Carnival cruise lines does NOT own Costa

TWELVEOHONE

Lets make this clear, Carnival cruise lines does NOT own Costa.

CARNIVAL CORPORATION is the holding company for Coata Cruise lines, Carnival Cruise lines, Princess, Cunard, Holland America, AIDA, Ibero, and Seaborn.t

I'm sure the passengers appreciate the clarification.

It's not the passengers who needed the clarification, it's the media. It's not helped one bit either, see last night's 20/20 aka Carnival SmearFest 2012... I would be suing if I was them.

The problem is that for every 1 ambulance chasing attorney that Carnival could dig up...Disney could roll out about a two dozen.

It's not the passengers who needed the clarification, it's the media. It's not helped one bit either, see last night's 20/20 aka Carnival SmearFest 2012... I would be suing if I was them.

Has anyone seen Carnival CEO Micky Arison since the Concordia disaster? Is he at the Heat game tonight? He has not been seen in Italy. Astonishing. What a company.....

Yeah and Bill Gates doesn't own all of Microsoft, he just controls it because he owns most of it.

Actually, Bill Gates retired in 2008. Steve Ballmer has been running MS since then.

Yeah. Right.

As for the OP's point, I'm a big Carnival fan myself, but they've got a mess on their hands, however you spin it. I can't believe there have been 8 pages on this.

The truth is the ultimate defense. While it might have been somewhat one sided, I don't believe any was fictional except maybe that passengers were forced to eat Spam.

Just in case this has not been properly defined:

Carnival Corp is the holding company for Costa and Carnival Cruise Lines, which are wholly owned subsidiaries. As the only shareholder, Carnival Corp chooses the board of directors for the subsidiaries--often putting the same directors in multiple subsidiaries. The board of directors controls the subsidiary, setting policy and hiring/firing senior execs like the CEO. What this means is that the directors of Carnival Corp have ultimate control of their subsidiaries through control of the subsidiary boards.

Carnival Corp is the holding company for Costa and Carnival Cruise Lines, which are wholly owned subsidiaries. As the only shareholder, Carnival Corp chooses the board of directors for the subsidiaries--often putting the same directors in multiple subsidiaries. The board of directors controls the subsidiary, setting policy and hiring/firing senior execs like the CEO. What this means is that the directors of Carnival Corp have ultimate control of their subsidiaries through control of the subsidiary boards.

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner!

Yes, and Carnival Corp was established way back when Micky's dad Ted Arison founded the company after having a fallout with NCL CEO with whom he co-founded NCL. In those early years, Carnival only had two ships (Carnivale and Mardi Gras, who incidently, the Capt sailed into a sandbar and grounded on her maiden voyage) This is way before Carnival became the biggest cruise line in the world and aquiring other cruise lines was still a twinkle in Ted's eye. The initial ships were registered in Liberia. So the name Carnival Corp does not suprise me. But to say CCL has nothing to do with Costa is truly spliting hairs and uninformed at best, disingengous at worst.

Also, interesting read.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2000-02-03/news/defede/

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner!

Very well put! Now, all together.....Carnival owns Costa....Carnival owns Costa...oh wait, Carnival CORP owns Costa....jeez what a bunch hooey about nothing.

And this is why I thought it was a big mistake for Carnival Corp to have bought all these cruiselines. One thing happens with one subsidiary and the entire company suffers. Always remember that this is not the first nor the last where a a parent corporation has to do damage control of a subsidiary. No matter what, the parent is ultimately responsible for any incidents incurred by the subsidiary.

I know this totally first hand. Remember back in the 90's when Legionnaire's disease broke out on Celebrity's Horizon? I worked for the minority owner, Overseas Shipholding Group at the time. Chandris wanted to back away and do nothing for any of the passengers who were now stranded in Bermuda. It was my company president who informed Chandris "Are you kidding me? Do you know how much bad publicity we're going to suffer?" He and OSG's upper management flew down immediately and on a private jet with an open checkbook, where passengers were put up in hotels until they could get a flight back to their home city. Granted, the Costa Concordia passenger and crew numbers are 4 - 5 times larger, but at least the passengers were taken care of.

As far as the crew is concerned, they are all hired by manning companies. I am sure that Costa was contacted by these companies as Costa is totally responsible for their transportation and any medical costs so they were not stranded not left to fend for themselves in Italy.

I hope that we can all put this confusing issue to rest. And yes, I do feel that Carnival might be re-thinking the name of their corporation

Anita - worked for 12 years in shipping, handling crew manning expenses!

Archived