Menu display on TV?

crznfuls

Other cruise lines we've been on, display the current day's MDR menu on one of the TV channels. Does Princess do this too? It's nice to take a peek at the menu to determine what to get hungry for or to make other plans for the evening in regards where to have dinner.

We were on Carnival last year and could view the current day's menu on TV. The year before we were on Royal Caribbean and I believe they did the same. These two lines also let you view your on-board account on TV so you can keep an eye on it in your room. These are nice features to have available.

I presume that you are asking the OP, and not me?:)..because I know that you know that you can see the menus posted on the wall each day.

LOL. Yep........do know that. ;) And never look. :D I meant the TV and you know I meant that! :p

Other cruise lines we've been on, display the current day's MDR menu on one of the TV channels. Does Princess do this too? It's nice to take a peek at the menu to determine what to get hungry for or to make other plans for the evening in regards where to have dinner.

I've made this "suggestion" twice on my Princess passenger feedback form. Just don't understand why it cannot be done. The MDR along with the buffet theme, and the pizza-of-the-day "flavor"!

Please, Princess, step into the 21 century with the rest of us by providing this type of information via stateroom flatscreens!

I believe Celebrity also posts the menus on the interactive TV. You can also order from the room service menu via the TV.

We were on the celebrity equinox last jan 2011 and although they are at the top with interactive TV, such as view your bill, photos, plenty of music etc they did not have the daily menu on there, This came up and I was actually called by the folks in their headquarters, know I also fully realize I was not the first to mention it but they did take the time to a. call b. follow up with emails and not just on that idea but some service issues

However not to say that they have not implemented it, would not take much for sure

Regards

Pete

Interactive TV would require re-wiring the whole ship, devices on each TV, several servers - not an option except for a major drydock or new build. Cost - probably a few million per ship.

Now, just putting the menu on the rotating ship information channel? That might be doable....

Last couple of cruises with RCCL, we could view the menu and our account on the tv. In June (2011) -RCCL Allure, we were able to order room service from the tv. With Carnival in 2010, we could only view our account. Hope I remember to put on my comment card in August, on the Golden, that it would be an added luxury to have an interactive tv with acct info, menu posting and room service ordering.

BTW, you can always ask the MD or headwaiter for a copy of the next days menu to peruse at dinner (or give them a little time and they can pull any one for the cruise)
Bring your camera or phone to take a picture and then you can look at the menu(s) whenever you want. No need to turn on the TV.

Now, if only those so-called technologically advanced cruiselines would only have self-serve laundries on every passenger deck, mini-frigs and WiFi in cabins and throughout the ship. Different strokes for different folks.

Interactive TV would require re-wiring the whole ship, devices on each TV, several servers - not an option except for a major drydock or new build. Cost - probably a few million per ship.

Now, just putting the menu on the rotating ship information channel? That might be doable....

Why would you need to rewire the whole ship? When I went from roof top antenna to interactive cable I did not need to rewire anything. I also do my high speed internet on the same wire and it works fine.

They have been running Ethernets on coaxial cable for some time now. Are the ships wired with something other than coax for TV?

LG currently has a line of tvs that they call the “Pro-Centric” that are already equipped to do video on demand and interactive content over coaxial. Other manufactures also have similar lines. You will not see them at Wal-Mart though because they are marketed only to places like hotels and nursing homes. A 32” LCD cost about 700 per unit. I imagine that bulk discounts can be arranged. A dedicated server should cost less than $1000. Probably not needed though if they don’t do VOD. I am sure they already have servers in place that could serve interactive web pages to show bill statements.

Back in the 90s we were installing Citrix thin clients in hotel rooms so that guests could check room accounts and surf the web. I think those things were a few hundred per room and you still needed to buy a separate TV. They connected to an Ethernet on cat-5 wire. Not needed now though as TV manufactures will build this in and it works on coax.

Bring your camera or phone to take a picture and then you can look at the menu(s) whenever you want. No need to turn on the TV.

Now, if only those so-called technologically advanced cruiselines would only have self-serve laundries on every passenger deck, mini-frigs and WiFi in cabins and throughout the ship. Different strokes for different folks.

So true.

I can honestly say that in a hotel, I have never, ever used the television to look at my bill or peruse the restaurant/room service menu or to check out. Whereas, I have on numerous occasions on Princess done laundry and kept things in the fridge. Priorities . . .

I can see no reason to spend time in my cabin looking at the TV for the menus or billings. I would much rather be out and about.

Ditto.

True, I hadn't thought about routing the signal over coax, which is what I assume they are using, I was positing a full network spread with a thin client as you noted or a device in every cabin at least since you would need something to convert the coax signal like your cable modem does. TVs with that capability built in would work..

So at around 1000+ cabins per ship average (and some cabins having 2 units - I know mini suites do, do balconies?) lets take a overly safe estimate of 1500 units per ship at $500 each - $750,000 per ship. I think some form of server would be required just to hold content, but you are right, the cost would be minimal for that piece. Allowing for spares, installation costs, the cost would still be around $1mil per ship, but not millions..

Why would you need to rewire the whole ship? When I went from roof top antenna to interactive cable I did not need to rewire anything. I also do my high speed internet on the same wire and it works fine.

They have been running Ethernets on coaxial cable for some time now. Are the ships wired with something other than coax for TV?

LG currently has a line of tvs that they call the “Pro-Centric” that are already equipped to do video on demand and interactive content over coaxial. Other manufactures also have similar lines. You will not see them at Wal-Mart though because they are marketed only to places like hotels and nursing homes. A 32” LCD cost about 700 per unit. I imagine that bulk discounts can be arranged. A dedicated server should cost less than $1000. Probably not needed though if they don’t do VOD. I am sure they already have servers in place that could serve interactive web pages to show bill statements.

Back in the 90s we were installing Citrix thin clients in hotel rooms so that guests could check room accounts and surf the web. I think those things were a few hundred per room and you still needed to buy a separate TV. They connected to an Ethernet on cat-5 wire. Not needed now though as TV manufactures will build this in and it works on coax.

Allowing for spares, installation costs, the cost would still be around $1mil per ship, but not millions..
The estimate I heard was $1-mil/ship so you're in the ballpark. Until there is significant demand, I don't see this expense vs. another amenity or upgrade happening. If you really want it, whining on the message boards isn't going to help. Writing a Comment Card while on the ship or filling out the electronic questionnaire post-cruise is the way to make your desires known.

Archived