Golden vs. Sapphire Alaska

stlrod

Planning to surprise my wife with a cruise for our anniversary (5/26) and after first looking at the Coral Princess, decided either the Golden or Sapphire would be a better choice because we generally like newer ships (the Sapphire is undergoing an extensive renovation now and the Golden will just becoming out of what appears to be a general maintenance drydock.) I realize the Sapphire's advantages are both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay, but we are probably okay with just a "taste" of Alaska. Am concerned about the number of people on the Golden and what appears to be some short stops in the ports. We will not be adding a cruise tour and cost is an issue as we have two kids in college and just returned from Hawaii (though coast of the cruise portion is virtually the same using different cabin types.) We will be using ff miles for flight and it is certainly easier to get to and from Seattle (can fly nonstop from Midwest) than either of the other ports. We've been to Seattle before and like it very much but it would be nice to visit Vancouver (though my guess is that will add a lot to the cost.) Any advice/suggestions/comments about the itineraries/activities/food would be appreciated. I've included pricing and itineraries for each. Thanks.

Golden Princess Obstructed OV Gty $1695 for 2 w/ $60 OBC

Saturday, May 26, 2012 Seattle, Washington -- 4:00 PM

Sunday, May 27, 2012 At Sea

Monday, May 28, 2012 Juneau, Alaska 12:00 PM 10:00 PM

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 Skagway, Alaska 6:00 AM 08:15 PM

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 Glacier Bay National Park, Alaska 6:00 AM 3:00 PM

Thursday, May 31, 2012 Ketchikan, Alaska 7:00 AM 12:30 PM

Friday, June 1, 2012 Victoria, British Columbia 7:00 PM 11:59 PM

Saturday, June 2, 2012 Seattle, Washington 7:00 AM

Sapphire Princess Interior $1818 for 2 w/ $75 OBC

Saturday, May 26, 2012 Whittier, Alaska -- 8:30 PM

Sunday, May 27, 2012 Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 3:00 PM 8:00 PM

Monday, May 28, 2012 Glacier Bay National Park, Alaska 10:30 AM 8:30 PM

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 Skagway, Alaska 7:00 AM 8:30 PM

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 Juneau, Alaska 6:30 AM 4:00 PM

Thursday, May 31, 2012 Ketchikan, Alaska 10:00 AM 6:00 PM

Friday, June 1, 2012 At Sea -- --

Saturday, June 2, 2012 Vancouver, British Columbia 7:30 AM

Planning to surprise my wife with a cruise for our anniversary (5/26) and after first looking at the Coral Princess, decided either the Golden or Sapphire would be a better choice because we generally like newer ships (the Sapphire is undergoing an extensive renovation now and the Golden will just becoming out of what appears to be a general maintenance drydock.) I realize the Sapphire's advantages are both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay, but we are probably okay with just a "taste" of Alaska. Am concerned about the number of people on the Golden and what appears to be some short stops in the ports. We will not be adding a cruise tour and cost is an issue as we have two kids in college and just returned from Hawaii (though coast of the cruise portion is virtually the same using different cabin types.) We will be using ff miles for flight and it is certainly easier to get to and from Seattle (can fly nonstop from Midwest) than either of the other ports. We've been to Seattle before and like it very much but it would be nice to visit Vancouver (though my guess is that will add a lot to the cost.) Any advice/suggestions/comments about the itineraries/activities/food would be appreciated. I've included pricing and itineraries for each. Thanks.

Golden Princess Obstructed OV Gty $1695 for 2 w/ $60 OBC

Saturday, May 26, 2012 Seattle, Washington -- 4:00 PM

Sunday, May 27, 2012 At Sea

Monday, May 28, 2012 Juneau, Alaska 12:00 PM 10:00 PM

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 Skagway, Alaska 6:00 AM 08:15 PM

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 Glacier Bay National Park, Alaska 6:00 AM 3:00 PM

Thursday, May 31, 2012 Ketchikan, Alaska 7:00 AM 12:30 PM

Friday, June 1, 2012 Victoria, British Columbia 7:00 PM 11:59 PM

Saturday, June 2, 2012 Seattle, Washington 7:00 AM

Sapphire Princess Interior $1818 for 2 w/ $75 OBC

Saturday, May 26, 2012 Whittier, Alaska -- 8:30 PM

Sunday, May 27, 2012 Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 3:00 PM 8:00 PM

Monday, May 28, 2012 Glacier Bay National Park, Alaska 10:30 AM 8:30 PM

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 Skagway, Alaska 7:00 AM 8:30 PM

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 Juneau, Alaska 6:30 AM 4:00 PM

Thursday, May 31, 2012 Ketchikan, Alaska 10:00 AM 6:00 PM

Friday, June 1, 2012 At Sea -- --

Saturday, June 2, 2012 Vancouver, British Columbia 7:30 AM

Having done both I can say that the one way is far superior to the RT from Seattle. Too much outside passage sailing from Seattle and a stop in Victoria that isn't so great. Sailing from Whittier and getting both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay in the same itinerary is much better. When you arrive in Vancouver you can transfer right to Seattle and still spend time there before going home. :D

These are two completely different itineraries. Certainly the one way, has "more". But, in my opinion, I would never consider it without touring interior Alaska, BUT plenty of people do. At the least, I would suggest a Prince William Sound boat tour, with a late overnight flight out.

Finally, be careful with the "surprise" perhaps. I don't like them, and have definate priorities in my travels. Your wife may have ideas that you are totally unaware of. Perhaps give her the "trip" and the two of you make the final selection together.

Archived