Camera question

teacher34

My p&s cameras are all kodak since they're so simple to use. I tried a Sony at the store, and nothing was labeled. I picked up the kodak, took three pictures, deleted them and shot three more before the guy who said "These sonys are GREAT" could figure out how to delete what was on the camera. That said, you can buy the nicest camera out there, and if you don't know squat about taking a decent picture, you won't get decent pictures. No camera can take a good picture if the person holding the camera has no clue about say, holding the camera still while pushing the shutter button, or taking two or three of the same shot in case one turns out out of focus or blurs from movement.

I also have three slr Pentax bodies, and I will be taking two of them with me (in case one takes a crap). My kodak takes pictures just as nice as the pentax, but I don't have the zoom and the p&s cameras sometimes take longer to focus, and then I think I took the picture but as I'm lowering the camera, I get the shot that isn't what I wanted. I frequent a Pentax photographer forum, and debated on whether to take the "big" camera on a cruise. Someone said, "you have the camera, take it" and they're right. Why did I buy it, if not to use it?

So, whichever you get, take some time learning it. I have a tendancy to turn my p&s off instead of pushing the shutter button, stupid things like that. Oh, and with the cameras that you look at the screen on the back to see what you're shooting, I've noticed I need to pay attention to whether I have the camera tipped forward or backward, and with landscape shots, make sure your camera is as horizontal to get the shot square. I line up the horizon line with the bottom of the screen - that works if the ground is flat! Have fun, have fun! These cameras have so many features, you can set them for bright daylight, indoor, close-up, etc. They're smarter than I am.

Went to Alaska in June, and took our Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS8 Digital Camera. My brother brought a digital camera with all the bells and whistles, different lens, etc.

My pictures turned out far better!!

You can get the Lumix for under $200

I just researched cameras to death!!! And got my new camera I ordered just the other day. I haven't had tons of time to play yet but think I will be happy. I got the Canon SX230. It is a 12.1 megapixel with a 14x optical zoom. It is in the category of a "travel zoom" camera. It has a GPS also, but I don't even have any interest in that. The camera came HIGHLY recommended by several camera stores in NYC. I ordered it from Cameta Camera in a bundle for $199. I have always had Canon cameras so buying a Canon was a no brainer...although I looked hard and long at Sony...but in the end decided I was comforatble with Canon...and I knew they made a good product.

Good Luck!

Went to Alaska in June, and took our Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS8 Digital Camera. My brother brought a digital camera with all the bells and whistles, different lens, etc.

My pictures turned out far better!!

You can get the Lumix for under $200

Like I said, it's not the camera, it's the person operating it. Some cheap cameras take the best pictures, if the operator knows what they're doing. Can you post some of those great photos???

If you don't even own a camera ignore everyone that tells you to invest in a DSLR and take it on vacation and expect to get wonderful pictures.

This is a good review, if the details are too much skip to the end: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q311travelzoomgrouptest/

There are few bad cameras but there are better ones than others for any given price point. You want a superzoom, you can't have too much zoom when you go to alaska. Its bit and looks great in the viewfinder but for onscreen viewing you want that close in look with a big zoom!

Taking good pictures really only require a "average" camera and a passion for capturing the moment with a good eye!

Enjoy Alaska

I need some help. I know nothing about taking photographs and work 2 jobs, so there is no time to learn now, but my DH and I are going to Alaska in May and I really want to take some pictures, because this is a once in a lifetime experience for us. Can anyone advise me about a camera to buy (we don't even own any camera). I know I will want one that can zoom, but how much zoom? Also, it would have to be completely automatic, because I am a dunce when it comes to taking pictures. Also, we don't have a ton to spend on this. What do you think? Can anyone help me? I have seen such fantastic photos on cc that I am determined to take some pictures. Thanks in advance for anything you can tell me.

I know people love their point and shoot cameras, but remember that entry level dSLR cameras have a "full auto" mode as well. You don't have to know the difference between aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc., what you do have to know is that it takes a picture, when you press the shutter button, not 3 seconds AFTER it goes through pre-flash, red-eye reduction flashy thingy, so on and so on.

I watched a pod of dolphins swim with our cruise ship, and landed about 30 pictures of them swimming, jumping, and spouting. I also ended up with about 15 email addresses of people with point and shoot cameras that ended up with pictures of water, because their cameras were too slow!

Don't miss once in a lifetime shot because of a slow camera!

Clearly you haven't used the newere P&S have you. The newer one are very good, read the DPREVIEW ;) Now are they as good for action sport or low light, No, but they don't cost 500 bucks starting than after you add zoom lense and their bulk put you over a thousand dollars either. They also have that sports mode ( no flash, no redeye etc. etc ! )

Trust me I know what the difference is between a DSLR and a P&S as I own a few of both and some lenses too :D

For the novice even in Alaska I would trust a 300 dollar superzoom to shoot some decent pictures. Will you get the perfect breeching whale, eagle in flight or jumping salmon, or bear miles away.. likely not. But even if the novice invests in a Canon Rebel and a 70-300 lens in auto mode I am skeptical he'll beat the guy next to him with the superzoom without lots of practice. Your argument is like talking a guy into buying a sport sedan and expect them to produce results without lots of practice....

I know people love their point and shoot cameras, but remember that entry level dSLR cameras have a "full auto" mode as well. You don't have to know the difference between aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc., what you do have to know is that it takes a picture, when you press the shutter button, not 3 seconds AFTER it goes through pre-flash, red-eye reduction flashy thingy, so on and so on.

I watched a pod of dolphins swim with our cruise ship, and landed about 30 pictures of them swimming, jumping, and spouting. I also ended up with about 15 email addresses of people with point and shoot cameras that ended up with pictures of water, because their cameras were too slow!

Don't miss once in a lifetime shot because of a slow camera!

Clearly you haven't used the newere P&S have you. The newer one are very good, read the DPREVIEW ;) Now are they as good for action sport or low light, No, but they don't cost 500 bucks starting than after you add zoom lense and their bulk put you over a thousand dollars either. They also have that sports mode ( no flash, no redeye etc. etc ! )

Trust me I know what the difference is between a DSLR and a P&S as I own a few of both and some lenses too :D

For the novice even in Alaska I would trust a 300 dollar superzoom to shoot some decent pictures. Will you get the perfect breeching whale, eagle in flight or jumping salmon, or bear miles away.. likely not. But even if the novice invests in a Canon Rebel and a 70-300 lens in auto mode I am skeptical he'll beat the guy next to him with the superzoom without lots of practice. Your argument is like talking a guy into buying a sport sedan and expect them to produce results without lots of practice....

I use my wife's point and shoot strictly in an underwater housing I bought for scuba diving. Other than that I truly have no use for a point and shoot. It is just my personal preference to use manual mode on my Canon 1Ds Mark II and Canon 60D. I grew up shooting 35mm, where there was no preview of the picture you just took. You had to learn camera settings, composition, film ISO selection for what you MIGHT be shooting that day!

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Very nice shot :D Ones like that one needs several things

1) Camera is on and pointed in the right direction. Even a DSLR Canon 1DMX not on won't catch this one :p

2) Right lense, the longer the better!

3) Quick spot focus, since it is at a pretty far distance I will contend that the smaller P&S sensors and smaller apertures etc. that focus won't be an issue here. Will the picture you get be more than facebook/flickr or 4x6 worth likely not, but still decent IMHO.

4) Someone behind the viewfinder who knows what they are doing!

The new mirrorless are pretty good, not DSLR yet, but for a novice to invest in their first digital and it being a DSLR is going to ask for signficant investment prior to shooting.

I ended up trading down my D7000 to D5100 to Nikon 1, its that good on vidoe and spot single focus, no fullframe performance but rivals the entry DSLR :D

Happy shooting

This shot doesn't happen with a point and shoot!

I know the picture is small, but those are the limitations of the file size here on CC!

[ATTACH]217939[/ATTACH]

We also have a Canon and several lenses but I think that's not in your budget. I just purchased an Olympus Tough camera. Very compact and does everything the big boys do. Plus it's waterproof, drop proof and handles cold to 13 F and does movies as well. It was 145.00 and a great value.

Very nice shot :D Ones like that one needs several things

1) Camera is on and pointed in the right direction. Even a DSLR Canon 1DMX not on won't catch this one :p

2) Right lense, the longer the better!

3) Quick spot focus, since it is at a pretty far distance I will contend that the smaller P&S sensors and smaller apertures etc. that focus won't be an issue here. Will the picture you get be more than facebook/flickr or 4x6 worth likely not, but still decent IMHO.

4) Someone behind the viewfinder who knows what they are doing!

The new mirrorless are pretty good, not DSLR yet, but for a novice to invest in their first digital and it being a DSLR is going to ask for signficant investment prior to shooting.

I ended up trading down my D7000 to D5100 to Nikon 1, its that good on vidoe and spot single focus, no fullframe performance but rivals the entry DSLR :D

Happy shooting

I agree with you on the new mirrorless cameras, but I believe I heard from one review site, that the lenses are indeed changeable, but they are specific to THEIR brand of mirrorless. They are not even interchangable within their own brand from dSLR to mirrorless!! Talk about forcing people to buy more and more stuff!

I will also admit that the breeching whale picture that I snapped in Alaska had quite a bit of luck involved. I was forced to be holding my camera as it was wrapped in a waterproof cover that has my shooting hand inside of it as well. I had the camera "on" and for focusing, i am lucky enough to be shooting through Canon "L" glass with the amazingly fast Ultrasonic Motor (USM) focusing system. I raised the camera and in the blink of a shutter, grabbed focus and snapped that picture! That image is quite shrunken for the website, and it is right from the camera, uncropped and unprocessed. That is "as-is" from the camera.

I think that a nice point and shoot should work fine, and you need not spend a fortune on it either. Tips to remember:

1. Buy a few (small) memory SD cards or whatever type of memory card your camera uses. I think you can buy 8MB sized cards for about $10 each. They are however small in size and can be lost easily, so you don't want to just have one card and then it goes missing and your entire collection of photos is GONE. Get yourself a plastic container in which you can store all of your SD cards - something like a small pill box should work.

2. If you take a laptop along, then take your cables to connect your camera to the laptop. That way you can download pictures off of the SD card onto the laptop regularly.

3. Set the camera to save images at as high a resolution of picture (on the SD card) as possible. Sure you will get less pictures on each SD card, but if you are downloading onto the laptop then no problem there. That way your pictures will be higher quality.

4. Take additional batteries or rechargeable ones.

Hope you have a great holiday.

I love photography and agree with the other posters that mention different Panasonic Lumix cameras. I have a few cameras, including a Canon Rebel EOS camera.

While the DSLR's are great for serious photographers, they are bulky to carry. When on vacation, I now just take my Panasonic Lumix camera, plus a water/shock proof Fuji. The Panasonic fits right in my pocket, and has all manual features, if I want to set scenes up. It is so nice to not carry around a bulky camera bag. Cost for the various models are $129-200.

I would recommend a Canon Powershot or Sony Cybershot. They both have entry level cameras (around $100) and they're very easy to use. Go to stores where you can try out the cameras and try out as many as you can in your price range.

I agree with the Sony Cybershot. It is one of the best quality point and shoot. My daughter has the Canon Powershot and really loves it. She takes some great pictures and she is only 15.

I just bought the Nikon coolpix aw100. It takes awesome pictures. The main reason I bought it, is that it is waterproof and records full Hd 1080p movies. I can't wait to use it on our cruise when we go snorkeling and swim with the sting rays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived