Pink Beach ?s

alwalaska

Guest LoveMyBoxer
Which beach is the most pink?

Are there particular times of the day or weather conditions that make it look even more pink?

Any photo suggestions on how to get a good picture of the pink sand?

The best "pink" beaches are on the South Shore, Horshoe, etc. Here is a picture of Jobson's Cove.

BG

not asked but here's the explanation of the cause of pink sand beaches provided by CC member bdaguy from 7/27/07. The answer is in the second paragraph; the first is background.

.... a very basic explanation of where Bermuda beach sand comes from. To make pink Bermuda beach sand you need all of the following - parrot fish, sea cucumbers, live coral reef, red foraminifera (foram for short). Starting with coral - parrot fish clean excess algae off of the coral reef. When they scrape the algae off, they tend to bite off little chunks of the reef as well. The parrot fish, so called because of its bright colors and beak-like mouth, digests it all and the coral is passed out of the fish as brand new white sand. The average parrot fish can make up to one ton of sand per year! While the parrot fish is busy making sand, another creature called the red foram is busy dying and falling from its perch on the underside of the reef to the sandy bottom. This red seashell structure then mixes with the sand and through wave action it along with the sand is ground into ever finer particles. But wait! Everything in the sea will have green stuff growing on it sooner or later, right? Yes it will, and it's up to the lowly sea cucumber to clean house. Basically a very slowly moving digestive tract, the sea cucumber ingests sand, digesting all the organic matter off it (ie algae) then passing clean sand. This is what eventually ends up on the beach as pink sand!

now we've gotten that outta the way

Some beaches have more wave/current action than others. this causes the sand to grind on itself, making ever finer particles. anything else caught up in this "paperless sandpaper" action will be worn down as well. this include sea glass and sea shells. this explains the low occurrence of shells on the beach. So, if you go out to the reefs, you'll find more shells

make sense?

Here is a thread started in May, 2011 which asks What is the Best Pink Beach? Warwick, Elbow and Horseshoe are all mentioned.

Here are YouTube videos of Horseshoe, Warwick and Elbow:

• Horseshoe Bay Beach:

• Warwick Long Bay:

• Elbow Beach:

SBtS

Thank you for the great explanation. I had read another one, but this was much better. Also, thank you for the link to the other thread. I tried searching, but I got way too many hits to sift through them all.

Between the parrot fish, the dying red forams, and the sea cucumbers, you have provided my husband with great joke material as well. :D

Maybe we will have to visit all 3 and make our own opinion.

SB&S - I believe I saw another thread where you mentioned walking between beaches. Although Elbow looks kinda far from the other 2 on the map I have, can you walk from Horseshoe to Warwick?

Thanks for the picture Bob. I wish I was going sooner than May, but I guess it wouldn't be quite warm enough yet.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

Here is one taken from the top of the Reef's Hotel (also on the South Shore)when we stayed there two years ago:

BG

For those who remember, this is where the Sonesta used to be (South shore). Everything has been torn down:

BG

Hopefully you can see the "pink" in sand.

alwalaska wrote & asked: .....I believe I saw another thread where you mentioned walking between beaches. Although Elbow looks kinda far from the other 2 on the map I have, can you walk from Horseshoe to Warwick?....

Yes, you can walk from Horseshoe to Warwick; a distance of about .6 miles. You can't walk from Warwick to Elbow. It is not all beach and the distance as the crow flies is about 1.7 miles.

You can you can walk the beach path from Horseshoe to Warwick and you will pass these beaches in between: Chaplin Bay, Stonehole Bay and Jobson's Cove. There is a satellite photo of the paths here,

SBtS

Guest LoveMyBoxer

Not sure if you will be renting a moped while in Bermuda. But if you are, it is the best way to discover all these beaches! We did this before our Son was born. Back in 1992 I had seen a poster of a beach in Bermuda and I was determined to fnd THAT beach! Finally found it at Jobson's cove! There are so many small private beaches you will find that it is incredible!

That's great information - thanks! Do you happen to know if the south shore swizzle inn is walking distance from Warwick Beach?

alwalaska wrote & asked: .....I believe I saw another thread where you mentioned walking between beaches. Although Elbow looks kinda far from the other 2 on the map I have, can you walk from Horseshoe to Warwick?....

Yes, you can walk from Horseshoe to Warwick; a distance of about .6 miles. You can't walk from Warwick to Elbow. It is not all beach and the distance as the crow flies is about 1.7 miles.

You can you can walk the beach path from Horseshoe to Warwick and you will pass these beaches in between: Chaplin Bay, Stonehole Bay and Jobson's Cove. There is a satellite photo of the paths here,

SBtS

Yes, the roadway distance to the South Road Swizzle Inn from the south west end of Warwick Beach is about 1.5 miles; from the north east end, about 1.2 miles. South Road lacks side walks and break down lanes to walk on so you end up just off the edge of the roadway; be very careful.

My suggestion would be buy transportation passes and take the bus.

SBtS

Thanks. We were planning on buying transportation passes. So, do the buses just run along South Road? I think our plan would be to start at Horseshoe bay and then gradually make our way down to Warwick Long Beach. At that point, could we just go up to the road and catch a bus to the Swizzle Inn? And then later catch another bus back to Dockyard?

Yes, the roadway distance to the South Road Swizzle Inn from the south west end of Warwick Beach is about 1.5 miles; from the north east end, about 1.2 miles. South Road lacks side walks and break down lanes to walk on so you end up just off the edge of the roadway; be very careful.

My suggestion would be buy transportation passes and take the bus.

SBtS

The #7 bus route includes South Rd where Horseshoe Bay, Warwick Long Bay Beach and new Swizzle Inn are located along.

You could walk northeast from HSB to WLB and then exit the beach to South Road to catch an inbound bus to get to the Swizzle Inn.

You wrote 'make our way down to Warwick Long Beach'. I would prefer you use compass directions, such as northeast, southeast, etc..... or I'll walk with the ocean on my left (or right) hand. If you are walking from HSB to WLB, you will be walking northeast or will have the ocean on your right hand. To me, anyway, if you were at HSB and 'made your way down', you would be walking away from WLB.

The bus route directions (with one exception) are referred to in relation to travel to Hamilton. A bus is either inbound (to Hamilton) or outbound (from Hamilton). If you start at the Dockyard, you would be traveling on an inbound route #7 bus to HSB and if you next went to the SI, you would still travel on an inbound route #7 bus. When leaving the SI to get back to the Dockyard, you would travel on an outbound #7 bus. When boarding a bus, politely tell the driver your destination after greeting him/her.

Bus stops are identified by colored bus stop poles. A pink pole bus stop is a bus stop for an inbound (to Hamilton) bus; a blue pole stop is a bus stop for an outbound (from Hamilton) bus. A mnemonic for remembering the bus stop pole colors: BOB is my friend (Blue Out Bound).

SBtS

OK, again great info, thanks. We would be walking from Horseshoe to Warwick, so the ocean on our right hand, or as you say northeast. We have never been to Bermuda before and are taking a group of 14 friends who don't cruise all the time like we do, so really appreciate your info. Some of us will do the walk and others, who don't like to walk, want to just meet us at the Swizzle Inn.

The #7 bus route includes South Rd where Horseshoe Bay, Warwick Long Bay Beach and new Swizzle Inn are located along..

You could walk northeast from HSB to WLB and then exit the beach to South Road to catch an inbound bus to get to the Swizzle Inn.

You wrote 'make our way down to Warwick Long Beach'. I would prefer you use compass directions, such as northeast, southeast, etc..... or I'll walk with the ocean on my left (or right) hand. If you are walking from HSB to WLB, you will be walking northeast or will have the ocean on your right hand. To me, anyway, if you were at HSB and 'made your way down', you would be walking away from WLB.

The bus route directions (with one exception) are referred to in relation to travel to Hamilton. A bus is either inbound (to Hamilton) or outbound (from Hamilton). If you start at the Dockyard, you would be traveling on an inbound route #7 bus to HSB and if you next went to the SI, you would still travel on an inbound route #7 bus. When leaving the SI to get back to the Dockyard, you would travel on an outbound #7 bus. When boarding a bus, politely tell the driver your destination after greeting him/her.

Bus stops are identified by colored bus stop poles. A pink pole bus stop is a bus stop for an inbound (to Hamilton) bus; a blue pole stop is a bus stop for an outbound (from Hamilton) bus. A mnemonic for remembering the bus stop pole colors: BOB is my friend (Blue Out Bound).

SBtS

• 2 weeks later...

My Family has walked from Horseshoe Bay to Warrick, with many stops.

Not all of it is an easy walk. Depending upon the tide, we either had to go over rocks (that weren't easy to navigate) or go into the water to get to the next beach.

We loved it ... but I can't imagine all people would.

Old Bag -

I'm sorry that you had to walk in the water and climb over rocks to go to the different beaches, but there are a series of paths the connect the beaches which keep you from getting your feet even damp.

Check out this satellite photo -

BeachPathv2-1.jpg

SBtS

Have enjoyed reading your posts in response to questions posed by future Bermuda cruisers. We will not be booking any excursions as we are experienced travelers as well as cruisers. My question is "How do we know which bus route to take #7 or #8. We will be sailing on Celebrity Summit and docked at King's Wharf. We hope to visit St. George and Hamilton as well as the Dockyard area. We plan to buy a 3 day pass and utilize the ferries too. I saw the bus lines to St. George are #10 and #11. Which to take? We do not do beach activities because of skin cancer issues. Mainly interested in beautiful sights and good food.

Grace

The fastest route to either Hamilton or St. George's is by ferry. Second fastest to St. George's is ferry to Hamilton followed by a bus to St. George's. This requires an uphill walk from the ferry terminal to the bus terminal. Third fastest to St. George's is a #7 or 8 bus to Hamilton, followed by a bus to St. George's.

Bus routes #1, 3, 10 and 11 all run between Hamilton and St. George's.

Routes #7 and 8 both run between Dockyard and Hamilton.

Note: not all buses on these routes make the full journey. Some may terminate at an intermediate point, so read the destination sign on the bus before boarding.

The fastest route to either Hamilton or St. George's is by ferry. Second fastest to St. George's is ferry to Hamilton followed by a bus to St. George's. This requires an uphill walk from the ferry terminal to the bus terminal. Third fastest to St. George's is a #7 or 8 bus to Hamilton, followed by a bus to St. George's.

Bus routes #1, 3, 10 and 11 all run between Hamilton and St. George's.

Routes #7 and 8 both run between Dockyard and Hamilton.

Note: not all buses on these routes make the full journey. Some may terminate at an intermediate point, so read the destination sign on the bus before boarding.

I have been around this earth to long to be concerned with fast. Walking up hill...that's another issue. Do you have to go to bus station to get on bus? Why not hop on or off at any bus stop?

I have been around this earth to long to be concerned with fast. Walking up hill...that's another issue. Do you have to go to bus station to get on bus? Why not hop on or off at any bus stop?

Because the ferry terminal in Hamilton is located beyond the last stop where you are permitted to board the bus. The closest place you can board is at the bus terminal.

Because the ferry terminal in Hamilton is located beyond the last stop where you are permitted to board the bus. The closest place you can board is at the bus terminal.

Thanks. Very good reason. Now I just have to figure out how to climb the hill. I guess 1 block at a time.

Archived