Ok I Have to ask, bed bugs.

Rainbowfalls

I hate asking this question, I get it all the time since I work at a hotel and live in one of the worst locations for bed bugs, but has anyone experience bb's or bed bugs on the cruise ships?

Do you do a bed bug check before settling in?

I have never seen any, but this is the Carnival policy

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/blogs/faqs/archive/2010/09/01/do-you-have-a-detection-and-treatment-plan-for-bedbugs.aspx

DETECTION AND TREATMENT OF BEDBUGS

Bedbugs are small parasitic insects that are typically brought aboard cruise ships in guests’ luggage. Carnival Cruise Lines has extensive procedures and protocols for the detection and treatment of bedbugs. All stateroom stewards are trained to recognize the possible presence of bedbugs and are required to conduct weekly inspections of every cabin. Inspections cover not only stateroom beds but also curtains, carpeting and other areas.

If signs of infestation are present, the room is chemically treated along with all other cabins within that section. Frequent re-inspection continues for the next several months. When ships are taken out of service for their routine maintenance period, all staterooms receive an extensive pest control treatment at that time, as well.

I have never seen any, but this is the Carnival policy

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/blogs/faqs/archive/2010/09/01/do-you-have-a-detection-and-treatment-plan-for-bedbugs.aspx

DETECTION AND TREATMENT OF BEDBUGS

Bedbugs are small parasitic insects that are typically brought aboard cruise ships in guests’ luggage. Carnival Cruise Lines has extensive procedures and protocols for the detection and treatment of bedbugs. All stateroom stewards are trained to recognize the possible presence of bedbugs and are required to conduct weekly inspections of every cabin. Inspections cover not only stateroom beds but also curtains, carpeting and other areas.

If signs of infestation are present, the room is chemically treated along with all other cabins within that section. Frequent re-inspection continues for the next several months. When ships are taken out of service for their routine maintenance period, all staterooms receive an extensive pest control treatment at that time, as well.

Thank you lol, it's my greatest fear to get infested with them.

I have never seen any evidence of bed bugs on any of my cruises.

I understand that there was a report of a single incident on the Magic back in November. Given that it was one report from one cabin I'd expect that if there were bed bugs the guest brought them aboard. Had they been there previously you'd expect that they would have spread to other cabins... other areas of the ship.

:)

I have never seen any evidence of bed bugs on any of my cruises.

I understand that there was a report of a single incident on the Magic back in November. Given that it was one report from one cabin I'd expect that if there were bed bugs the guest brought them aboard. Had they been there previously you'd expect that they would have spread to other cabins... other areas of the ship.

:)

Thank you :) I thought I would ask here instead of calling carnival directly since most places will not tell you the truth, or find ways around out right saying if they have had them in the past or not. Which if a cruiseline or anything for that matter has had them that's fine, long as I know they took care of the problem and have implemented ways to make sure it doesn't happen again lol.

Im paranoid too...Believe me whether it is a hotel room or a cruise ship, I check those beds, and practically take those beds apart ( easier on the cruise ship...mattresses are lighter ) But for sure I check, and double check. I have never found any evidence in either hotels or my cruiseship staterooms.:)

lol, thank you all, I am glad I am not alone on being paranoid about them.

Everyone laughs at me cause it's the first thing I do when I stay anywhere is my bb check. My bf believes that it's a waste of time and kinda rolls his eyes when I am flipping up matresses and checking picture frames and corners of the bedroom but i just remind him would he rather I do this or him pay for having our apartment treated for them. XD

I hate asking this question, I get it all the time since I work at a hotel and live in one of the worst locations for bed bugs, but has anyone experience bb's or bed bugs on the cruise ships?

Never! Have a look at my history - I have sailed Carnival quite a bit and never a problem with bed bugs.

Mosquitos at sun set on the beach in Aruba - OMG!!

OMG ! I am so paranoid about bed bugs !! I thought I had them in my house a few months ago, freaked out, tore the house apart, had a bed bug detection dog come in, never found a single thing so I am always worried about getting them for real.

http://bedbugger.com/2006/10/19/faq-how-can-i-avoid-bedbugs-while-traveling/

Here are some travel tips, what to look for, where to look, how to avoid bringing them home.

You bet that I will be searching the pre-cruise & post cruise hotels as well as our cabins !!

Obviously, any bugs found would have hitchhiked in from previous guests. You can't blame a hotel or cruise line for getting them. However, it's how they respond to a complaint and subsequent treatment that's important. Hopefully, the stewards really are trained and do carefully check between sailings. The more people doing preventative checks, the quicker anything will be caught and treated, and hopefully not spread and taken home by the guests...

Can anyone tell me what to look for? Thanks.

check for well the bugs themselves, they are small oval in shape they remind me of seeds. lol. you would lift the sheets and check the flap/seam of the matress and boxsprings, check tables and chairs too as well as picture frames and the corners of the room.

also look for red/brownish fecal stains left from them as well as blood stains and the castings of the bug.

I put my luggage in the bathroom and do my checks before taking anything out. Also after my first night I will wake up and recheck since they move towards sources of heat.

If you are staying at a place that has bb's do the t formation meaning do not stay in any room directly above and directly below and the two rooms next to and across from. Since they will move in those locations to find sources of food.

Which always makes me look at my neighbors kinda nervously specially where I live cause we have a high turnover rate here lol. I am alway worried about what people would move with ( roaches, bbs, etc...)

I have worked in a place with bedbugs--it was a bear to treat and required constant vigilance to prevent a reinfestation. When I travel we dont put our luggage on the bed or carpet when we return and all our stuff goes in the dryer for 45 min to an hour prior to being reintegrated with the rest of our stuff. It is not a big deal to take simple precautions but it is a big deal to get rid of them once you have them. :eek:

• 4 weeks later...

I as well work for a hotel. My boss even checks when she travels. nothing wrong with checking for traces to see if there could be any. I haven't experienced any on the ship, some have. as we all know, it's a traveling bug, comes from travelers not how clean or not clean a place is.

so for your own piece of mine, then check. overall, have a great cruise!

We were on the Oosterdam for a new years cruise to Mexico. I got about 8 very itchy big bites around my elbow, and my wife got two on her neck. I checked the mattress, nothing but did not check the rest of the cabin. We were in the jungle in PV for a day, but the itch started that morning before we left the ship. I don't ever get mosquito welts, so it wasn't that. Just to be safe, when we got home we took all of our bags/luggage into the garage and washed/dryed everything washable. Left everything else even shaving kit and shoes in bags in the garage for a week. Los Angeles, Las Vegas and now San Diego are being hit with infestations. One of my workers had a horrible infestation in her condo. So far we have seen none in our house.

Jim/San Diego

Never! Have a look at my history - I have sailed Carnival quite a bit and never a problem with bed bugs.

Mosquitos at sun set on the beach in Aruba - OMG!!

The "noseeums" in Roatan are worse. Even with bug spray or "Cactus Juice" you leave there looking like you have the chicken pox.

My daughter is in college. Her room-mare brought them into the college dorm room, from a friend's place. She mentioned them to my daughter, and then left for Xmas break. It was up to my daughter to get rid of them.

The college was good, and supplied this big duffle-bag things, with a heater inside. Anything my daughter was bringing home had to go in there, and get cooked for 4-6 hours. This did not work with ipod, electronics, and guitar. Once Xmas break started, they heated the entire room to high temps.

I still brought heavy duty garbage bags, and sealed things up with duct tape, and left everything in the garage till it was needed. Then very close inspection of everything before coming into the house.

After break, my daughter never saw another bed-bug, and they never got to my house. The bed-bugs were on room-mates side of room, and my daughter never saw them on her side.

I was so relieved they never became "my problem".

Archived