How good is the Nha Trang market?

GrandmaHofmann

We have a guide who is taking us to the main sites in Nha Trang. I am wondering if people have found the market worth a trip, what I can buy there, what I should buy there, and if there are other shopping areas that are better. Thank you for any advice you can offer.

From memory the Nha Trang markets are local markets and sell the usual household and clothing items. My husband enjoyed wandering through them but I didn't find much to tempt me. We did see a silk painting embrioidery place which was very interesting and they had a cultural show. when I walked along the beach everyone wanted to sell me postcards, but there is a limit so I just smiled and said no thank you. Have fun. Vietnam is very interesting. I think we did go up to a large Buddha when we were in Nha Trang as well and Fairy Island. :)

So I guess it is Saigon's market that will be the most useful in terms of souvenirs. Thank you for your response.

You will be spoiled for souvenirs in the Ben Thang Markets in Ho Chi Minh City but remember to bargain. They are very persistent and as I walked through the clothes section, I had hands reaching out to me even though I wasn't interested. Just keep smiling and saying no ,thank you. I got some silk embroidery painting for a reasonable price and my husband found some tshirts. It really depends on what you are looking for. Go early in the morning before it becomes too crowded.:)

You will be spoiled for souvenirs in the Ben Thang Markets in Ho Chi Minh City but remember to bargain. They are very persistent and as I walked through the clothes section, I had hands reaching out to me even though I wasn't interested. Just keep smiling and saying no ,thank you. I got some silk embroidery painting for a reasonable price and my husband found some tshirts. It really depends on what you are looking for. Go early in the morning before it becomes too crowded.:)

I do remember how persistant they were, and grabbing our sleeves to pull us back to their booth at the Ben Thang market. Only good shopping we found in Nha Trang was at the port area where we waited for the shuttle boats back to the ship. Barter everything at 1/2 first. We found a lot of neat woodwork mirrors, boxes all handmade, silk robes. T-shirts run pretty small in that part of the world so beware, and size up.

• 1 month later...

We just returned from a cruise on Oceania Nautica and spent a day in Nha Trang with a great private tour run by www.nhatrangrivertour.com. I don't think the market is really all that worthwhile but I was amazed at the embroidery factory.

We stopped at at least 12 sites, had a riverside lunch - and took a boat ride. I was a fun day.

I agree with Joel. The market is not worthwhile unless you are itching to buy cheaply made t shirts, fake watches or the usual crappy trinkets, then relishign the idea of negotiating down absurd prices by a buck or two for such questionable quality.

Spend time elsewhere - many more places of greater interest to explore in Nha Trang than the tourist market.

• 5 weeks later...

I did not enjoy the market. The sellers were very pushy, often shoving their wares in your face. It was interesting to walk through, but not my cup of tea. We were able to get 3 lacquer boxes for $9, so cheap souveniers can be haggled for.

We were in Nha Trang last month with the Diamond Princess. Went to the market for a bit and looked round - not bad but HCM is better. Spent the afternoon at a mud bath spa which was wonderful, wish we had more time there. It's called Thap Ba http://in2vietnam.com/NhaTrangThapBaHotSpringMudbath.aspx

Inexpensive, and really refreshing and worth a try. It's a taxi ride there from the where the tender/shuttle drops you, inexpensive metered taxi will take you there.

• 2 months later...

Chợ Đầm is the most popular market in Nha Trang city, you can ask anyone in nhatrang where it locates. a lot of things you can find in that market such as silk, clothes, sourvenir, jewelry.v.v..

but one thing u should remember, you must bargain, clerks always offer high price ( maybe doubled-price)

another market that i like most is Sea Food market. It's in sea, a lot of seafood u can see here and of course it's cheap.

if you want more information, just message me ^^

sorry for my poor english, it's not my native language

We have a guide who is taking us to the main sites in Nha Trang. I am wondering if people have found the market worth a trip, what I can buy there, what I should buy there, and if there are other shopping areas that are better. Thank you for any advice you can offer.

I'm going to go against the grain here, and say that I found the Nha Trang markets to be one of the best. Ok, I'll admit that their souveneirs weren't as good as other places, but I found the fresh food area of the Cho Dam Market to be absolutely fantastic.

The people were friendly (at one stage my wife and I were watching a lady sort out....well I'm not sure what it was...so the lady cuts one open and hands it to us to try), they're happy for you to take photos (some markets where there is high piracy, such as KL's China Town, etc, we had problems taking photos of ourselves even because stall holders got funny), and the range of what they had there was amazing.

• 3 months later...
I'm going to go against the grain here, and say that I found the Nha Trang markets to be one of the best. Ok, I'll admit that their souveneirs weren't as good as other places, but I found the fresh food area of the Cho Dam Market to be absolutely fantastic.

The people were friendly (at one stage my wife and I were watching a lady sort out....well I'm not sure what it was...so the lady cuts one open and hands it to us to try), they're happy for you to take photos (some markets where there is high piracy, such as KL's China Town, etc, we had problems taking photos of ourselves even because stall holders got funny), and the range of what they had there was amazing.

I just went to HCM and Ben Than market in June on another cruise and although it was really nice, I am not keen on facing the 2 hour ride just to shop there. I've already seen the rest of the usual tourist bits in HCM as well, so I was hoping to do my shopping in Cho Dam market. Could anyone tell me if

Iwe can get nice embroidered "Ao Dai" (The Vietnamese traditional long dress and trouser suit) and Western style evening clothes in Cho Dam?

I got a beautifully sequinned velvet evening dress in Ben Than market in June for US$19!! (did not bother even to bargain! See explanation below) and I'm hoping for similar items in Nha Trang.

A little off-topic here but if going to Ben Than market in HCM and you hate bargaining,here's a tip from my tour guide there. Just buy everything from the government run section which is on the front left side of the building (nearest the famous Pho2000 noodle shop). The prices are fixed and so ridiculously low there is just no need to bargain.

• 3 years later...

Hi,

We are in port from 9-4. I was wondering if it is possible to take a pvt. speed boat to Mun, snorkel (45min boat ride to and from) and then do a pvt mini tour of the city.

Has anyone snorkeled in Mun island?

Do you have any suggestions for a tour company for four people?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.