When Vacations Attach - Roatan Monkeys

RBKL

There is a show on the Travel Channel tonight (and it re-airs often) with a scene from a family in Roatan with monkeys. One of the monkeys named Poncho attacks a teen boy in the group. Pretty bad bites.

Ended up having to get rabies shots back home when the bites didn't heal.

Not sure where they were but it looked like it was near a zipline too.

The video is also posted on Youtube.

Poncho was doing great with everybody else in the group but jumped on the one boy and started biting him.

I realize the risks you take when doing things like this but it didn't seem the owners took any action to help them.

We're in Roatan on our upcoming cruise and might pass on the monkees just to be safe.

There is a report here about from a lady whose female child was injured by one of the monkeys.. I can't remember more than that now.

Critters are wild..people gotta pay more attention..dogs and cats both can do some damage if a person is not paying attention.

My 11 year old dd was bit by one of the Bodden tours monkeys this past November. The monkey bit her finger (drawing blood) and then jumped down and started to attack her leg. The guide had to pull the monkey off dd and we left the cage immediately. There was another monkey we saw seperated from the rest that had severe bruising on its face and the guide said that it had been beaten (don't know exactly what happened other than what she told us).

Not knowing if we should be worried about rabies or another other monkey related illnesses, we checked with the ship's infirmary and were told that the animals are all required to be vaccinated. The only long lasting effect the attack has had is that dd (and our other two children) have no desire to hold a monkey anymore.

I was bitten on the cheek just under the eye by somebody's "friendly" pet monkey almost 40 years ago at age 14. Pretty scary at the time having this creature launching onto my head and then leaning over and digging in. Went to the hospital for rabies shot & butterfly stitches. It healed up fine, makes for a GREAT story (you whaaaat??!!) but I don't recommend it if it can be avoided. I am a big time animal lover still, but I sure can't stand monkeys even now!

• 3 years later...

We were just in Roatan and this is precisely why we passed on the monkey petting. The young man recently attacked in Roatan is a great reminder that these are wild animals may or may not be innocculated against rabies/disease. Also, when your so far away from quality medical care, as you can see in the video, you are at great risk. According to the newscast, the staff in charge told the family that the monkey was healthy? Really, did they provide any documentation or just trust us? Obviously, they have no liability and therefore no worries. It is scary when countless times we read about different monkey / chimp attacks that kill or maime people and then we see this latest attack where people on vacation seem to forget this is actually quite common. Sometimes we even see parents letting their child hold or get face to face with monkeys and it is unreal. its a shame this young man had to go through this ordeal, however it's a great reminder and learning lesson to the rest of us on vacation, that the risks we take are avoidable, especially so far away from proper care.

I don't understand why you would play with wild animals. I hope if you hold the monkeys that you mark it on your customs form when you come home, because it does ask. Just a very dangerous thing to do, there is no telling what diseases you might be bringing home.

• 2 weeks later...

Resurrected a 3 yr old thread, but I guess the safety warnings need to be repeated. Do not bring food or peanuts for the monkeys, do not try to handle or pet them, and always have staff nearby when you interact with wildlife. Always follow the instructions of the guides/staff, and make no sudden movements. Avoid flash if taking pictures. Stay safe and enjoy.