What Can An 18 Year Old Do On A Cruise?

Elaine515

OP, another idea to maybe change her mind...You could tell her, if she wants to stay home, that's fine. But then she is responsible to pay you back the money you will lose by her not coming along. She may then begin to see the good points of the cruise!:)

I think kids are too entitled. What happened to enjoying a cruise for the cruise. The food, the ship, the shows and at the same time visiting tropical ports of call. That isn't enough?

My son paid for his own ticket with money he earned. How is that being too entitled? Please explain.

We were on the Glory this past July with my 2 sons (16 and 18) and my niece who was also 18. They let both of my sons and my niece into the teen club. It was not a problem at all.

They did say that the 18 year olds did have a 1 strike rule. And the person we spoke to when we signed them up in the teen club did say she had a list of every person under 21 on the ship and sure enough our kids were on the list.

We are sailing on the Valor this June and my sons will be 16 and 19. I plan on having them at least go to the meet and greet at the teen club. We made the mistake last time of not going to the meet and greet, so they didn't really connect with the other teens.

Do you really think a young Adult of 18 is a child?

We all believe people younger than us are immature but at 18 years old a person is an Adult in their own right.

I am 51 years old and if would have had the opportunity to cruise at 18 without friends of the same age and be treated as a child I would rather have stayed home too.

Den (Australia)

Yes, if that 18 year old adult in their own right is paying their own way!

My son paid for his own ticket with money he earned. How is that being too entitled? Please explain.

That's not being entitled. Entitled are the 18 to 20 year olds that whine there's nothing to do on a cruise, when the only thing that age group can't do is drink on the ship. I will never understand why people say this group is the "lost group" and that the cruise line should do more for them.

Our oldest was 18 when we last took a cruise. He met others around his age near the ice cream and pizza. The first night they were a group of 3 and by then end of the cruise they were a pack of about 8 and it was an off-season sailing without a lot of kids on board. They had a great time playing card games, hanging out on the lido deck, organizing thier own activities. He is pretty out-going, but there were quiet ones in the group too. The gregarious ones seemed to draw the quieter ones in.

A cruise is what you make of it...at any age.

Its quite sad for that age group in USA,come down under to Australia or Europe for a cruise where the legal drinking age is 18.

18 year olds should not be treated like children in my opinion but that is only because i was allowed to nightclub and drink when i was 18:)

Not sure why the legal age in US is so much higher than elsewhere?

I do know that the US Navy under 21,s used to have a ball when visiting Australia and they never caused a problem by being allowed to drink and go clubbing in Adult venues.

Den

the legal drinking age was 18 back in the 80's. apparently "they" ruined it for everyone else. lol

now if they would just make the voting age a little higher lol.:rolleyes:

When I was 18 if my parents took me on a cruise I would be over the moon. I would be bowing down and calling them blessed. Who cares if I had to hang with them. When I was growing up we were lucky if we got to go camping for a weekend.

yes, teens are entitled when they don't want to go on a cruise because their friends aren't going or want to be out at all hours and drinking.

Now, if the teen is paying for the cruise themselves this is a moot point but how many 18 year olds are going to pay for their own cruise? Very, very few.

• 2 years later...

My 17 year old daughter is on her way home from a cruise right now with her grandparents. She met and hung around with 15 other girls on the cruise the entire time. She meets a group of teens every summer when she cruises with the grandparents. Her daughter should have no trouble meeting a group to hang with. Good luck.

The only crying I've ever seen on a cruise ship is numerous examples of kids about that age crying on the last day of the cruise and exchanging emails because they will miss their new friends. What's the problem?

I don't really get what the issue is - I'm 37 and cruised with a minor - she had her "club" but it's not like there was a club for those age "30-40" that I could attend. The fun times are full of events she can go to and stuff she can do.

There are "30-40 clubs". They're called Red Frog Rum Bar and Blue Iguana Tequila Bar (or their generic equivalents on non-2.0 ships). Older adults have the life experience needed for meeting people while "just sitting" at the bar. A simple "what are you doing in the next port?" is all that's needed to go from stranger to pleasant acquaintance on a cruise. For the 18-to-20 group, it's more difficult, as they still have vestiges of their teenage self-consciousness. The more outgoing young adults can meet people as easily as people twice their age, but that's not true for all of them. If shy people are left out in the dust on their first cruise, especially if their paid their own way, chances are, they will never return, and Carnival will lose a lifetime customer.

What many people don't realize the origin of the 21 drinking age was not about safety, at least not explicitly. It was about the states' highway funds! The 21st Amendment repealed the Prohibition, and dictated that states, not the feds, could set alcohol laws. While the states had full power to make the laws on paper, nothing was said about the feds not being able to manipulate all the states into passing nationwide laws.

So the US Congress essentially extorted individual states into raising their drinking age from 18 to the arbitrary 21, by threatening to cut their highway funding by 10%. So of course all states complied; they didn't want to lose the money. That's why underage drinking is a state crime, not a federal crime. The law was passed in year 1984 by Pres. Reagan, who thought it was doubleplusgood (look at the year). To this day, the US has the highest drinking age in the world.

Before that year, if cruising were like today, the 18-to-20 demographic would not be a lost group. They would have full access to all adult facilities, not to mention provide extra bar revenue (with whatever they could afford).

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

I'm lost here. She was on 17 cruises???? My guess is that she should already know how to mingle, and find other cruiesers here age without an issue.

Kid's have the "kid's" club. They meet friends, and than hang out around the ship.

Adults have the "adult" clubs. They meet friends, and than hang out around the ship.

They both sound the same???? Each one is age appropriate.

I just never understand this question each time it is brought up. I have two kids, both boys, and one is 19. He goes out to "dance clubs" in town now, but he can't drink at them. My younger can't go.

The key here is that you son probably knows someone at the dance club. (it is your town) On a cruise, he will not know anyone. I too wish they had something for that age group....and for me it doesn't have to be about being able to drink. I hope my kids can do things other than drink.

On the Dream they had a singles 21 meet and greet every night so they have something for that age group already. It is that 18-21 age group they are lacking in. The key for us after our first cruise, has always been that we cruise with others so they do have someone to hang with.

I have an 18 year old and we just had a cruise on the Freedom. She was kind of stuck in the middle. It is an awkward age. Not a kid. Not an adult. One day they want to swing and the next day they are opening checking accounts.

But two things...

1) they scheduled a meet-n-greet for 18-20 year olds

2) John Heald said in one post....strict on age in clubs and in a another post ...that they have some leeway. I would try to get her into the carnival group.

There is a BIG difference between 18 and 20; I did not want my girl to go to that meet and greet. Would rather her try to get into Club O2. Girl vs. boy, I don't know if that makes a difference.

Good luck, I understand.

Many of the ships will in fact allow an 18 year old still in high school into the O2 club with their hs id. I am hoping that the Magic will since I have 3 18 year olds I am bringing with me. And my son loves the club so I will fall on my knees and beg if need be.

did they let your son in? Just curious as we are going on Breeze next year in same situation :)

It's so much easier for boys. Play basketball, eat, wander around, eat, play basketball, eat and then try to pick up girls...

The adult comedy and disco, karaoke, carnival jam live (or whatever its called, it's like karaoke but with a live band instead of just soundtracks), piano bar, deck parties, theatre shows. Honestly I'm not a big partier and don't stay up drinking yet I always have a good time and I'm never bored on a cruise :)

As we say in the south, it's time for a come to Jesus meeting. You are bringing your child on a cruise. You could leave her home with a babysitter.

It must be me but if my parents could have ever afforded to take me on a cruise, I would have been grateful and enjoyed spending time with them. But then my dad died during my freshman year of college so I didn't have him past my 18th year anyway.