amount of money to buy a true underwater HD camera and have drooled over the results they provide. Del Sol Photography in Mexico (check them out if you're bored....) does amazing underwater bridal photos in the Cenotes *underground river caves* in Mexico, particularily Playa Del Carmen. It's breathtaking stuff and makes me want to push boundaries and go to that next level.

I still wish and dream for that small pocket one though regardless of whether or not it's realistic (Steven, thorn in my side, cough.. Steven..lol).... just for the ease of carrying it around and being able to sneak it into places. :-D

I just found your review yesterday, and you are amazing! Your photos and your commentary! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your trip and your life journey!! I adore the pictures of you with the monkees, and the tiger- the joy in your face- I can feel it through the screen! You have for sure sold the Captain's Table and the Spa to me (we've done the spa before on the RCCL, so that was an easy sell!).

Okay, so far I am doing good, I have only upgraded to the spa room. I made it past day 4 and I haven't booked the Chef's Table (yet). Thankfully, I am doing the Eastern itinerary, so I haven't started splurging on excursions. Of course the looks I am getting from my coworkers while I sit here drooling at the computer screen over lunch are pretty priceless.

The pictures of you and the baby tiger are beyond words...just an awwwww!

Steven leave her be...we all have to have unrealistic dreams - hers just involve cameras. (BTW we are from the same place in PA).

Alicia, I tried a waterproof bag and like you didn't want to put my "good" camera in it for snorkeling - glad I didn't, I was thankfully able to slavage the camera card and still have a few shots, but the old camera i used was toast. My "good" camera is not near what yours is and I still would have been devastated. I have a Canon SX120is which I bought to go to Alaska...still a point and shoot, but it makes me look good, 'cause it takes great shots despite my ineptness - and because of the zoom I was able to get pictures of the mama bear playing with her cubs up on the mountain top :D

keep the review coming and try not to make me spend anymore money on my Dream cruise in March, I am still paying off the last upgrade:cool:

I haven't booked the Chef's Table (yet).

dooooo iiiiiiiitttttttt.... DO IT!!! (you won't be sorry)

I can, at the very least, take credit for convincing Alicia to do the Chef's Table.

Steven leave her be...we all have to have unrealistic dreams - hers just involve cameras. (BTW we are from the same place in PA).

Mine involve hitting Powerball and becoming a professional cruiser so that I won't get stuck behind Amish buggies on my way to work anymore!

You have written an excellent review and I totally enjoyed reading it and looking at the awesome pictures.

As for an underwater camera, I love my Olympus Tough TG-610 good for up to 16 foot deep. It takes great pictures and you can spend your hard earned dollars on the cameras that make you money.

Glad someone on our 2/4 roll call recommended your review. Thanks!

My fav pic is the truck with the two guys in the back, it touched me, love it.

The other is your fav pic, looks like I could walk right out on that dock.

You're a gifted photographer. I love taking pixs and scrapbooking for fun. But can sure appreciate someone who's got the gift. Thanks for sharing.

The details you've shared are really helpful even for a seasoned cruiser.

Will have to come back and read more, I took too much time on the early pages and didn't want to skip....I tried to skim some pages then was wondering what I missed. Lol

Blessings to you!

Have you noticed how many views this review has had????

I think you have us all addicted...what will we do when you run out of days:(

by the time she's done, there will only be 47 weeks until she returns from the Breeze and has material for her next review

Have you noticed how many views this review has had????

I think you have us all addicted...what will we do when you run out of days:(

I think that's a good reason for me to be reaaaaaalllllly sloooooow finishing the last day and a half. :-)

I guess you could read it over and over again and look at the pictures over and over again.. like once a month? lol.

Holy cow! It does have a lot of views! :-)

Glad someone on our 2/4 roll call recommended your review. Thanks!

My fav pic is the truck with the two guys in the back, it touched me, love it.

The other is your fav pic, looks like I could walk right out on that dock.

You're a gifted photographer. I love taking pixs and scrapbooking for fun. But can sure appreciate someone who's got the gift. Thanks for sharing.

The details you've shared are really helpful even for a seasoned cruiser.

Will have to come back and read more, I took too much time on the early pages and didn't want to skip....I tried to skim some pages then was wondering what I missed. Lol

Blessings to you!

You've made it sound like you're reading a novel :-) I love references like that. I swear all of my readers have really inspired me to want to do more with this travel photography. I just have to figure out the "what" and how to fit it into my current realm of work and where I want to go with it.

It's also inspired me to want to write again! So thank ALL OF YOU SO MUCH for putting a daily grin on my face and for inspiring me.

by the time she's done, there will only be 47 weeks until she returns from the Breeze and has material for her next review

And that trip is an 8 day instead of 7! AND it's the first sailing in the U.S. (excluding the 2 day one).

So...

a.) everyone will be wanting to read reviews for it which will motivate me. :-)

b.) I'll be geeking out to be on a brand new ship with new places I've never seen on a cruise ship (all the 2.0 updates). Which will entice me to take even more photos.

c.) I'll remember how much everyone loved and appreciated this review and it will make me want to discover more things to tell stories about with my review and photos. :-)

I know photographers that offer the "Day in the life of" sitting fee's and then produce albums for weddings, baby's, etc.

With your portfolio, a little promotion - there's gotta be some folks with money to burn that would hire you for a week, all expenses paid!

Just a thought...:D:D:D

I know photographers that offer the "Day in the life of" sitting fee's and then produce albums for weddings, baby's, etc.

With your portfolio, a little promotion - there's gotta be some folks with money to burn that would hire you for a week, all expenses paid!

Just a thought...:D:D:D

I actually already do the "Day in a life of" sessions. So, I am very familiar with them.. been doing them for a couple of years now.

I would have no idea how to market myself to cruisers for this though. And I am too busy right now (hence the delays in editing the photos for the review) to really put much thought into it.

I think it's pretty cool though that so many people would want to take me on vacation with them! :-)

Between the awesome things people have had to say about me on here and the fact that I just won Brides Choice Awards on wedding wire this week, I am feeling all fluttery inside :-)