Credit card number stolen - MSC

TazzyRycher

Thought I would let you know what just happened to me. I sailed on the MSC Poesia from November 14th to November 19th. I got a call yesterday from a website that sells handbags on the internet (http://www.henribendel.com). Someone tried to charge over $1,000 to my credit card on their website. They had the zip code wrong so the charge was denied. I called my credit card company and had the card canceled. I found out from them that someone also tried to charge $750 to a doctor last month that they denied. I just found out from someone at the handbag website that there have been at least 7 people that had their cards fraudulently used on their website and they've been able to trace it back to the cruise line. If you have cruised on an MSC ship you may want to double check the card you used in-conjunction with any charges to MSC.

Just an update: I know of four people that I traveled with that had their card number stolen. I contact another person that I know was on that cruise and she knows quite a few people that had their card number stolen. I certainly hope they chatchthe people doing this. I will never cruise on any MSC ship ever again.

Dear Cruise Critic Friend,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share this and can assure you that this is being looked into. Can you please email your details to our customer service department so they can have as much information as possible. The email is customer-srvc@msccruisesusa.com.

Regards,

MSC Cruises USA

Thought I would let you know what just happened to me. I sailed on the MSC Poesia from November 14th to November 19th. I got a call yesterday from a website that sells handbags on the internet (www.henribendel.com). Someone tried to charge over $1,000 to my credit card on their website. They had the zip code wrong so the charge was denied. I called my credit card company and had the card canceled. I found out from them that someone also tried to charge $750 to a doctor last month that they denied. I just found out from someone at the handbag website that there have been at least 7 people that had their cards fraudulently used on their website and they've been able to trace it back to the cruise line. If you have cruised on an MSC ship you may want to double check the card you used in-conjunction with any charges to MSC.

I really wonder how website would trace people to cruise line??? And how would customer service tell you about it ???By the way you give your credit card ashore to US workers ,and iven if its truth what you say ,it may has nothing to do with MSC

Edited by GOLDENBONNY

Really a store/website doing the backtracking of a fraudulent purchase - I doubt it -thats the credit card companies job.

Store customer service gives information that it happened with alot of people and is specific enough to name the cruiseline - I doubt it

something smells fishy.

Edited by Wimpinthewater35
remove personal comment

I once had my card "compromised" at a gas station near my house. I only learned this through my bank as they had others with the same problem. I don't think the store would actually know who was doing this, not sure how they could confirm it was traced back?

I will cruise and take a card that only has a few hundred on it. They will max out quickly and not be able to do anything with it.

What I also have done, is told the customer service people at the cruise line that I will pay cash at the end of the cruise for my gratuties and such, and they didn't charge my card anything. That's another good way to avoid your card from being compromised.

They hold your card just in case you don't show up, but don't put any charges through.

Really a store/website doing the backtracking of a fraudulent purchase - I doubt it -thats the credit card companies job.

Store customer service gives information that it happened with alot of people and is specific enough to name the cruiseline - I doubt it

something smells fishy.

Very fish ,I am telling it as a prson whos job is collect money :D no store has acces to see if person was on cruise or not .its a bull:rolleyes:

plus web company calling to card holder??? thats a service)

Edited by GOLDENBONNY

Just an update: I contact another person that I know was on that cruise and she knows quite a few people that had their card number stolen.

I have to wonder how many people is "quite a few"???

The lady that contacted me had a lot of cards that were denied. She did a google search on me and found my phone number. She was contacting everyone that she could and the only thing we all had in common was MSC. The card I used to pay for the cruise and the card I used at check in were different. The card I used at check in was not compromised.

I'm sorry I tried to help. I don't really care if your card numbers are stolen. I was just trying to be nice and help a fellow human being. I won't be doing that again on here.

Carry on with your lives.

The lady that contacted me had a lot of cards that were denied. She did a google search on me and found my phone number. She was contacting everyone that she could and the only thing we all had in common was MSC. The card I used to pay for the cruise and the card I used at check in were different. The card I used at check in was not compromised.

I'm sorry I tried to help. I don't really care if your card numbers are stolen. I was just trying to be nice and help a fellow human being. I won't be doing that again on here.

She googled you by your CC #? If its web company how would she even know CC denied? She asked people were they used CC ???? What a servise !!! wow!

Wow sorry this happened to you and others. I'm amazed the site contacted you thats some customer service they have.

Although I will say it sounds like a scam I once heard afew months ago. They try your CC# and if it doesn't work they search for you online convince you everything is ok then weeks later your out alot of $$$.

My card # was used 3 weeks after our cruise had ended last year buying clothes but the credit card company traced it back to the persons IP address on Grand cayman they had an Rfid scanner all we had to do was walk by close enough and they got our information.

Edited by Irishman45
spacing

wow when I google my name it comes up with hundreds of people seems like alot of work for a store website considering they don't gain anything from it.

I'd bet everyone had something else in common other than being randomly chosen from the same cruise.

2000 passengers and someone knows multiple people it happened to - might suggest looking at them as a possible suspect - just saying.

Wow sorry this happened to you and others. I'm amazed the site contacted you thats some customer service they have.

Although I will say it sounds like a scam I once heard afew months ago. They try your CC# and if it doesn't work they search for you online convince you everything is ok then weeks later your out alot of $$$.

My card # was used 3 weeks after our cruise had ended last year buying clothes but the credit card company traced it back to the persons IP address on Grand cayman they had an Rfid scanner all we had to do was walk by close enough and they got our information.

I would elive more for scam than for customer service would call. they just have no function to trace trunsaction like this.I got my CC charged form PayPal last month ,it was big fraud on Pay Pal .

Tazzy, have you contacted MSC customer services like they asked you to?

Still think it is too fishy. The company that sells the handbags would not be investigating that. Maybe the credit card company but the handbag people would not have the means or manpower to do that.

What would be their gain/loss? They declined the transaction. It's up to the credit card company to determine fraud.

Why would the handbag company even care.

Just doesn't add up to me. Not at all.

Doubt if the OP bothered calling MSC. They would probably think the same thing as most of us.

I do not doubt the OP, why would someone make this up?

Tazzy, how did you pay for your cruise? Online, TA, or phone?

It is possible the compromise came from somewhere other than MSC, such as a hack on a computer. As a former TJ Maxx manager I know that can happen, we had thousands of cc numbers stolen from our computers.

I would however beware the person at the hangbag company. On a decline they should not know " why" ..so how did they know it was because of a bad zipcode? Due to privacy issues when a card is declined the merchant is not told the reason. It just comes up DECLINED. Also. the bill and ship to address would be different, she could have told you where the handbags were going to be shipped to.

My card number was stolen in Vegas by ( I am assuming a waitress since my one and only purchase there on that card was for a meal ) and later used at a high end store for thousands of dollars in purchases. The credit card was handkeyed by a store employee, who was probably in league with the waitress.

OR...There could be a dishonest MSC employee, every business has them. No one wants a thief in their employ but if MSC does not know someone is scamming numbers there is nothing they can do.

Please contact MSC so that they can investigate and if they do have someone taking credit card numbers they can get this person.

I am sorry this happened to you. But please realize that MSC did not give out your number knowingly, if indeed it happened due to a piece of crap employee.

I don't believe anyone is saying the act of having card numbers stolen can't happen. I believe we all know it can happen and it can happen anywhere at any time.

The fact of the handbag website doing such an extensive act in googling Tazzy and others to tell them their card was used does seem abit strange. I agree with the post above "that is some customer service" to take all that time in searching for people to notify them without any financial gain.

Considering Tazzy says the card compromised was the card that paid for the cruise and not the one used for onboard purchases:

The issue must have occurred with the purchasing of the cruise which if I’m not mistaken (and please correct me if I'm wrong) was done through a 3rd party “SHIPROCKED” and not directly with MSC.

With that said: Kate0330 also was with the “Shiprocked” group and knows “several people who had similar fraudulent charges” Yet nobody seems to be considering the “shiprocked” site they booked the trip with may have been the one compromised and possibly MSC and its staff had nothing to do with it at all. But because it happened after being on an MSC ship it must be the fault of MSC and nobody else right???

Edited by PBC29

[gain.

Considering Tazzy says the card compromised was the card that paid for the cruise and not the one used for onboard purchases:

The issue must have occurred with the purchasing of the cruise which if I’m not mistaken (and please correct me if I'm wrong) was done through a 3rd party “SHIPROCKED” and not directly with MSC.

With that said: Kate0330 also was with the “Shiprocked” group and knows “several people who had similar fraudulent charges” Yet nobody seems to be considering the “shiprocked” site they booked the trip with may have been the one compromised and possibly MSC and its staff had nothing to do with it at all. But because it happened after being on an MSC ship it must be the fault of MSC and nobody else right???

------------------

I would not be surprised if it was through the shiprocked site..directly or most likely indirectly ( security issue ). Hackers are smart :mad:

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar problem years ago with a company in australia. I purchased the order via the internet. Got my items i ask for. Few days later without knowing this , my bank called me asking if i ever use harmony dating service. I said no and don't get involved with internet dating service. After they sent me the fraudulent paperwork there was charges that was rung up like 6 different time with australia location, meanwhile i am USA. It must pass around to other people down there lucky the bank called me to see if this had to stop. i told them i appreciate for your effort in watching my balance spending. I never order from them in long time. Since i check my balance on the internet , you never know when the next fraud come in.

I believe they could tell it was coming from the MSC employee because the bank know your address and where you go. If something look phishy then they know it impossible. When you get those fraud paperwork look at the date, time, location of the purchase, website and name of the company. That how you can tell where it might had happen. Also when you give credit card to someone to ring you up, WATCH THEM EVERY MOVE THEY DO. So if you feel suspicious, you can alert your bank where the location is a possible in question.

Edited by pjnj40

I believe they could tell it was coming from the MSC employee because the bank know your address and where you go. If something look phishy then they know it impossible. When you get those fraud paperwork look at the date, time, location of the purchase, website and name of the company. That how you can tell where it might had happen. Also when you give credit card to someone to ring you up, WATCH THEM EVERY MOVE THEY DO. So if you feel suspicious, you can alert your bank where the location is a possible in question.

I work for a Bank and have done for more than 30 years and can tell you that card fraud is almost at epidemic levels. Bank's put there efforts in to detective and preventative controls like chip & PIN and running programmes that highlight unusual behaviour/suspicious transactions. There are also policy rules where cards will be delivered in a different manner (or not at all) to addresses identified as high risk. What we don't do, is identify who commits fraudulent transactions. If we detect a suspicious transaction or a customer confirms/reports it, we ask the merchant for evidence that our customer made the transaction. If they can't, our customer is refunded. It is the responsibility of the police to investigate card fraud but because of the volume & frequency of fraud, they can't investigate every isolated case. Instead they have to just record them and concentrate on looking at trends and identifying large scale card fraud fraud rings that are ran almost as a business.

On this basis, I would disput that the bank would know it was a MSC employee. If by chance they somehow worked this out, they would have passed the information to the police

I work for a Bank and have done for more than 30 years and can tell you that card fraud is almost at epidemic levels. Bank's put there efforts in to detective and preventative controls like chip & PIN and running programmes that highlight unusual behaviour/suspicious transactions. There are also policy rules where cards will be delivered in a different manner (or not at all) to addresses identified as high risk. What we don't do, is identify who commits fraudulent transactions. If we detect a suspicious transaction or a customer confirms/reports it, we ask the merchant for evidence that our customer made the transaction. If they can't, our customer is refunded. It is the responsibility of the police to investigate card fraud but because of the volume & frequency of fraud, they can't investigate every isolated case. Instead they have to just record them and concentrate on looking at trends and identifying large scale card fraud fraud rings that are ran almost as a business.

On this basis, I would disput that the bank would know it was a MSC employee. If by chance they somehow worked this out, they would have passed the information to the police

This is possibly the reason why more people are reverting back to cash. I know that this has scared me a little, but I was cautious with my credit card to begin with. I usually called the credit card company to advise I was going to be on vacation and where I was going so that they were aware of my unusual purchases somewhere. But my friend's card information was stolen and lots of charges incurred.

I think perhaps cash is a better option but then you run the risk of being physically robbed.

I wonder what is better? Headaches of credit card fraud or the risk of being robbed?

*sigh*

• 2 years later...

I found myself in a similar situation (2 years later), as soon as I provided my credit card to the personnel at MSC so that charges would be processed using my room key (while boarding from the port), a spate of fraudulent charges started appearing on my account. This was for a trip on the MSC Divina departing from the Port of Miami.

I had not used this credit card prior to this event for anything else, and no one else had handled it except me at this point. I thought it was strange when on board that I couldn't use my room key for charges and had to switch credit cards while on the trip with a cruise consultant. Three days later in Miami, I was able to check online and had over 30 THIRTY!!! fraudulent charges on my card, all of them appearing while I was on the high seas.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that the charges appeared after MSC Cruises had access to this credit card number.

I should have gotten a heads up when trying to navigate their website which was horrible and then trying to connect with customer service.

Never again, no cruise no matter how cheap is worth this type of headache!

I found myself in a similar situation (2 years later), as soon as I provided my credit card to the personnel at MSC so that charges would be processed using my room key (while boarding from the port), a spate of fraudulent charges started appearing on my account. This was for a trip on the MSC Divina departing from the Port of Miami.

I had not used this credit card prior to this event for anything else, and no one else had handled it except me at this point. I thought it was strange when on board that I couldn't use my room key for charges and had to switch credit cards while on the trip with a cruise consultant. Three days later in Miami, I was able to check online and had over 30 THIRTY!!! fraudulent charges on my card, all of them appearing while I was on the high seas.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that the charges appeared after MSC Cruises had access to this credit card number.

I should have gotten a heads up when trying to navigate their website which was horrible and then trying to connect with customer service.

Never again, no cruise no matter how cheap is worth this type of headache!

CCL should do better job with trolling. Really.... very lime try.:rolleyes: First post in 2 years old tread...plus you don't present your card to MSC in port , there is USA port workers sitting there not MSC personel .So next time come up with better bull.:cool:

GoldenBonny, who care if it's 2 years later it still happened, it not just to that other person but a spate of different persons who have used MSC have had the exact same problem, and I beg to differ but MSC personnel does handle your credit card information in port prior to boarding the ship, unless port personnel are wearing MSC's uniforms and sporting their name tags, which I highly doubt.

Edited by PinkPanther11