Shopping w/the Chef ???

chefchick

We are really looking forward to our first Seabourn cruise this May, 10-DAY IDYLLIC RIVIERAS AND SPAIN onboard the Legend. One of the activities I am most looking forward to is the opportunity to shop with the Chef. For those of you who have sailed this itinerary, do you know which port the chef "usually" chooses for a shopping day? I know it might differ from cruise to cruise, but I am starting to plan excursions, etc and I do not want to pre-pay for a tour that might conflict. Any experiences that you can share would be appreciated.

Yours is a new itinerary, so I don't think anyone can answer with certainty. However, I have been on three Seabourn cruises in the Western Mediterranean and from looking at the itinerary, the Shopping with the Chef will most likely be in Barcelona, especially since you're there for two days (not at all a bad thing!). Cannes is the only other possibility, though remote.

I suggest the first you do when you board is go to the purser's desk and tell them that you want to be included whenever and wherever shopping with the chef will be, and for them to notify you as soon as they know. These are very limited in participation so if you wait too long it may fill up.

Don't set yourself you to be disappointed if it is not offered on your cruise.

On a 16 day cruise over the holidays Shopping with Chef, Caviar in the Surf or the Marina was not offered. Don't know who make these decisions.

Willoguy,

What ship were you on?We were on the Quest over the holidays and shopped with the chef in Barbados, had caviar in the surf/beach bbq in Isla Catalina, Dominica and instead of a marina day from the ship we had a marina day from the beach in St Lucia. And actually we were scheduled for anothe BBQ in Mayreau but due to choppy seas it was cancelled and we had a Galley Lunch instead.

We went shopping with the Chef in Barcelona in September while on the Legend. We loved it as the market was once of the best that we have been to in a long time. He made sure that we sampled a variety of items plus he took time to explain how to purchase the freshest seafood. It was a lot of fun. As far as booking tours in advance we have never had a problem getting onto a tour once we were on board. I am not sure what their present cancellation policy is for excursions.

Willowguy,

As I recall your cruise went through the canal? If so your chef shopping would have been in Panama City and of all the shopping with chef excursions I have been on that was my least favorite.In any event I am sorry you missed out on those fun Seabourn events. Maybe on your next Seabourn cruise?

We went shopping with the chef from the Quest in Dubrovnik September, but it wasn't great - which wasn't the chef's fault, but it was Saturday and the fish market was pretty dire - the first stall we saw was disgusting! He did managed to buy some fresh sardines, but they didn't seem to make it onto any of the menus! That was just bad luck, and I would still sign up for this again.

Archived