What is the cheapest way to make calls everyday back home??

carolinacowgirl

You just go in the computer room and get on the computer, if I remember corectly, the carnival screen comes up. There is a box on the screen that say carnival free site or web. If you don't see it ask.

Before your cruise go to carnival.com/funville/forums scroll down to user groups, then click on currently onboard. You have to set up a group before you sail. Call yourself whatever (Triumph pals) after that anyone can post to the site and your 17 year old can communicate by posting and so can you. did this on last cruise. Was able to talk to hubby and son. Daughter-n-law used same post to talk to her family.

Like previously stated. Public forum and anyone can read it.

Everyone who you want to communicate with you also has to go to the site and register, it is all for free. They can then post messages on the "currently onboard" account you set up in advance. Like others have said, anyone registered can read your posts, not sure why anyone would want to, but just so you know not to give out any personal info, etc.

Assuming that they are staying with caregivers that they know, the kids will probably do very well w/o you - especially as their caregiver will probably spoil them rotten.

Don't ruin things by calling them constantly. BTW - how old are the kids? It might make a difference in my answer.

DON

They are 4 and 17. I am not worried about the 17 yr old, but my 4 yr old is very attached to me and I am an emotional wreck thinking about leaving him for an entire week.

You just go in the computer room and get on the computer, if I remember corectly, the carnival screen comes up. There is a box on the screen that say carnival free site or web. If you don't see it ask.

Before your cruise go to carnival.com/funville/forums scroll down to user groups, then click on currently onboard. You have to set up a group before you sail. Call yourself whatever (Triumph pals) after that anyone can post to the site and your 17 year old can communicate by posting and so can you. did this on last cruise. Was able to talk to hubby and son. Daughter-n-law used same post to talk to her family.

Like previously stated. Public forum and anyone can read it.

Thanks for the great info! I plan to give it a try in April :)

Well I called Carnival several times, but they say the website is INCORRECT. It is actually $6.99 PER MINUTE.

I called Thursday and they confirmed that on the Magic it is 1.99 per min. I asked to confirm with a manager and one came on the phone and confirmed. I noted all details on the printout and will bring it with me if charges need to be adjusted!

Thanks for posting updated info. $1.99 is great.

I have asked this question twice re the Victory but no one has responded. It used to vary by ship and this is what I was told by Carnival. I hope this is fleetwide now. If anyone is interested :), I will report back when I go in January.

Just got off the Dream this morning and the rate to call from our room was $1.99 per minute. We didn't use it but it was posted right by the phone.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

So glad to hear that. Hoping that its still 1.99 when I get on the Dream on Saturday!

I called Thursday and they confirmed that on the Magic it is 1.99 per min. I asked to confirm with a manager and one came on the phone and confirmed. I noted all details on the printout and will bring it with me if charges need to be adjusted!

That's crazy bc I have called 5 times in the past 3 days and they all tell me its 6.99. Hope they r wrong.

The cheapest I have heard of is ATT International plan at $2.49 per minute.

In the ports I go to internet cafes, where its about 30 cents a minute.

Sometimes skype works, for sure in the ports.

Is that .30 cents a minute from a pay phone or calling card or what? Sorry to sound to dumb :eek:

That's crazy bc I have called 5 times in the past 3 days and they all tell me its 6.99. Hope they r wrong.

Either you or someone else asked John Heald on FB so when he responds, if it is 6.99 I will make sure he knows CS is giving out random info and the website says otherwise. I am sure if incorrect, he will have the site changed immediately... He seems to be a get it done type of guy and I know he would take an advertising error like that very seriously

Either you or someone else asked John Heald on FB so when he responds, if it is 6.99 I will make sure he knows CS is giving out random info and the website says otherwise. I am sure if incorrect, he will have the site changed immediately... He seems to be a get it done type of guy and I know he would take an advertising error like that very seriously
Yes I asked him hoping to get a straight answer. I have printed out the website page that says $1.99 to take with me. Everyone getting off the ships says its 1.99 but everyone at Carnival says $6.99. :confused:

They are 4 and 17. I am not worried about the 17 yr old, but my 4 yr old is very attached to me and I am an emotional wreck thinking about leaving him for an entire week.

You know, you know your kids best but I had one like this and it made it worse if we called. Basically Grandma told us not to call after the first weekend away when we did call. She had to start all over again with getting him back in the fun of things.

Mainly i want to encourage you to NOT feel guilty! Remember that mom's and dad's have every right to just go be husbands and wives or simply grown ups sometimes. I bet your mom is excited about having your little one all to herself!

Well, emailing isnt an option for us because my son is only 4 and my mom who will be watching him doesnt know how to use a computer. So I hope that it isnt super expensive to make calls.

Did I read correctly that is cost $10 per MINUTE if someone from the States calls your cabin phone?

Here's a phone story for you. Many years ago my son who was a young man (19) called me when I was on a cruise as something he thought was an emergency came up. To make a long expensive story short the call lasted awhile and it cost $500. I had to pay it off in monthly installments and he had to contribute to the payments. But you know it sure did make me happy when I answered the phone and heard his voice. So be cautious and do your homework.

You know, you know your kids best but I had one like this and it made it worse if we called. Basically Grandma told us not to call after the first weekend away when we did call. She had to start all over again with getting him back in the fun of things.

Mainly i want to encourage you to NOT feel guilty! Remember that mom's and dad's have every right to just go be husbands and wives or simply grown ups sometimes. I bet your mom is excited about having your little one all to herself!

Yeah I know they will be spoiled rotten by grandma. Trying not to worry about it and just enjoy my time with DH.

But I do feel guilty leaving him this time... im sure he will have fun tho. :o

Here's a phone story for you. Many years ago my son who was a young man (19) called me when I was on a cruise as something he thought was an emergency came up. To make a long expensive story short the call lasted awhile and it cost $500. I had to pay it off in monthly installments and he had to contribute to the payments. But you know it sure did make me happy when I answered the phone and heard his voice. So be cautious and do your homework.

I certainly dont want this to happen to me! I would freak out.

Yeah I know they will be spoiled rotten by grandma. Trying not to worry about it and just enjoy my time with DH.

But I do feel guilty leaving him this time... im sure he will have fun tho. :o

Are you working with a therapist for your PTSD? Google DBT.. it was an enormous help for me. It was essential for me to strip the emotion out of my thought process to cope with PTSD symptoms.

Are you working with a therapist for your PTSD? Google DBT.. it was an enormous help for me. It was essential for me to strip the emotion out of my thought process to cope with PTSD symptoms.

Yes I have and I will google DBT as I have never heard of it before.

Thanks.

I have Verizon and an Iphone. While I was on The Magic, in November I had them turn on The International Plan for my phone. I think it was $.50 to send an international text, and $.10 to receive it. I can't remember the roaming charges for a call. I think it was $2.49 or $2.99 a minute. So texting is the way to go. When I got home, I had them turn the International plan off. It is on a pro-rated basis. I did turn the phone off while it was not in use. I think my bill ended up being like $80 more that month with the calls and plan for that week. It is expensive, but to me it was worth it to keep in touch back at home. I think it was less when making calls in port, and this is when I would call vs. text. I was told turning on the International plan for this week was the least expensive way to go.

I used Skype on Carnival Splendor off Mexico in September 2011 and the Skype video feed (to New Zealand of all places) was even better than my Skype video quality back home in Los Angeles !!! Sure internet does cost a bit, but it seemed cheaper to pay for the internet to at least log on, do what was needed, and then log-off again - rather than making calls from the cabin telephone even.

Skype really should not work. I would not depend on it. They are supposed to close the "ports" that Skype uses in order to stop that.

While on the ship you share a very small internet connection with everyone else on the ship. Basically if you get a really fast connection it means there are less other people using the connection. However when lots of people are using the internet, your connection slows down.

Your 17 year old must know how to use a computer or text messages and relay it to your 4 year old. Otherwise I think you should stay home if you are going to be so stressed over not talking to your family. The 4 year old will be okay and I agree calling may make your family anxious and remember they miss you.

We started leaving our oldest at age 3. It was agreed upfront that the only calls would be in case of dire emergency as everyone thought reminding him we were gone would upset him. Thankfully, no calls meant no problems.

We arrived home to find our son playing with my parent's neighborhood kids and he did not want to come home with us. We took the dog, who was actually glad to see us, and went home. My parents brought our son home at bedtime after he was fed, bathed and in his PJ's. Never ever felt guilty about leaving him after that.

It is your issue, not your child's. Better not to make the kids anxious. Just go and have a good time.

Archived