Foundation Recommendation

Coltsfan18

do you want mineral ? You may try a different color or finish on BE.

For mineral, Try meow cosmetics, Silk Naturals, Lucy minerals, adorned with grace, earthen glow, lumiere mineral, everyday minerals.. These are some good online alternitived to BE and the prices are better. Most offer good size samples at a reasonable price.

For a cream liquid, I would try cat Cosmetics, Lancome. And try out the drug store stuff and see what works. It depends on your skin what works best, I have some Cg and Revelon foundations as well as my Cat and Lancome. I have been loving Cat lately. But always have my mineral stuff I use. GL finding something that works for you.

Also do you use a primer before foundation and after moisturizing? I always do and it helps hold the make up and stop settling. I like the Urban decay primer as well as the smashbox photo finish but there are a ton of others. GL

I'm nearing 50 and am looking for a lighter-weight foundation but I do need coverage (for redness) and cannot wear primers since they cause me to breakout (yep, at 47 I'm still prone). I can and do wear a primer only on and right around my nose because I NEED to for large pores but I will still occassionally get a zit on my nose).

On the up side from my still oily skin (but not as much as when I was younger), I have no wrinkles. I'm going to try some of these recommended foundations and see what happens.

I do HAVE to wear a primer for eye shadow or I'd never have any on! I have the oiliest eye lids around!

Wow I guess I am living in the dark ages of foundation because I have never heard of primer, lol! Is it a lotion based product or a powder or what? Tinted? What exactly does it do? Even when I have tried on different foundations at the Clinique counter no one has ever recommended that to me. That's why these boards are so great!

I'm nearing 50 and am looking for a lighter-weight foundation but I do need coverage (for redness) and cannot wear primers since they cause me to breakout (yep, at 47 I'm still prone). I can and do wear a primer only on and right around my nose because I NEED to for large pores but I will still occassionally get a zit on my nose).

On the up side from my still oily skin (but not as much as when I was younger), I have no wrinkles. I'm going to try some of these recommended foundations and see what happens.

I do HAVE to wear a primer for eye shadow or I'd never have any on! I have the oiliest eye lids around!

Different primers have different ingredients. I know the Urban decay is one of the ones less prone to cause problems

Wow I guess I am living in the dark ages of foundation because I have never heard of primer, lol! Is it a lotion based product or a powder or what? Tinted? What exactly does it do? Even when I have tried on different foundations at the Clinique counter no one has ever recommended that to me. That's why these boards are so great!

It is more a lotion/ gel. although there are powder ones. I find the the lotion. gel to work better. They are supposed to smooth and fill and keep the makeup on longer. There are a lot of them out there now and they do work. If you have a sephora or a ulta ask about them. Most of the more common brands have them . You can look at walmart, target, cvs etc..

I used to use BE too, and had the same issues with it settling into fine lines, even with primer. I have tried several foundations, powder and liquid, since then and have finally found something that works wonders on my skin.

I use a primer first (Smashbox) and then It Cosmetics Bye Bye Under Eye Concealer. Hear me out, I know it's a concealer, but I use this as my foundation. It only takes a tiny amount, a little more than the size of the head of a pin, to dot around my eyes, nose, chin, and on some sun spots on my cheeks. Then I gently blend it with either a foundation brush or my fingers. It's silky smooth, and the coverage is amazing. I have very dark circles around my eyes and it covers them completely, as well as the redness on my nose, and dark sun spots. It doesn't settle into lines, and lasts all day. It's also waterproof.

You can get it several places, here is the link to one. This little tube lasts me about 5 months. The Natural Medium is the color most people get.

http://www.drugstore.com/it-cosmetics-bye-bye-under-eye-full-coverage-waterproof-concealer-natural-medium-light-medium/qxp218120?catid=12974

I hear ya! I've NEVER been able to wear eye shadow, it was always in my crease in just a few minutes no matter what brand I used. Finally I learned about primer and I love it! 12+ hours with no creasing. I use Urban Decay Primer Potion. I read that a lot of people use monistat chafing gel and they said it's amazing as a primer and loads cheaper. I've never personally tried it and I don't know if they meant just for eyes or the entire face.

I hear ya! I've NEVER been able to wear eye shadow, it was always in my crease in just a few minutes no matter what brand I used. Finally I learned about primer and I love it! 12+ hours with no creasing. I use Urban Decay Primer Potion. I read that a lot of people use monistat chafing gel and they said it's amazing as a primer and loads cheaper. I've never personally tried it and I don't know if they meant just for eyes or the entire face.

I use Too Faced eye shadow primer because it's in a squeeze tube. I used to use Urban Decay's when it was in the cute little bottle but I switched because I knew I was leaving tons of primer in that little bottle because I couldn't get to it. I think I saw UD had gone to a squeeze tube as well, but I've not switched back. But yes, eye shadow primer is worth it's weight in gold for those of us who either have shadow crease or just disappear without it.

Monastat is for all over face. I use the UDPP for my eyes too and then cut open the bottle when it is " done" and put the rest and a jar

I haven't read all the replies so not sure if this was mentioned.. I really am liking the clinique superbalanced makeup these days.

I'm just about 40 and it is really nice on my skin, doesn't "settle" into the lines or cake up on me.

It's (fairly) reasonably priced too, about 1/2 the price of Nars, Chanel, Bobbi Brown, etc

I haven't read all the replies so not sure if this was mentioned.. I really am liking the clinique superbalanced makeup these days.

I'm just about 40 and it is really nice on my skin, doesn't "settle" into the lines or cake up on me.

It's (fairly) reasonably priced too, about 1/2 the price of Nars, Chanel, Bobbi Brown, etc

Ha ha, I mentioned that one a few posts back too, I'm 51 and love that it doesn't accentuate my wrinkles. A bottle lasts me about six months - just long enough to qualify for the Gift with Purchase!:p

JCPenney has Sephora's in a lot of them.

Ulta appears to be in Texas, that's where I buy all of my cosmetics from. They have a 30 day return policy on everything, so if you don't like it you just return it and try something else. They sell both the prestige brands and the drugstore ones and the return policy applies to everything they sell.

THANK YOU!

Fellow Buckeye here wanted to thank you for this information. I have never been in an Ultra although there is one right around the corner from my house. Good to know about the 30 day return policy as I am struggling to find a new foundation. Has anyone tried Laura Geller cosmetics? A friend swears by the brand although I had never heard of it before.

Ha ha, I mentioned that one a few posts back too, I'm 51 and love that it doesn't accentuate my wrinkles. A bottle lasts me about six months - just long enough to qualify for the Gift with Purchase!:p

Yes Clinique definitely does great gift with purchases!! I love the ones where you can pick all the items you want and they come in a great little bag.

The other day (it may still be valid) Neiman Marcus has a promotion where you buy any Clinique item and you get a free mini blush and a free full size mascara.

I bought the $12.50 lip care stuff

Code CLINIQUE for the free mascara/mini blush and code NMJAN for free shipping.

I'm not quite to 50 yet, but I find that mixing foundation with moisturizer can give a nice, light look without settling into the lines around my eyes and mouth. You might try that with a liquid foundation that you already have, just blend them together in your palm. And I second (seventh?) the primer suggestions. There are different primers for dry, oily, or discolored skin. Don't give up if you don't like the first one you try.

Hello,

I love reading this board. Everyone always gives great advice.

I will turn 50 in a few months. For many years I have worn Bare Essentials. Recently, the powder has started settling into my wrinkles. :(

I tried a foundation by Lancome, but it was really heavy and after several hours it looked like a mask - not very natural.

Can anyone recommend a foundation that is light, and looks natural, for an almost 50 year old? We cruise in a few weeks and I would like to purchase new makeup before I leave.

Thanks in advance!

Angie

Hi :)

My two cents, I sold Estée Lauder for 5 years & loved one of theirs but they discontinued making it SO I've been trying to find something for a while now. I think after four tries I've found it!

I want a natural, stay in place, doesn't smear all over my clothes look that doesn't get in my pores & wrinkles. Cargo liquid is perfect! I love it! Ulta & Sephora sell it & you can return it if you aren't happy :)

Good luck!

Clinique also has one called Workout Makeup which is lightweight and holds up well in sweaty conditions. I like to use it at the beach or when we're in a hot port. I think it also has a light spf (6 or 8). Very natural looking.

I use a Clarins product. It works like a charm and literally 'plumps' lines and wrinkles for a smooth look. I apply with a foundation brush over my moisturizer and under my concealer, foundation as other makeup. It WORKS.

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/product.jsp?isEditorial=false&index=6&masterId=cat32530732&itemId=prod118590053&cmCat=cat000000cat000285cat4830738cat000294cat32530732cat33150732&parentId=cat33150732

THANK YOU!

Fellow Buckeye here wanted to thank you for this information. I have never been in an Ultra although there is one right around the corner from my house. Good to know about the 30 day return policy as I am struggling to find a new foundation. Has anyone tried Laura Geller cosmetics? A friend swears by the brand although I had never heard of it before.

Yep..am replying back to my own post for update. I did try the Laura Gellar powder foundation. I tried to wear it on 3 different days and each of the days my eyes were irritated and stinging the entire day. I also had a headache on each of those days maybe brought on by the eye irritation? At any rate, when I took it back to Ultra the sales clerk said it has a lot of talc in it which does cause irritation to some people. So now I know to steer clear of cosmetics with talc as I am obviously one of those people who are irritated by it.

Yep..am replying back to my own post for update. I did try the Laura Gellar powder foundation. I tried to wear it on 3 different days and each of the days my eyes were irritated and stinging the entire day. I also had a headache on each of those days maybe brought on by the eye irritation? At any rate, when I took it back to Ultra the sales clerk said it has a lot of talc in it which does cause irritation to some people. So now I know to steer clear of cosmetics with talc as I am obviously one of those people who are irritated by it.

Yikes! I love my new Estée Lauder foundation. I've had it a week now and it is flawless and feels so light for the amount of coverage I get. Wooooo!!

I am not really a make-up wearing type of girl. I just don't take the time unless it is a special occasion. Last night I did a trail run with some face bronzer/tanning lotion on my stomach. I didn't want to go into work today with a orange face. It came out nice and barely noticable on my stomach so I just put some on my face this morning. I plan to just use sunless tanning lotions for a while before my trip. To me, it gives me the same look as wearing foundation. I am pasty white, so a little color makes me look healthier.

Archived