Final piece of help needed

billyelliot

Hello cruise friends.

I have been planning our cruise to Alaska for a few months now. And have come down to two cruises, meeting our needs. I am stuck as to which ship an itinery to take.

We have cruised about 8 times now, on RCI, P & O and QM2 Caribbean, and the Med. and have enjoyed each one. Each ship has something I really like.

The two cruises I have chosen are 7 nights on Celebrity Century, or Ms Volendam. One goes to Hubbard and Icy Strait point. and the other Glacier Bay, and Skegway. Both do Juneau, inside passage and Ketchikan.

I cannot stretch to Balcony cabins due to cost, but could do outside. We have done all classes, and don't mind inside.

From my research they are both older cruise ships, but which in your opinion is the better ship and Itinery.?

We are going to fly out a few days earlier, so we can spend some time in Vancouver, as it sounds a fabulous place. Any input would be great. Thanks x

Billy - how many cabins do you need, how many of you are sailing together? Is it a family unit - parents and kids? If so, I'd recommend the Volendam.

HAL offers free or low cost third and fourth passengers in a cabin (just taxes are paid on those two passengers). We sailed with three in a cabin on HAL Amsterdam's 14 day itinerary this past August - DH stayed home this time, it was my niece and her boyfriend. We booked an outside cabin (E2707 to be exact) on the Main Deck. Volendam and Amsterdam are similar ships in that they both have small, little known and little used decks on the aft of both the Main Deck and the Navigation Deck.

Our oceanview cabin was three cabins from the aft on the Main Deck, and we could be out the door in seconds to enjoy the views from the aft if wildlife was sighted, plus just one set of stairs up to the Lower Promenade Deck for the "biggest balcony on the ship." We saved tons of $$$ by booking 3 to a cabin (and had plenty of room for storage and sleeping for one on the pull out sofa was very comfortable). Plus we had more $$$$ for those pricey AK excursions.

If there are two couples going and you each want your own cabin, consider DD7086 on the aft of the Navigation deck of the Volendam. Again, my DH and I also sailed on the Amsterdam's 14 day itinerary in 2010, and with just the 2 of us, booked a similar cabin as 7086. It was perfect! An oceanview cabin overlooking the little known and little used "secret" aft deck. This one was right by the door out to the aft deck, so literally just five steps, and there we were. It was like having our own private aft balcony - LOVED it! These cabins only sleep two though, which is why my niece and her boyfriend and I didn't book it for last year. Another benefit to DD7086 is that it is just one flight up to the aft Lido pool, the Seaview Bar and the Lido buffet. Wonderful for quick snacks or an adult beverage to take back to your "secret" deck.

Love HAL, love the smaller size of the Volendam, and love the Wed. departure as well. I'd choose the Volendam if I were you - and if you book an oceanview near the aft of the Main deck or the aft of the Navigation deck, you'll still have the feeling of having a balcony, but it will cost you WAY less!

Have a wonderful time - you're gonna love Alaska!:D

Just based on itinerary alone, I would go with the Volendam and seeing Glacier Bay. IMO that is not to be missed. The Wednesday departure would also be much less hectic.

Sorry, I hadn't noticed that the other one went to Hubbard. I haven't been there (yet) so can't comment on that.

you might want to go into the reviews of the ships and see what others say about the condition of the Century.

Hello cruise friends.

I have been planning our cruise to Alaska for a few months now. And have come down to two cruises, meeting our needs. I am stuck as to which ship an itinery to take.

We have cruised about 8 times now, on RCI, P & O and QM2 Caribbean, and the Med. and have enjoyed each one. Each ship has something I really like.

The two cruises I have chosen are 7 nights on Celebrity Century, or Ms Volendam. One goes to Hubbard and Icy Strait point. and the other Glacier Bay, and Skegway. Both do Juneau, inside passage and Ketchikan.

I cannot stretch to Balcony cabins due to cost, but could do outside. We have done all classes, and don't mind inside.

From my research they are both older cruise ships, but which in your opinion is the better ship and Itinery.?

We are going to fly out a few days earlier, so we can spend some time in Vancouver, as it sounds a fabulous place. Any input would be great. Thanks x

Thank you for your replies. There are only me and my Husband travelling, we are in our early 50s. I have noted that both ships are older, but wondered which was the better one? I do think the weds departure sounds good on the Volendam, but was worried that it may be an older person cruise? X

Don't miss Glacier Bay, It was one of the highlights of our Alaska cruise in 2009 and I'm looking forward to another day there in 2012. The ship is not nearly as important as the itinerary when you're cruising Alaska IMHO.

I am sailing on Volendam in August. Picked for the itinerary since it goes to Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay. There were very few that go to both and I did not want to choose between the two.

In my group will be my parents, early 60's, myself (34) sister (30) and my daughter (6). At first I was worried there would be fewer younger passengers but the more I read I became more comfortable. The kids club has a great reputation and I am sure there will be plenty family groups.

I think the itinerary was more important than the ship in this case.

I'm sure you'll enjoy either cruise!

In a perfect worls Hubbard and Glacier Bay are not to be missed because they both offer different but great experiences! However if I had to pick one I would go with Glacier Bay. We sailed on Princess so I can't comment on the two ships requested.

OP, what month are you going? If school is not yet out (i.e. May) or it's back in (later in September) you might have an "older" crowd. Alaska tends to get "older" crowds than the Caribbean, in general, so I don't think the ship matters so much there. Alaska is port intensive, and activities can be strenuous, which means you may be more tired at the end of the day (and not care if the disco is closed at 1am or not!).

But, for what it's worth, my husband and I first experienced HAL in 2009 when I was 44 and he was 49 and we both fell in love! We enjoyed dancing after dinner, and took in some shows, and didn't feel like there was "nothing to do" in the evening at all. We took our teens on a HAL cruise last year and they loved it as well. Granted, that was Caribbean and during spring break so there were quite a few famillies on board, and they had a great time in Club HAL.

I can't comment on Celebrity because I've never been on one of their ships, but I've heard that the line, in general, is very nice.

Only you can decide if Glacier Bay is important to you or not. To me, having never been to Alaska, it is, so we chose HAL for our upcoming cruise.

Happy sailing!

I have done a bit of research on princess and the air prices seem to be steep? It looks like we will go with Hal. Iv now to decide if its worth paying for an outside or just go inside and save money for the trips which everybody say are expensive?

It's taking a lot of research this holiday! Thank goodness for this forum.

My next question is what are must see's in the ports? I usually book independently from recommendations on CC. Thanks x

I have done a bit of research on princess and the air prices seem to be steep? It looks like we will go with Hal. Iv now to decide if its worth paying for an outside or just go inside and save money for the trips which everybody say are expensive?

It's taking a lot of research this holiday! Thank goodness for this forum.

My next question is what are must see's in the ports? I usually book independently from recommendations on CC. Thanks x

Have you also looked at air, booked direct??

Archived