DIY Pompeii and amalfi coast.

i guide the sky

I'm having trouble doing a shared tour/driver and van with others on the roll calls because my group is an odd size, 3 and I waited a bit to start to plan this and now it would appear my group is on its own. Does anyone know a cost effective way of doing Pompeii and the coast by our selves?

I'm having trouble doing a shared tour/driver and van with others on the roll calls because my group is an odd size, 3 and I waited a bit to start to plan this and now it would appear my group is on its own. Does anyone know a cost effective way of doing Pompeii and the coast by our selves?

Well, your idea of trying to put together a group tour is one way. Another way would be to simply rent a car and drive yourselves (you can usually rent a car for about $100 if you can drive a manual transmission). The only other way is to use public transit but this is time consuming. You can easily get to Pompeii by taking the train (and there is also a bus) from Naples to the Pompeii Scavi stop. You can then use this same train line to later continue on to Sorrento where you can then transfer to the regional SITA bus that runs along the Amalfi Coast (with stops at both Positano and Amalfi). But the SITA buses can get very crowded in the busy season. With some planning it might even be possible to coordinate this trip with a hydrofoil between Sorrento and Naples. Using the public transit option in a port day does require some planning and careful time managment.

Hank

I would find a driver who would take you first to Pompeii and then maybe to Positano..that would be a good day..so much to see in Pompeii and Positano is so beautiful that you would have a good mix here. 3 is reasonable for a driver..we did 3 a few years back and although I don't remember the cost I do remember that it wasn't terrible..or I would have remembered!

I have found drivers online with great success..ask others for good ones, and check out Trip Advisor as well.

Sherry

• 1 month later...

Odd size for a private tour is usually no problem. If you have three in your group ask for five people on your roll call to join you. If you wind up with only seven people, divide the cost by seven.

We did a private tour a few years ago with Italy Limousine. On my upcoming cruise in November, I am having the same issue. Our roll call is really quiet right now and I am having difficulty getting a group together for tours. There is one other couple willing to join us but even with 4 people, the cost is steep.

I did read good reviews about AP Tours. They offer something called a Shared Shore Excursion where they work to find others willing to take the tour with you. Their group ranges from 6 to 19 pax. The rates are much better if you have a small group. I was looking at Pompeii, Positano and Sorrento from Naples and it was 80 euros a piece.

I did read good reviews about AP Tours. They offer something called a Shared Shore Excursion where they work to find others willing to take the tour with you. Their group ranges from 6 to 19 pax. The rates are much better if you have a small group. I was looking at Pompeii, Positano and Sorrento from Naples and it was 80 euros a piece.

We looked into this. The problem is that if you don't get the required minimum to sign up, either the tour is cancelled, or they will switch you over to a private tour at much higher rates. Strangely, they also require a credit card reservation for these shared tours but not for the private tours.

• 2 weeks later...
We used a company called Crusing Excursions and they were fab, done Pampeii with guided tour, sorento and amalfi coast, all for around £70 each, worth every penny.

This sounds like a wonderful iteniry! With the ship being in port 7 am to 7 pm; is that enough time on a busy summer day? Worried we may not be able to make it back to the ship on time. :eek:

We are looking for a tour, May 8th in Naples too. I looked at Cruising Excursions (thank you for posting!) :)

4553 - Smart Price Tour - Pompeii, Sorrento & Positano

49 euros each? :confused: That price seems very low compared to other tours I've searched. Am I missing something?

Sorry... DH pointed out the 49 price each is for 9 people... Back to searching...LOL.

Hi

I just looked at the same tour and although it seems like they'll take 9 people, the total price for 2 says 108 Euro. So, I have the same question - could this be a good tour, for that price? Any experiences?

We looked into this. The problem is that if you don't get the required minimum to sign up, either the tour is cancelled, or they will switch you over to a private tour at much higher rates. Strangely, they also require a credit card reservation for these shared tours but not for the private tours.

I just contacted them about their "Elite shared shore excursion" and they no longer require a Credit card reservation.

Archived