Question about sailing out of New York to Caribbean

HeartNP

Hi!

Considering a cruise out of NYC, to the Eastern Caribbean (I think the ship is Miracle... can't remember, I've been looking at so many!).

Ship sails in mid April, and it's 8 days.

My question is, it will be pretty cold here in NY in mid April, and I am wondering how many days on board until we start getting into warmer weather?? Looks like is a full day at sea the day after we leave from NY, so I would guess that day would be pretty much an "inside day"?

Anyone with experience, please feel free to chime in!!!

What's the good, bad, and ugly about a trip out of NYC??

thank you!

Karen

I have done a similar cruise with NCL but we did it in Feb. The first day was cold but the by the next morning I was able to eat breakfast outside with just a jacket on. By noon, the jacket was off. It should be better for you. Hth.

As mentioned above, you will be sailing out the day of embarkation...so when you awake the next day, you'll be off of Hatteras NC. It should be fairly nice by then.

We've done this cruise and it is by far one of the best we've been on. The ship was great (well except for the dining room decor!:eek:). It is one of the only ships where every crew member we came across smiled actually verbalized a greeting.

Are you flying in or driving in? Parking can be pricey if you park at the pier. Unless it's changed recently, New York hasn't caught on to the park and cruise idea with hotels. Some have stayed on the Jersey side and caught the ferry over...if you don't have a lot of luggage, this is a good option..the ferry pier is just down the street from the cruise terminal. Check the Embarkation Port boards for more details about New York...lot's of good ideas there.

i did similar cruise for dec on ncl. the first day of embarkation was freezing, the next day seem to better. rest of the week was fine. when headed back the last sea days was half warm till 4 pm and half cold after 4 pm. when you look at the ship tracking channel, Norfolk, va is sot where weather change dramatically. i like cruising from nyc port this way i don't have to fly to florida and deal with the hassle.

My experience was the same as krissy72's. We sailed NCL Gem in February 2009. Temps were in the 20's embarkation day. The first full sea day was too cold for sun bathing but was fine for many on deck activities. Second sea day was perfect weather, 80's and sunny. ship was headed to St. Thomas.

Returning to New York from Tortola the first full sea day was also perfect weather. the second day was cooler but still in the low 70's most of the afternoon. On the last night in the wee hours of the morning we passed through a blizzard. I got up around 5:30 am and went up on the lido to get coffee and found nearly two inches of snow blanketing the open deck spaces. :eek: Crew were busy shoveling snow off into the sea. It was our welcome home.

We sailed out of Baltimore in February- we hit a warm front and left the port with 54 degrees. Awesome.

The midship pool was jammed packed with kids. (the dome was closed) (and boy was it noisy in there--lol)

IF the weather is cold-- you waste 4 days total of the cruise for warm weather.

2 days going and 2 days coming back.

Like posted above your embarkation day is counted as day 1 and your debarkation day would be day #4 of cold.

I was originally planning an April school break cruise out of NY too. Besides the temperature concerns, people also warned me there would be a lot of ship motion going down the eastern seaboard. (not good for my first timer husband)

When I booked in November, the Miracle balcony was around $899 while the Dream balcony (out of FL) was $759. I was lucky enough to pick up Southwest airfare for $99 each way. Then add hotel and transportion.

Going out of FL did cost a pinch more in total but IMHO the Western Carribean ports are the best.

You save the airfare mb but waste 4 days of a cruise getting to warmer waters. Most folks do it once then fly to Florida.

I am one of the Many going on the Miracle come April and love that fact that I dont have to buy airfare for our family of 4, just a hour and half drive...But have to say that we've sailed out of both Miami and Port Canaveral in April and it was a bit cool...Of course not like here in New England but pretty cool, enough to wear pants...

The first day will be a spring day and than it should get warm.

Remember you are sailing the first day embarkation day and that gives you a head start for warmer weather.

Can I just say golfadj that I love when you post because you are so postive, I love that!!!! No matter what the question is you do find the postive in it!!! THANK YOU!

We did that cruise a few years ago....our best cruise ever!!

It was in the beginning of July.....that June was an extremely cold rainy month....although we belong to a pool club...we never got there in June....so we were going to hit that warm sun without our bodies being used to it.....I had SPF 30 with us (we usually use 15)....there were cases of sun poisoning because people just sat out without any lotion (or under prepared)

Not sure about April...but I'm sure by the first morning the weather will be warmer because you will be in the Carolinas.....

As for the poster who heard leave out of NY is bumpy....we have done 5 cruises out of NY and they were all delightful....

Hi!

Considering a cruise out of NYC, to the Eastern Caribbean (I think the ship is Miracle... can't remember, I've been looking at so many!).

My question is, it will be pretty cold here in NY in mid April, and I am wondering how many days on board until we start getting into warmer weather?? Looks like is a full day at sea the day after we leave from NY, so I would guess that day would be pretty much an "inside day"?

thank you!

Karen

I'm from NY area and it's usually nice in April u should only need a light jacket. It is much cheaper to park on the Jersey side & take the ferry ver. Just a short walk to Miracle from where they let you off. You'll Love the ship - we did!

Hi!

thank you!

Karen

I was on the Miracle about 5 years ago. I cant tell you about you about the weather because we left in May. The parking cost as much as if we would have flew to Florida. The water was rough the second day. Only half the people show up for dinner.

As for fellow cruisers...there were a lot of teens unsupervised hanging in the stairwells at all time of the day and night. I had to call on 2 nights because they were running up and down the hallways knocking on doors and yelling at 3am.

the attitudes on the people were REALLY bad. Im from Jersey and deal with it everyday in the city. It was not fun.

Needly to say I will never go out of NY again.

We looked into cruising out of NYC for this april. I found a great rate on NCL a while back for my kids spring break. However, after speaking to many people, they mentioned the 2 things stated above:

1. Weather will be colder so you will loose some of the deck/pool time until you sail into warmer weather. Huge concern for me, as my kids are outdoors kids and pools,etc are one of the highlights of thier enjoyment!

2. Water can be rougher than FL waters, especially in the winter & spring months. For 2 of us in our family who are more prone to motion sickness, this really concerned me.

We came to the conclusion if we try NY area to cruise (and we only live an hour away) , we are going to do it in the summer. That being said, we are sailing out of Tampa this time and got great airfare to MCO last October.... 798 total for 4 tickets for spring break on Delta- which was UNBELIEVABLE for that time of year. So, we are spending a week in FL visiting my mom around the cruise too.

We sailed out of New York several times and love it! We did have bad weather one April when we sailed right into a Northeaster and had very rough seas and my daughter and sister were sick until we reached Florida. I would not hesitate to sale out of NY again. My favorite cruise was on the Carnival Miracle out of NY in September. Would love to do that one again!

Thank you all for your responses!!!

For this cruise, it will likely only be me and my DS age 8, and maybe my DS 13. Husband and 16 year old are staying home (not interested in going away, but I SOOOOO need some R and R!!!).

It might just be easier for me (as the only parent going) to not have the hassle of flying, even if I do lose a few days of warmth (hey, there's always the spa!). My son will have fun no matter what the temperature is!

This will be the first time I have ever done a "solo" vacation, but honestly, I think I am looking forward to it! I just really need to relax, read, rest. Don't need any major nightlife, other than maybe hanging out with my 8 year old in the arcade! I'm a bit nervous, but I think it will be great.

thank you!

Karen

The Miracle has a retractable roof that can cover one of the two Lido deck pools so there will still be deck activities on the cold days in addition to the other activities you mention.

I'm sure you will have a great time sailing from new York in April....enjoy! :)

We are on this sailing too....Did it in 2008 on NCL Spirit....left on a Saturday and got up on Sunday morning and it was 70 ish...kids were in pool and having a ball...by noon it was 80's and wonderful!!! Coming home it was gorgeous til about 7 pm on the last night....started to rain and was freezing to watch the Statue of Liberty go by....but didn't really lose any days....and I believe Miracle has a retractable roof over the Lido Pool, so hopefully they will have it closed if the weather is yucky the first day!!

Saves my family of 6, tons of money not having to fly.....couldn't find a flight to Florida for less than $300 per person....$1800 saved!!! Booked Miracle for $4300 for 6 of us!!

We are on this sailing too....Did it in 2008 on NCL Spirit....left on a Saturday and got up on Sunday morning and it was 70 ish...kids were in pool and having a ball...by noon it was 80's and wonderful!!! Coming home it was gorgeous til about 7 pm on the last night....started to rain and was freezing to watch the Statue of Liberty go by....but didn't really lose any days....and I believe Miracle has a retractable roof over the Lido Pool, so hopefully they will have it closed if the weather is yucky the first day!!

Saves my family of 6, tons of money not having to fly.....couldn't find a flight to Florida for less than $300 per person....$1800 saved!!! Booked Miracle for $4300 for 6 of us!!

I hear you on the airfare, we were gonna fly to texas to go on the Magic, but the flights for a family of 4....Insane(and I know to expect that in April cause of spring break but almost $2,000? Anyhow yes I will take a drive to port to NY over paying that amount in airfare!! Saves us money ...That we can now put to going to Florida in August and not pay anywhere near 2 grand!

OP...we sail every May for the last few years...the first day is hit or miss

Once you set sail ...you will wake up off the coast of VA/NC....much warmer...we did sit up on the lido sunning...then the second day...was really nice....the last sea day again may be cooler but nice

Easy on easy off in NYC....Use car service for this...no hassles

Have fun!!

OP...we sail every May for the last few years...the first day is hit or miss

Once you set sail ...you will wake up off the coast of VA/NC....much warmer...we did sit up on the lido sunning...then the second day...was really nice....the last sea day again may be cooler but nice

Easy on easy off in NYC....Use car service for this...no hassles

Have fun!!

Good to know...I'll be sailing May 14 and was wondering if it would be cold. I'm from MA and it's not really cold in May...but I was still thinking about it!

OP I've been on this cruise once before, but it was in June. It's a great itinerary and I agree.....skipping the airfares will save you SO much money...Have fun!

Archived