sea sickness

I took avomine last cruise and still got sick ended having to get the needle.

Has anyone got any suggestions what I could take ?

Best to discuss with your GP - there are solutions. Could simply be an ear balance prob. The chemist has "C-bands" these are 1/2" wide wrist bands with a pressure point nodule.. good for car sickness, don't know about seasickness. DW will be taking injections:eek:

After trying different meds & the dreaded natural ginger tablets (which taste even worse on the way back up again :eek: ) we've settled (LOL) on Bonine which you will hear rave reviews of on the US Boards. We bought it while we were in Alaska when our Travacalm ran out & it works a treat for us. The drug is called meclazine & doesn't seem to be marketed in Aust but isn't prohibited. you can buy it online but last year we asked a friend visiting the States to bring some back & we got a generic brand - 100 tablets for less than $4US

Now we just need to schedule a few more cruises so we can use them up :D

I am extremely sensitive to motion and used to have to take medication even for a normal flight from Brisbane to Sydney. I used to take a medication that was the equivalent of Travalcalm and thought it was good until we had 10metres seas in the Pacific Dawn. It just didn't do the job. :( The nurse said to buy Avomine from the Pursers Desk - which I did and within half an hour I was a lot better. Now I travel with a box of Avomine that cost $9.95 for 30 tablets from Chemist Warehouse. The nurse on Pacific Dawn said that they have proven that Avomine is the most effective remedy for motion sickness.

I, too, was going to ask when you started taking it? I was told it is a preventive medication and to start taking one tablet at night from two days before you leave. I forget which one I was told was the best if you do get sick - probably the phenergan injection from the Doctor. Luckily I don't get sea sick.

The first time I took Avomine I was very sick before I took it. By staying on the bed I was able to keep it down, and about half an hour later I was able to walk around. Big improvement. :)

I had gone to the medical centre for the injection - prepared to pay the $100 and prepared to be knocked out for 24 hours, but the nurse said she wouldn't give it to me until I had taken Avomine. If that didn't work, she would give me the injection. As this was the last evening on board, it wa going to be rather awkward to be knocked out for 24 hours and having to fly home the next morning. :):)

Next time I am in really rough weather I will take the tablet before I start to feel sick. Luckily the Avomine didn't make me sleepy, but I was so sick I would have welcomed that. I have found since we have been cruising several times a year I must have found my 'sea legs' and can cope with much rougher weather than I used to.:)

I still wouldn't travel with my packet of Avomine.

On our half world cruise last year my daughter who is 23 and gets sea sick went to the Dr before we left and got stemetil. Worked wonders and she only needed it when we were on oceans not on the Med Sea (maybe once). Nothing else worked or else made her drowsy.

Someone posted their Avomine regimen here a while back and I will be following it in April to see if it works for me as well.

He/she said to take 1 Avomine tablet for 2 nights pre-cruise then 1 tablet in the mornings for the first 2 sea days only. I figure it must "prep" ones system.

Has anyone used this method before?

Re stemitil - Before our first cruise (28 years ago) my doctor prescribed stemitil. I took it when the seas were rough and I wished I hadn't. It did what it was supposed to - it stopped me throwing up. I felt so ill I wanted to throw up and I'm sure I would have felt a lot better if I could have.

I still believe the best remedy is Avomine, knowing that the injection is available as a 'fall-back' option.:)

Re stemitil - Before our first cruise (28 years ago) my doctor prescribed stemitil. I took it when the seas were rough and I wished I hadn't. It did what it was supposed to - it stopped me throwing up. I felt so ill I wanted to throw up and I'm sure I would have felt a lot better if I could have.

I still believe the best remedy is Avomine, knowing that the injection is available as a 'fall-back' option.:)

Same thing happened to me Aus Traveller. I wish I'd known about Avomine before the first cruise. I was down for 1.5 days. Soup, crusty bread and some fresh air helped a lot in the end.

I did start Avomine 2 days before cruising.It worked for a lot of people but not for me.

Thanks for the help.

stemitil suspositories work great if you get sea sick.......that what the doctor injects you with and charges 500.00 .get a script from your doctor.my partner gets sea sick and it works wonders ...in 30 minutes up and back into the food and drink.....use them only when you get sick not as a preventive.

stemitil suspositories work great if you get sea sick.......that what the doctor injects you with and charges 500.00 .get a script from your doctor.my partner gets sea sick and it works wonders ...in 30 minutes up and back into the food and drink.....use them only when you get sick not as a preventive.

Get scoplamine transderm V patches. You get 3 per package and they last 3 days each. They are great and cost me approx. $30.00

Get scoplamine transderm V patches. You get 3 per package and they last 3 days each. They are great and cost me approx. $30.00

Be aware that many people suffer from dry mouth and blurry vision while using the patch.

I was sick on my first cruise (newbie) and then learnt about Avomine. I take it the night before I cruise and every night on the cruise.... I have never been sick when I have done this.... prevention is better than cure. Also it is so cheap and it works for the majority of people. The only side effect that I can note is that you wake up feeling seedy for about 10 mins, that clears and you are fine for the next 24 hours. I also take a packet of Stematil just in case, but have never had to use it and we have been in some very rough seas.

Archived