Celebrity - bad company! But "Equinox" - yes, fine liner, no doubt.

SergeiKa

There is no language barrier was not there. I do not know English and do not speak with anyone. At the time of the conflict with the "Celebrity" we said through an interpreter.

I understand that the captain has the right to expel any passenger from the ship. But for my previous 10 cruises with various cruise companies to me no one has ever threatened.

If employees "Сelebrity" do their work so that the client goes to a competitor - it is bad! :mad:

If you do not speak English then that IS a language barrier since the staff on Celebrity ships communicate in English primarily. Having to work through and interpreter also creates a barrier both of which commonly lead to misinterpreting what one party is trying to say or HOW they want it said. It can lead to emotions getting out of hand.

Even though you have cruised before and never been threatened to be disembarked early it does not mean that it can't happen. Circumstances on each ship and each trip are entirely different.

I am sorry you did not have a good time. I sailed on the Equinox recently and encountered no problems like you experienced. You are certainly free to take your business elsewhere but your having an isolated problem does not automatically mean that the company over all is bad.

We do not think folks should "flame" a poster because he is posting in a language (English) that is obviously not his native language. That being said, we think we get the gist of the post and suspect there was some misunderstandings (possibly to to language barriers). The OP may not understand that Celebrity (and all the other mass market cruise lines) take many precautions to protect the health and safety of the passengers. Cabin Stewards are supposed to have access to a cabin at least twice a day and they are trained to be on the lookout for sick passengers. It sounds like the OP would not allow their cabin steward into their cabin...in which case the steward is required to report this fact to their supervisor. At some point a supervisor in the Hotel Department will need to ascertain the problem....i.e. sick passenger. At this point they would normally want the sick passenger to visit the ships medical center or they might want to send one of the ship's nurses to the cabin to assess the situation. If a passenger refused to cooperate with the medical staff they may be put ashore at the next port. We have actually witnessed a sick passenger removed from a cruise because they refused to stay confined to their cabin as required by the medical staff (a suspected Norovirus case).

Hank

Excuses are negligible.

1) My wife and I went on that day for lunch and dinner. That did not allow staff time to penetrate into the cabin twice?

2) If the cruise line has rules, it must inform their customers before paying the cruise. And not once dropped them off the ship.

Is not it? :-)))

Excuses are negligible.

1) My wife and I went on that day for lunch and dinner. That did not allow staff time to penetrate into the cabin twice?

2) If the cruise line has rules, it must inform their customers before paying the cruise. And not once dropped them off the ship.

1.) You said penetrate (laughs like Beavis and Butthead) Ok sorry, I'm done being 12.

2.) All cruise lines have rules and you the consumer agree to these rules when you book the cruise and enter into contract with each cruise line. They send you a document which states all the rules of the given cruise line. They are not just making up rules as they go along just to punish you.

As to other posts I too don't believe the OP is a troll, I think he's just in need of venting over a situation which he found unpleasant.

Sorry that you had a bad time on Celebrity, hopefully you will have a better time on the next cruise line you choose. I had a very good time aboard the Celebrity Equinox in October 2011 and wouldn't hesitate to sail her again, personally. To each his own, however.

:mad:

Just returned from a cruise to Central America on "Celebrity Equinox".

Yes, fine liner, no doubt.

But "Celebrity" - bad company!

The only cruise company that has managed for the first cruise to obtain the stable negative attitude. The more we do not take advantage of its services than ever before.

On the first day of the cruise, I was called at the reception, where the land began to threaten me with the ship. He was accused of insulting the staff. I asked to call the victim or provide any evidence - they could not. Then he accused me of that, I hung a sign "Do Not Disturb" on the door and do not let Stewart. I did not think that is a crime.

Especially was the first day of the cruise (at sea) and the cabin was still clean. Especially because my wife seasick and she slept in the cabin (Stabilizers according to the pitching staff, "including, but not helping"). My question: "Are you going to get out of the cabin, where passengers sleep there?" - There was no answer, but anyway they really wanted to get into the cabin, with the threats.

By the way, on our credit card after the cruise blocked amount is greater than it was in the long run. The reason, of course, are not reported.

Total: If you like slander to your address, scandals and the threat of company personnel and suspicion - welcome to the Celebrity!

What did you like about the ship? I'll be taking it soon and would lke to know.

Excuses are negligible.

The staff and cabin stewards are responsible for other cabins and passengers besides yours. Even though you left for lunch it does not mean the staff was aware and were available to enter the cabin at that specific time. By dinner time the staff to clean the cabin are typically already done for the day. They do get time off even if the cruise is under way. To expect them to come back on the limited schedule as you dictate is not reasonable with all the responsibilities they have.

As someone else said you did get a copy of the rules. It is the same one I got in my cruise documents and what you agree to when you book passage. Perhaps Celebrity is not the line for you but based on the information you have provided. It sounds like the expectations you had were far different than what their line provides. That does not mean the company is bad but that you need to choose a cruise line that is more in line with your expectations.

I just cruised on the Equinox and LOVED everything. I had one small issue and the cabin steward was ALL over it. My luggage had not arrived by 8 pm. I called and he tracked it down and it had been held in the naughty room for no reason. It was in my room within 10 minutes of my inquiry. Other than that: the waiter was perfect, loved my table mates (made permanent friends to cruise with again), enjoyed sleeping by the pool in the solarium, food was fantastic, would cruise on Celebrity and the Equinox again.

Ship modern and beautiful. Better see for yourself! :-)))

Do not like: :mad:

1) When planting select irons and folding knives Swiss

2) Swimming Pools I expected to be larger and deeper.

3) In an indoor swimming pool for children under 18 are not allowed - even freeze on the deck :-)))

4) We do not go to a restaurant about him I can not say. The buffet food a lot, but it is monotonous. The buffet did not give the dishes in the restaurant. Sushi and sashimi are prepared not well.

5) The library did not find any books in Russian. Now there is.

6) Nowhere is it written that you can beach towels to take with you on the beach (after the scandal we were afraid to do it, he suddenly jumped ship :-)))

Everything else is good. Especially: :)

1) Large TV in the cabin, also known as Wi-Fi monitor (keyboard in locker)

2) A wide balcony

3) Few people in the dining room, as everything in the restaurant :-)))

4) A lot of deck chairs, all missing, as in the sun or in shade.

5) Any advertising broadcast only in public places, but not in the cabin.

1) The staff and cabin stewards are responsible for other cabins and passengers besides yours. Even though you left for lunch it does not mean the staff was aware and were available to enter the cabin at that specific time. By dinner time the staff to clean the cabin are typically already done for the day. They do get time off even if the cruise is under way. To expect them to come back on the limited schedule as you dictate is not reasonable with all the responsibilities they have.

2) As someone else said you did get a copy of the rules. It is the same one I got in my cruise documents and what you agree to when you book passage. Perhaps Celebrity is not the line for you but based on the information you have provided. It sounds like the expectations you had were far different than what their line provides. That does not mean the company is bad but that you need to choose a cruise line that is more in line with your expectations.

1) Not once in any cruise line do not remember that Stewart wanted to enter the cabin when we got into it. Did not, so far we do not - waiting for the next time.

2) I asked the opponents to show where it's written on my ticket or on their website - they could not. They said that the rules of the internal and all American kompany. While I was at last year's Carnival - anything like that.

Edited by SergeiKa

Do not like: :mad:

2) Swimming Pools I expected to be larger and deeper.

3) In an indoor swimming pool for children under 18 are not allowed - even freeze on the deck :-)))

4) We do not go to a restaurant about him I can not say. The buffet food a lot, but it is monotonous. The buffet did not give the dishes in the restaurant. Sushi and sashimi are prepared not well.

Have to agree with some of his points. Though for number 2 - you can't expect the pool to be too deep because well - it's on a cruise ship! How deep can they make it before it runs into another deck? :-)

I understand the need/want for an indoor pool for all ages - however it was my understanding that during inclement weather the solarium pool was able to be used by kids.

The food in the Oceanview does tend to be repetative - but in the same way - you can at least then know there's something there for you.

The ship is beautiful inside. I had a 1A cabin and enjoyed the deep verandah (though wish it had foot rests like the higher class cabins). Cabins in themselves are small - but well, you get what you pay for, and I paid for a lower class of cabin because I knew I'd not be spending hours in there as I wanted to be exploring all there was to do, and I was NEVER bored!

The ship is beautiful inside. I had a 1A cabin and enjoyed the deep verandah (though wish it had foot rests like the higher class cabins). Cabins in themselves are small - but well, you get what you pay for, and I paid for a lower class of cabin because I knew I'd not be spending hours in there as I wanted to be exploring all there was to do, and I was NEVER bored!

We pay for flights from Moscow to Miami, hotels before and after the cruise and a U.S. visa. Therefore, the cost of cabins is not important. It is much less.

We pay for flights from Moscow to Miami, hotels before and after the cruise and a U.S. visa. Therefore, the cost of cabins is not important. It is much less.

I pay for flights from the US to Europe, hotels before and after as well, but the cost of anything is always a consideration. I have never cruised in the US.

I think that some people are being very rude to a poster who is obviously not comfortable in English. I would love to see some of you try to write on a Russian forum! One of the rules of Cruise Critic is that we do not insult or question another poster's use of language--and believe me, I have seen MANY horrid examples of butchering from native English speakers! The OP obviously had an issue and is unhappy about it. It may have been the result of poor communication. It is obvious what occurred from the initial post. Shame on those who are criticizing his attempt to explain his frustrations. I thought we were better as a 'community' than this. :mad:

I think that some people are being very rude to a poster who is obviously not comfortable in English. I would love to see some of you try to write on a Russian forum! One of the rules of Cruise Critic is that we do not insult or question another poster's use of language--and believe me, I have seen MANY horrid examples of butchering from native English speakers! The OP obviously had an issue and is unhappy about it. It may have been the result of poor communication. It is obvious what occurred from the initial post. Shame on those who are criticizing his attempt to explain his frustrations. I thought we were better as a 'community' than this. :mad:

Well said!

I agree LOL

when does the Equinox doe South America? it does an 11 night Caribbean / semi trans canal ?

The OP's crusie was in "Central America" clearly "Caribbean/semi trans canal". [Are abbreviations appropriate when the OP's first language is not English?]

Sue

Edited by Project_gal

Thank you.

I remember the time as a newbie that I was horribly flamed over what I had (naively, as it turns out) thought was rather good advice to someone asking about the formal dress code. Actually, by the time I had returned to the thread, it had been removed, so it must've been pretty mean spirited, as additionally, another poster alluded in another "dress code" thread to the wording I had used and chastised the petty bullying that had occurred in response to my innocent post. I'm certainly happy that I don't know who those posters were, and never got to read what they said.

I might add that when you don't have English (or any other language) as a native language (as me for example) -don't ever use Google as a translator!!! it'a absolutely worthless and will turn your efforts to express your self to a total disaster. :eek:

Have tried it but didn't understand myself what Google meant...

i might add that when you don't have english (or any other language) as a native language (as me for example) -don't ever use google as a translator!!! It'a absolutely worthless and will turn your efforts to express your self to a total disaster. :eek:

Have tried it but didn't understand myself what google meant...

谷歌翻譯是壞

In traditional Chinese that means "Google Translate is Bad"

But problem is - for those of you who read Chinese, the grammar is obviously incorrect. It is a literal translation of its English counterpart. People will still get (sort of) what you mean, but the broken grammar structure will still confuse some people ...

In short - Google translate isn't reliable! :D

I have a simple policy - if a person joins CruiseCritic and immediately posts a first message that is full of criticism, accusations, drama and hysterics, I simply ignore the complaints. If they are valid, then too bad. A person who wants my sympathy and assistance has to be calm, rational and believable. Otherwise, I don't care. I have no desire to facilitate their anger.

In this case, the language has nothing to do with my position. It's the purpose and tone that I object to.

Edited by fortinweb
  • Like 1

We were likely on the same Equinox cruise as the OP, from January 2-13. The cruise had a larger number of passengers from Russia and the Ukraine, and we went to Cozumel, Honduras, Costa Rica, Colon, Cartagena, and Grand Cayman.

We are experienced cruises at over 30 cruises and this was our 23rd cruise with Celebrity but first time on the Equinox and a Solstice-class ship. Obviously we are Celebrity fans. The Equinox is absolutely lovely. The food was excellent and typical of our other cruises. The service was excellent, especially in the dining room.

But like the OP, we also had a similar problem with our cabin attendants. We did not have the same cabin attendants as we were a different deck. On morning 2 (day after boarding), I notified the cabin attendant of our typical morning & evening schedule which is typically leaving the cabin around 6am until 11am except for quick cleanup & change after fitness center, back from 11am-noon, and then again out at noon. Dinner would be early and we would be back in our cabin for the night between 8-9pm.

Each day our cabin was not made up when we returned by 11am and often they insisted on coming in when we had returned from 11am to noon. We would remind them again of our schedule - gone from 6am to 11am, gone at noon, and back in cabin from 8-9pm. They apparently do not document passenger schedules as one day at 11am, he said (after multiple daily reminders), "we couldn't clean your room because you were in there all morning. We need to clean your room." Again a reminder, "no" we were gone since 6am this morning. At night the same thing would happen. Cabin was not made up by 9pm and they wanted into the cabin at that time. Again the reminders.

We were the customers and politely but directly told them no, they were not getting in the cabin when we were in there for less than an hour that morning, and given our schedule there were plenty of opportunities to clean the cabin. The OP might have had a bit of a communication problem with the cabin attendants, but we spoke English to them and our problems also continued. The assistent cabin attendent also barged into the cabin sometimes without knocking during that 11am timeframe (or we didn't hear the knocking as we were taking showers or on veranda).

I wouldn't normally complain about something like this on these boards and it wasn't worth a call to the Chief Housekeeper or to Guest Relations. I only bring this up just to lend crediability to the OP's story, based on the experience of experienced Celebrity cruisers fluent in English, that our cabin attendants were also very insistent, borderline rude (not threatening though) about getting into the cabin at inappropriate times. Past cabin attendants seemed to memorize or document our typical schedules, but it did not happen on this cruise.They got their tips but no extras and only earned "Good" ("Fair" more realistic; I was benevolent with the "Good") on the Guest Questionnaire versus the "Excellent" that all other categories received. It was a complaint with which we could deal directly with the attendants and accept as a minor annoyance.

The cabin attenants were our only real complaint - minor complaint that it is - on our wonderful Equinox cruise.

Kathy

Kathy,

I'm sorry, but I would have definitely notified Housekeeping. We don't have as many cruises as you do, but we are elite. We leave our cabin early and most times it is cleaned by the time we are back from breakfast. We also let our steward know our schedule as much as possible.

Lucy

Lucy,

You're right I should have notified Housekeeping or at least written a comment on the Guest Questionnaire which is what I really intended to do. But you know how it goes. We're having a wonderful time and a person just lets some complaints go. To us it was just a minor annoyance. We told the attendants "no" and they weren't happy, but so be it. They had the cabin available for 5 hours in the morning before we needed it to cleanup before lunch.

Yeah, I think it is wise to notify the attendants of the typical schedule. Cuts out some ground work for them to learn or "guess" our schedules and sets some expectations. Well, most of the time that system works for us, just not this time.

On our Jewel of the Seas cruise in September, Royal Caribbean had cards to stick in the key slot saying "Do not disturb" or "Please makeup cabin." I like that and wished Celebrity used the same system. The cards are better than just those "Do not disturb" doorknob tags that can drop/fly off the doorknob and also the cards deliver the hint that the cabin needs to be cleaned. I meant to write this card suggestion on the Celebrity Guest Questionnaire.

Kathy

Edited by TourDeCruise
Notifying attendant of schedule

:mad:

Just returned from a cruise to Central America on "Celebrity Equinox".

Yes, fine liner, no doubt.

But "Celebrity" - bad company!

The only cruise company that has managed for the first cruise to obtain the stable negative attitude. The more we do not take advantage of its services than ever before.

On the first day of the cruise, I was called at the reception, where the land began to threaten me with the ship. He was accused of insulting the staff. I asked to call the victim or provide any evidence - they could not. Then he accused me of that, I hung a sign "Do Not Disturb" on the door and do not let Stewart. I did not think that is a crime.

Especially was the first day of the cruise (at sea) and the cabin was still clean. Especially because my wife seasick and she slept in the cabin (Stabilizers according to the pitching staff, "including, but not helping"). My question: "Are you going to get out of the cabin, where passengers sleep there?" - There was no answer, but anyway they really wanted to get into the cabin, with the threats.

By the way, on our credit card after the cruise blocked amount is greater than it was in the long run. The reason, of course, are not reported.

Total: If you like slander to your address, scandals and the threat of company personnel and suspicion - welcome to the Celebrity!

Sorry you had a bad time. That much is clear. I unfortunately could not understand too much of what you said. Did you get tossed from the ship?