Credit card number stolen - MSC

TazzyRycher

"there is USA port workers sitting there not MSC personnel .So next time come up with better bull."

No idea about Miami because we only got off Divina there, but there are certainly MSC staff taking CC details at Venice, Barcelona and last year in Southampton!

"there is USA port workers sitting there not MSC personnel .So next time come up with better bull."

No idea about Miami because we only got off Divina there, but there are certainly MSC staff taking CC details at Venice, Barcelona and last year in Southampton!

Not in Miami , you give your credit card info when you check in with msc personel.

Credit card fraud is everywhere. Avoiding cruising with MDC will not prevent it. The only thing that will prevent it from ever happening to you is not tomuse them. I don't recommend avoiding cards, it is not practical.

2 reported cases in over 2 years does not in my view implicate MDC of misuse of passengers cards. Rogue employees can and do exist in all companies therefore any company can have an employee misuse card details.

Bask have procedures to deal with these situations and I when it happened to my, I suffered no financial loss just inconvenience.

Modes ....I merely copied this line from the post by GoldenBonny!

I had an idea that the check in procedure would be the same as the three places i had stated.

If I don't wish to give credit card info when cruising, I just have to open an account with cash. Right?

Correct. I would not let this thread worry you though. 2 reported cases over 2 years ago. If there was a systemic problem with card security, this forum would be flooded with complaints of fraudulent transactions.

Thought I would let you know what just happened to me. I sailed on the MSC Poesia from November 14th to November 19th. I got a call yesterday from a website that sells handbags on the internet (http://www.henribendel.com). Someone tried to charge over $1,000 to my credit card on their website. They had the zip code wrong so the charge was denied. I called my credit card company and had the card canceled. I found out from them that someone also tried to charge $750 to a doctor last month that they denied. I just found out from someone at the handbag website that there have been at least 7 people that had their cards fraudulently used on their website and they've been able to trace it back to the cruise line. If you have cruised on an MSC ship you may want to double check the card you used in-conjunction with any charges to MSC.

If your credit card company knew someone tried to charge $750 to a doctor the month before why on earth didn't the credit card contact you about that fraud immediately? That is how they usually operate. They call you if a charge appears to be fraudulent. This whole story seems fishy.

Every single time our cards have been compromised (Discover 3 times in 2014 alone) the credit card company called us to ask if we made the transaction, and sometimes within minutes of the authorization being denied or if it did go through as soon as they noticed it was out of the normal spending pattern. For example they denied a charge for $2000 at an Apple store in another state. Why the denial? Because I had recently purchased an Asus computer from Best Buy and because I had never put through charges in St. Louis, Missouri (never been there).

They are however smart enough to know that I regularly go to Florida and always allow my multiple charges at Publix to go through. They know much more about your habits than you might think.

I wouldn't blame MSC for your problems - blame your bank for not doing a good job keeping track of your spending patterns. One time Discover picked up that there was fraud because someone bought $1500 worth of merchandise at Walmart. That was the clue - I never shop at Walmart, even though it is only a couple of miles from the house.

Besides, with a credit card you have zero fraud liability. The card gets closed, a new one is issued and you go on your merry way. No harm, no foul.

Where you will get into trouble is if it is a debit card and the issue can take a long time to resolve before they return the funds to your checking account.

I wouldn't go around tarnishing the reputation of MSC unless you have proof from the police that a MSC employee was involved in the theft of the credit card number. Someone with a scanner could have gotten the information anywhere in Miami, had cards made up and sold them. My credit card company advised us to use an RFID blocking wallet to keep the credit card numbers safe. I also use an RFID blocking passport case now that the passports are chipped.