msZuiderdam Front Desk staff was HORRIBLE. Won't be booking HA again

jill_delaware

Unless I'm reading wrong you like NCL , computer guy . Just wondering why ?

I mean would you recommend them over Hal for example ?

HAL and NCL both offer a good service but there are some things that one does better than the other. I’ll give you my opinion on the positive aspects of both:

HAL: HAL has slightly better food than NCL; the tenders have easier access via ramps (a benefit to an older clientele); and, has less expensive excursions (about 15% less than NCL). The Zuiderdam had better talks before the canal and island ports to prepare the staff. However, I don’t know if this was due to one outstanding excursion manager who primarily gave the talks or something that’s HAL-wide. I also really liked the Lifestyle folks which gave aqua aerobic and other fitness classes during sea days (very fun group on the Zuiderdam and helped keep my weight gain to only 4-lbs for the 10-day cruise). I assume that Zuiderdam plumbing issues are not a HAL-wide issue - just during our Nov 25th cruise and a few afterwards.

NCL: NCL in general has better and more diverse entertainment (geared for a younger and an international audience). This applies to their large shows, the acts, the musicians and event down to the Karaoke selections offered. NCL offers better pricing for cruises (on average) but we were very pleased with the last-minute sale price offered on the Zuiderdam for the Panama & Islands cruise. NCL does “Freestyle Dining” better than HAL (with NCL kitchens or galleys specially designed for this purpose) and has many tables for 2 near the windows. While HAL does offer seatings other than designated times, the lines were long and the service was consistently slow in the main dining room (even when we had a reservation).

Other Cruise Lines: I’d like to take Princess someday (heard good things about their cruises) but we’ll likely wait for a last-minute deal for a Florida port sailing (since we can drive there – no airfare worries). We’re not tied to NCL but their pricing / service / destinations have been motivating us to book.

Again, my opinion, I'm sure others have their own favorites.

Thanks for the good comparison . Princess left us disappointed , but that could be different for someone else. We found them to be crowded and the food was not as good .

We enjoyed our Princess cruises, but the last time I sailed with them was in 2007, and things have changed since then (on all lines). I recommended Princess to my mom last year, and she ranked the experience last between HAL, RCCL, Carnival, and Princess. Her comments about the food and service on her cruise were what prompted me to look elsewhere for our Panama Canal cruise in November.

We enjoyed our Princess cruises, but the last time I sailed with them was in 2007, and things have changed since then (on all lines). I recommended Princess to my mom last year, and she ranked the experience last between HAL, RCCL, Carnival, and Princess. Her comments about the food and service on her cruise were what prompted me to look elsewhere for our Panama Canal cruise in November.

Thank you for the feedback. Maybe Celebrity is on a future "try" list but Princess is off. :-)

I really feel that Russ' letter will be responded to. I sent one after my Prisendam cruise .... I just got an answer from them today - very nice - so wait - and see - and please do report back:)

Just got a response from HAL - very disappointing answer. One item I complained about was loss of connectivity with MAC and iPhone users for the last 4-days. I used my iPhone to take pictures and share with family & friends at home during the cruise. To do this, I got a premium data plan to share the photos during the cruise. Got a standard answer that satellite communications are impacted by weather and location BUT that wasn't my problem or complaint. The satellites were working well for regular PC users but the vendor onboard make a technical change that killed connectivity for MAC and iPhone users. HAL didn't read my detailed complaint, didn't research the complaint or understand my issue after 45-days. I just wanted half the money from the data plan from the vendor (and support from HAL since they get a cut on the vendor's business).

They also said that it's a vendor so not HAL's fault. While it's an independent vendor, I would expect HAL to provide oversight versus technically incorrect answers. Not to blame the issue on the weather and abandon their cruisers.

Had fun on the Panama cruise - canal & snorkeling were amazing - but I'm done with HAL. Waiting 45-days for a poorly researched, incorrect answer that didn't answer my original complaint is infuriating.

Just got a response from HAL - very disappointing answer. One item I complained about was loss of connectivity with MAC and iPhone users for the last 4-days. I used my iPhone to take pictures and share with family & friends at home during the cruise. To do this, I got a premium data plan to share the photos during the cruise. Got a standard answer that satellite communications are impacted by weather and location BUT that wasn't my problem or complaint. The satellites were working well for regular PC users but the vendor onboard make a technical change that killed connectivity for MAC and iPhone users. HAL didn't read my detailed complaint, didn't research the complaint or understand my issue after 45-days. I just wanted half the money from the data plan from the vendor (and support from HAL since they get a cut on the vendor's business).

They also said that it's a vendor so not HAL's fault. While it's an independent vendor, I would expect HAL to provide oversight versus technically incorrect answers. Not to blame the issue on the weather and abandon their cruisers.

Had fun on the Panama cruise - canal & snorkeling were amazing - but I'm done with HAL. Waiting 45-days for a poorly researched, incorrect answer that didn't answer my original complaint is infuriating.

This is disappointing to receive such a response.

Archived