Couple of questions about Monarch of the Seas

thegreens

Does anyone know the last time it was in dry dock?

I get sea sick. I had *slight* sea sickness on FOS a couple of years ago, but I'm more concerned about Monarch since it's an older ship and doesn't have the same technology to make the boat feel stable. (Or so I've been told). Has anyone felt more sea sickness on Monarch then they have on the newer ships?

Does anyone know the last time it was in dry dock?

I get sea sick. I had *slight* sea sickness on FOS a couple of years ago, but I'm more concerned about Monarch since it's an older ship and doesn't have the same technology to make the boat feel stable. (Or so I've been told). Has anyone felt more sea sickness on Monarch then they have on the newer ships?

It went through a short dry dock last year and got the pool area and some other public areas carpet replaced. Maybe some touchup paint in places and some mechanical things fixed

Sea sickness is going to stongly depend on how "rough" the seas are but Im pretty sure Monarch has stabilizers just like Freedom does?

WHen I sailed on Monarch the seas were like glass. You couldnt even tell you were on a ship really. In rough seas it doesnt matter what ship you are on.

Consider taking Bonine :)

I went on Monarch in October and had a great time. In August, we went to Alaska on the Radiance and also had an amazing time. They were two very different ships but I had no problem with seasickness on either.

I have always suffered from seasickness, even when floating on a raft. I took the advice of others on Cruise Critic which worked for me. I take Bonine (generic is Meclizine) each night, starting the night prior to the cruise. If the seas are rough, also take it in the morning. Prevention is the key. It is much easier to prevent seasickness than get over it once its already hit. I buy a bottle of 100 of Meclizine at Walmart for $6-7, compared to Bonine brand of 8 tablets for $6.

Hope this helps. It made a world of difference for me. I am now a cruise addict.

She was dry docked last May, but they didn't do much to her cosmetically.

Take your seasick pills if you are prone to seasickness, it was really bad last month. The captain said in an announcement that the swells can be bad between Port Canaveral and the Bahamas in the windy season, and they were. In 14 cruises, we had never felt anything like it and it continued the whole 4 nights. The first night, we were at the nightly diamond event in the Viking Crown, and our wine glasses would gently slide along the glass table every few minutes.

You should be fine, I'm just giving you a heads up. We never did know if it was because the ship was small or the seas were bad, or if it was a mix of the two.

There's still no way to know, you could have perfectly calm winds and smooth seas!

I've always used the patches (although I really don't know if I'd even be prone to seasickness or not). But this upcoming cruise, I'm thinking of switching to bonine. Can you drink alcohol while taking bonine???

The smaller the ship, the more you can feel the motion....but unless it's really rough, it's not a bad ride at all....even Allure and Oasis will bounce about if it's rough! Compared to the size and power of the ocean, even the largest ship is but a "cork" floating on the sea!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived