Foundation Recommendation

Coltsfan18

Hello,

I love reading this board. Everyone always gives great advice.

I will turn 50 in a few months. For many years I have worn Bare Essentials. Recently, the powder has started settling into my wrinkles. :(

I tried a foundation by Lancome, but it was really heavy and after several hours it looked like a mask - not very natural.

Can anyone recommend a foundation that is light, and looks natural, for an almost 50 year old? We cruise in a few weeks and I would like to purchase new makeup before I leave.

Thanks in advance!

Angie

Hello,

I will turn 50 in a few months. For many years I have worn Bare Essentials. Recently, the powder has started settling into my wrinkles. :(

I tried a foundation by Lancome, but it was really heavy and after several hours it looked like a mask - not very natural.

Can anyone recommend a foundation that is light, and looks natural, for an almost 50 year old? We cruise in a few weeks and I would like to purchase new makeup before I leave.

Thanks in advance!

I too will be 50 soon (two months & 10 days to be exact :o) and I also use Lancome. I use the 'wet/dry' powder and I've always been pleased with it. It's very 'light' feeling to me. I do a 'wet' apply initially and use the powder to 'set' my foundation. Is this the same Lancome product you use?

Have you tried tinted moisturizer? Most makeup lines carry them. I like Mary Kay tinted moisturizer. I like it because it is good for your skin, feels very light and gives you a natural look. Apply a little blush and you are ready to go.

I too will be 50 soon (two months & 10 days to be exact :o) and I also use Lancome. I use the 'wet/dry' powder and I've always been pleased with it. It's very 'light' feeling to me. I do a 'wet' apply initially and use the powder to 'set' my foundation. Is this the same Lancome product you use?

No, I tried the Tent Idole (sp?). It is liquid and supposed to be medium coverage. I thought about making an appointment and letting them actually do my makeup. I was trying to decide between Lancome, Estee Lauder and MAC. I will look at the wet/dry.Thanks!

Ironcially the foundation I've found that I like the most has turned out to be a cheapo brand. I love the L'Oreal color match, but then again I need a warm base and most of the brands don't make them in that shade. The rest of my makeup is all higher end, urban decay, benefit, smashbox, etc. But my foundation and coverup are cheap drugstore brands.

Have you tried tinted moisturizer? Most makeup lines carry them. I like Mary Kay tinted moisturizer. I like it because it is good for your skin, feels very light and gives you a natural look. Apply a little blush and you are ready to go.

I like MK's tinted moisturizer, and I also recommend their foundations. They have formulas that are customized according to skin type. Looks and feels fresh and natural all day.

I don't use foundation often, probably once or twice a week. I use the Lancome Teint Idole and don't find it heavy at all. Perhaps if you change the way you apply it (not that I know what you're doing now :o).

I use a good quality makeup sponge, not the wedges you get in the drug store, sorry I don't know the brand of mine. I wet the sponge with cold water, press out most of the water and use one squirt of the foundation on my hand. I dot and blend each side of my face. Ater I get the foundation on smoothly I will go back over any areas with my fingers if it appears too heavy. I then wash out the sponge with cold water and soap, squeeze out as much water as I can and allow it to air dry. I use cold water so the sponge doesn't go through the warm temp that can cause bacteria to grow.

If I use my fingers or a dry sponge with this makeup, I get too heavy coverage. The last thing I want is to look like I have cake batter on my face.

Hi,

I am turning 50 too. I use a foundation cream compact from Urban Decay. Use apply it with a Foundation brush (it is worth it to by a high quality one) and buff the product onto your face. The creamy foundation then dries to a powder finish. I absolutely love it. I get it at my local Sephora where they can color match it. I also buy the Urban Decay "setting" spray which is a mist your spray on your face after all your makeup is applied and I swear that my makeup stays fresh for at least 8 hours. Try both...you will not be disappointed.

Ann

I love the Merle Norman Tinted Moisturizer. I never wore anything before trying this. I too and approaching 50 and have dug my heels in and stopping at 46ish.......... I needed something to even my skin tone too much unprotected sun exposure as a younger person. MN provides a lite even finish I don't even know I am wearing it. I apply it with sponge so easy. Good Luck! Call and get a makeover they are free of charge I would never of tried it otherwise.:)

Hi,

I am turning 50 too. I use a foundation cream compact from Urban Decay. Use apply it with a Foundation brush (it is worth it to by a high quality one) and buff the product onto your face. The creamy foundation then dries to a powder finish. I absolutely love it. I get it at my local Sephora where they can color match it. I also buy the Urban Decay "setting" spray which is a mist your spray on your face after all your makeup is applied and I swear that my makeup stays fresh for at least 8 hours. Try both...you will not be disappointed.

Ann

While I'm not unhappy with my current foundation, I'm intrigued! I'll have to see if I can find an outlet for Urban Decay. We don't have a Sephora here.... :)

I recently switched from Estee Lauder to the newest Smashbox 15 hour. I use it with a foundation brush and I really like it. I bought the primer and was not impressed - made my skin look oily. I also bought the Urban Decay setting mist - same thing - didn't seem to work on my skin. My foundation looks great at the end of the day with out using either one of those. As my primer I used my old Estee Lauder standby - Pore Minimizing Skin Refinisher.

I use Clinique Super Balanced foundation. It covers well for me but doesn't "set" into my wrinkles. I'm 51, and not to brag but most people think I am barely 40. I DO have wrinkles, but definitely find that the lighter weight foundations make them less noticeable. When I have worn heavier foundations I swear it makes me look ten years older.

I am 50 in a few months also. A few years ago, my favorite foundtion was discontinued and I struggled to find something I liked, was not overly expensive, and covered my rosacea. I like CoverGirl Natureluxe Foundation. It is light, smells great, covers well, and can be bought in any drug or chain store. Looks like this:

cover-girl-natureluxe-silk-foundation-aspen.jpg

While I'm not unhappy with my current foundation, I'm intrigued! I'll have to see if I can find an outlet for Urban Decay. We don't have a Sephora here.... :)

JCPenney has Sephora's in a lot of them.

Ulta appears to be in Texas, that's where I buy all of my cosmetics from. They have a 30 day return policy on everything, so if you don't like it you just return it and try something else. They sell both the prestige brands and the drugstore ones and the return policy applies to everything they sell.

I use Clinique Super Balanced foundation. It covers well for me but doesn't "set" into my wrinkles. I'm 51, and not to brag but most people think I am barely 40. I DO have wrinkles, but definitely find that the lighter weight foundations make them less noticeable. When I have worn heavier foundations I swear it makes me look ten years older.

That is exactly what I mean. I think the heavier foundation does make me look older.

Thanks to everyone for their great recommendations. Saturday is makeup shopping:D

Have you tried a primer with the BE? My skin has turned really dry and my BE was looking absolutely terrible until I added the primer. Just use it lightly, 1 full pump is a little too much for my face. They have one that controls oil for anybody with that issue but I use the regular.

Ulta appears to be in Texas, that's where I buy all of my cosmetics from. They have a 30 day return policy on everything, so if you don't like it you just return it and try something else. They sell both the prestige brands and the drugstore ones and the return policy applies to everything they sell.

Just a note about Ulta: while you can return anything, if you have used your Ulta Rewards to make a purchase, they won't put the points back in your account. If you spend as much as I do there (:eek:), this information is a little disconcerting. Be sure to use your points for the tried and true stuff and not for experiments with new products.

JCPenney has Sephora's in a lot of them.

We are in the process of getting an Ulta along with a Charming Charlie's. I knew about CC, but wasn't sure what an Ulta was since I've never shopped in one before. Now I can't wait to check it out! THANKS Sherilyn! :)

Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturiser is great - it feels very light and gives a natural appearance, yet manages to even out skin tone. It suits all colour types. Since using it, I have completely stopped wearing the usual foundations, as by comparison they seem so thick and mask-like.

I think the trick is a foundation brush. After trying many primers, I have found Benefit porefessional to be the best for me.

I read all the fashion/fitness magazines and take notes on what they recommend. This is what they usually recommend....Laura Mercier mineral finishing powder, Armani Luminous Silk, and Chanel Perfection Lumiere.

At 60, I am lucky enough to not have wrinkles (because of my thick skin). I like Estee Lauder Resilience Lift Extreme. They have a new one that is supposedly even better---something with "nutriv" in the name. Covergirl/Olay has a new Brightening Foundation which I may try.

Don't think I would go without foundation at 50. You need something to even out your complexion, which will make you look more youthful. Don't forget lipgloss---matte lips are aging, too. And, put a dot of cream blush (over your regular blush) and blend into the apples of your cheeks. Those are under your eyes.

Hello,

Thanks in advance!

Angie

Have used Lancome for years and recently tried Clinique for redness. I like the Lancome better for wearability but the Clinique covers the redness. Try putting a little moisturizer on a sponge wedge then your foundation on top of the moisturizer then apply to your skin. I'm almost 62 and have found lighter is better for me.

Archived