Menu display on TV?

crznfuls

True, I hadn't thought about routing the signal over coax, which is what I assume they are using, I was positing a full network spread with a thin client as you noted or a device in every cabin at least since you would need something to convert the coax signal like your cable modem does. TVs with that capability built in would work..

So at around 1000+ cabins per ship average (and some cabins having 2 units - I know mini suites do, do balconies?) lets take a overly safe estimate of 1500 units per ship at $500 each - $750,000 per ship. I think some form of server would be required just to hold content, but you are right, the cost would be minimal for that piece. Allowing for spares, installation costs, the cost would still be around $1mil per ship, but not millions..

You forgot to subtract the cost of purchasing a normal tv which is no longer needed. And there is normally some assumed savings due to the fact that they no longer need to print and deliver hard copies. There is also some hope that people will use it instead of bothering the purser and that will also reduce labor.

These systems are purchased because of the revenue they generate. The extra charge for movies on demand... When we were putting these types of things into hotels they were free to the property and we just shared the profits. The most profit coming from adult movies. I remember that hotels were getting around $15 per movie and most people shut them off after about 7 minutes.

Most ships have been recently flat paneled so I considered that a sunk cost not an opportunity cost. And I can't see them doing VOD though your revenue model makes sense, maybe having more kids movies. You would have to link to the ships billing system for that though (ditto for the folios), which could be interesting, not the most modern system. And it could add to the delay on disembarkation as people line up to say they didn't mean to rent THAT movie :) One big difference is the fact the whole hotel checks out same day...

Personally, I think its a great idea, just not a critical need. As I noted earlier, they could easily put the menu rotation on a channel like they do for the 'Navigator's Log' and let it scroll all day without updating the current tech.

You forgot to subtract the cost of purchasing a normal tv which is no longer needed. And there is normally some assumed savings due to the fact that they no longer need to print and deliver hard copies. There is also some hope that people will use it instead of bothering the purser and that will also reduce labor.

These systems are purchased because of the revenue they generate. The extra charge for movies on demand... When we were putting these types of things into hotels they were free to the property and we just shared the profits. The most profit coming from adult movies. I remember that hotels were getting around $15 per movie and most people shut them off after about 7 minutes.

So true.

I can honestly say that in a hotel, I have never, ever used the television to look at my bill or peruse the restaurant/room service menu or to check out. Whereas, I have on numerous occasions on Princess done laundry and kept things in the fridge. Priorities . . .

Ditto.

I have checked out online in a hotel or checked my bill. Saves waiting in line at the front desk. Is there any reason Princess can't provide self-service laundry, fridges, and interactive TV (besides the costs, which some of our more technical friends have been discussing on this thread - great info BTW - thanks! ) I don't think its a question of either/or. If there is enough demand hopefully it will start to be installed when the ships go into drydock.

The estimate I heard was $1-mil/ship so you're in the ballpark. Until there is significant demand, I don't see this expense vs. another amenity or upgrade happening. If you really want it, whining on the message boards isn't going to help. Writing a Comment Card while on the ship or filling out the electronic questionnaire post-cruise is the way to make your desires known.

I don't see it as whining. I see it as expressing our opinions, which I thought was one reason for the existence of these boards.

I have read numerous times (on Cruise Critic) that the cruiseline management do read these boards so I don't think it will hurt for us to express these ideas online. Maybe it will improve things for the better. I don't think it means they will take away any fridges or self-service laundries to provide this additional amenity if they see enough people wanting it.

I am leaving on the Ruby on Sunday so I will be sure to put this on my comment card..........

I don't see it as whining. I see it as expressing our opinions, which I thought was one reason for the existence of these boards.

I have read numerous times (on Cruise Critic) that the cruiseline management do read these boards so I don't think it will hurt for us to express these ideas online. Maybe it will improve things for the better. I don't think it means they will take away any fridges or self-service laundries to provide this additional amenity if they see enough people wanting it.

I am leaving on the Ruby on Sunday so I will be sure to put this on my comment card..........

I suspect this can be done even more cheaply. The $700 I found was for a 32" LG. Princess uses some strange brand I have never heard of and I think their TVs are smaller than 32". There must be discount brands that have the same functionality.

$1,000,000 per ship is high. I'd be happy to do it for $750,000. (3 ship minimum though.)

Does that factor in the labor of replacing 1000-1500 TVs, carting them on ship, removing and disposing of old ones (hazardous waste if CRTs), Project management? If so, I think Princess should take someone up on it...

That said, I am sure that cost could be reduced to a financially feasible level if Princess had the motivation to do so. But as I ponder this, I really see them trying to portray a more low-tech, stately image in how they do things. Which is why I don't expect to see in-room interactive or photo kiosks instead of the big walls anytime soon (as much as I would like to)

I suspect this can be done even more cheaply. The $700 I found was for a 32" LG. Princess uses some strange brand I have never heard of and I think their TVs are smaller than 32". There must be discount brands that have the same functionality.

$1,000,000 per ship is high. I'd be happy to do it for $750,000. (3 ship minimum though.)

It's not whining. This is Cruise Critic. When other lines do something better than Princess does it, pointing it out is good constructive criticism. When even the budget cruise lines provide something that Princess doesn't, paying customers can let them know about it on message boards, comment cards, emails, or any other means. It is frustrating not seeing the folio until the end of the cruise. When mistakes are made or you have questions, the lines at the purser's desks get backed up. It's a pain when you're trying to pack and enjoy your last day on your vacation.

Personally, I do not miss not having menus and statements on the cabin TVs.

o I like to write on the statements so I know what the charges are really for. Hard to do that on a TV screen.

o Easy enough to see the menus other ways as others have pointed out.

Archived