What is the cheapest way to make calls everyday back home??

carolinacowgirl

We sent emails. We bought the cheapest online internet package and would go on just to check for the boys' messages. Some days we would check and recheck because my oldest(13) was too busy helping grandpa to email.

Also in case you haven't thought of it,give whoever is watching your kids,authority to get them medical care and whatever else is needed. We found a form online,filled it out and on our doctor's advice had it notorized. The boys were in another state with my parents so they would not be using our doctor.

GOOD IDEA! Did not think of that. Do you know what website had the form?

I had my laptop, purchased an internet package ($65) and used Google talk with no issues. Was able to say goodnight to the kids each night, and was able to yell at the dog to get off the couch:D (through the video link)

The cheapest I have heard of is ATT International plan at $2.49 per minute.

In the ports I go to internet cafes, where its about 30 cents a minute.

Sometimes skype works, for sure in the ports.

I used an international cell phone while in Italy. It was only $0.99/min. The phones start pretty cheap too. The company was Telestial.

"" you can set up an account on the forum boards on Carnival web site before you leave home. Once onboard ship you can use computers for free as long as it is the free Carnival web site. You will be able to post and people back home can also post if they know what your board name is"

:confused: So may I ask, We will be on the Triumph in 2 weeks. We can just go to the Internet Cafe and tell them we only want to use the Carnival Website? I have a 17 year old who is freaking out over not communicating with the boyfriend :eek:

You just go in the computer room and get on the computer, if I remember corectly, the carnival screen comes up. There is a box on the screen that say carnival free site or web. If you don't see it ask.

Before your cruise go to carnival.com/funville/forums scroll down to user groups, then click on currently onboard. You have to set up a group before you sail. Call yourself whatever (Triumph pals) after that anyone can post to the site and your 17 year old can communicate by posting and so can you. did this on last cruise. Was able to talk to hubby and son. Daughter-n-law used same post to talk to her family.

Like previously stated. Public forum and anyone can read it.

on the carnival website it says $1.99/min. The first cruise I went on was on Princess and it was $4.99/min. I got my hubby to call me from the home phone instead of me paying for it, I didn't realize it was so expensive. It cost us $17.95/min, our long distance charges were $1500 that month. He could have come on the cruise with me and had money to spare for that price!

http://secure.carnival.com/Core/FAQ.aspx?faq=cell+phone#q-544958

I just called Carnival and they told me that on Dream it was $6.99 per minute. GRIEF!!

I know it's hard to let go but thats what I did. I knew they were fine with Grandma and she would call if anything major happened. Not anything I could of done about, but panic.

Guess what after a week they were still alive and glad to see me :) Soon they realized sometimes dad goes away and does not have a phone. But he comes bearing gifts!

Now customers are a another story!

I did chat via email with gma and kept up to date.

Go have fun and enjoy it one week a year! Your allowed and won't be hauled away!

I know it's hard to let go but thats what I did. I knew they were fine with Grandma and she would call if anything major happened. Not anything I could of done about, but panic.

Guess what after a week they were still alive and glad to see me :) Soon they realized sometimes dad goes away and does not have a phone. But he comes bearing gifts!

Now customers are a another story!

I did chat via email with gma and kept up to date.

Go have fun and enjoy it one week a year! Your allowed and won't be hauled away!

Thanks! That did help relieve some anxiety. I just worry so much about things happening because I have PTSD. I REALLY hope it isnt $6.99 per minute tho!

I pick up a pay as you go cell phone at Walmart ($19.95) T-mobile usually, call them to register and make sure they set it up to be able to make and get cruise ship calls. And then load it up with $100.

This makes sure that the phone is disposable (if it gets wrecked or lost I am not worried) and that I don't get a surprise bill.

It is a great in case of emergency lifeline.

we bought an "unlocked" blackberry world phone off ebay for like $25 a few years ago, that uses a sim card.

We use it like a pay as you go.

the rates are different for each port.

plus, we have an international phone # that we get to keep.

We have spent as little as $30 for a cruise and also up to $100.

The only ship we had issues with was this last Cruise on the Magic.

It only worked in Port.:mad:

Hopefully its not an issue when we go on the Freedom in May.

I would suggest buying internet time and then log into Hotmail, yahoo, google, or Facebook and keep in touch with the family that way. All you need to do is log in, get to hotmail/yahoo/google/FB and send a quick email to them and then check the next day for their reply...

My friend came with me on the last cruise and we missed Grand Cayman. She was meeting an old high shcool friend who lives on the island for lunch/a little tour around the island. She logged into FB to send a message and then read a email or two and the rest of the cruise wasn't as fun as it could have been because of some family drama/trouble going on at home that she wasn't there to help with...That is the downside...

Try calling them from each port your in instead of everyday. You'll have more fun and they will learn that mom and dad can go away and have an amazing time, call it a second honeymoon....

Going on our first cruise without the kids and want to call them everyday. What is the cheapest / best way way to make calls? I am missing them just thinking of being away from them! :(

Assuming that they are staying with caregivers that they know, the kids will probably do very well w/o you - especially as their caregiver will probably spoil them rotten.

Don't ruin things by calling them constantly. BTW - how old are the kids? It might make a difference in my answer.

DON

Lots of good info here. I've been worrying about this too. My kids are 19 and 23, but the 19 year old has Asperger's Syndrome and I'm worried about him. We are going to be gone for over 2 weeks on our Med cruise next summer and I really want to be able to call home at least a couple of times just to say hi.

I did know about the Carnival forum and plan to use it for daily updates. That's a great way to check in on a more frequent basis. I'm going to be getting a smart phone and changing our carrier in the spring. I'll definitely be asking about international calling and data, but I don't want to have to get locked into a long term contract just to cover a couple of weeks of travel.

Becky

The internet is too slow for skype ......and the internet packages are still pretty pricey

I used Skype on Carnival Splendor off Mexico in September 2011 and the Skype video feed (to New Zealand of all places) was even better than my Skype video quality back home in Los Angeles !!! Sure internet does cost a bit, but it seemed cheaper to pay for the internet to at least log on, do what was needed, and then log-off again - rather than making calls from the cabin telephone even.

I pick up a pay as you go cell phone at Walmart ($19.95) T-mobile usually, call them to register and make sure they set it up to be able to make and get cruise ship calls. And then load it up with $100.

This makes sure that the phone is disposable (if it gets wrecked or lost I am not worried) and that I don't get a surprise bill.

It is a great in case of emergency lifeline.

Thank. Can you make international calls with this phone though? I called tmobile but they said they dont offer international prepaid phones.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Archived