Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Come on Greg. Read the link. It's not me saying it, it's COSTA!

I brought the link here so people could see what COSTA said.

I did not mean "you" individually but everyone when I stated "I think that you need to start questioning the statements come out of Costa." I apologize if it came across wrong.

My understanding of the event is that he didnt impact the Aida but through the speed he was moving his ship the wash caused damage to it. A large vessel travelling at the speed indicated would give some wash.

regards

:)

That is my understanding as well. They submitted the report of the incident as evidence in the Italian court proceedings.

I just hope that (ex) Capt. Schettino has a conscience and that he is spending all of his waking and sleeping moments thinking and dreaming and agonizing about all the grief and trauma and damage and deaths and loss of property and possible environmental damage that his stupidity has caused. Not to absolve Costa, which probably bears a lot of responsibility for hiring and retaining such a moron in a responsible position and, very possibly, condoning his actions.

I just hope that (ex) Capt. Schettino has a conscience and that he is spending all of his waking and sleeping moments thinking and dreaming and agonizing about all the grief and trauma and damage and deaths and loss of property and possible environmental damage that his stupidity has caused. Not to absolve Costa, which probably bears a lot of responsibility for hiring and retaining such a moron in a responsible position and, very possibly, condoning his actions.

Your right!

But in addition, there is probable cause to believe that Costa:

Authorized AND/OR knew of & condoned the sail by salute AND may have been complicit in making the delayed abandon ship order.

I did not mean "you" individually but everyone when I stated "I think that you need to start questioning the statements come out of Costa." I apologize if it came across wrong.

Could not agree more that statements by Costa/CCL are highly suspect. They are in major damage control mode and are only out to save their butts at this point. Perhaps what any large corporation would do. But, none the less, I don't think we can take their statements as open and forthcoming for sure.

Costa Concordia captain had crashed before

Damaged luxury liner in 2010 while sailing too fast into German port

This is pretty lacking in detials and the statement that Costa sent him a letter telling him of the damage inplies that is may have been to another vessel and would be very minor if not known until then.

You really need some details and reports to case cause and blame on this one.

AKK

This is pretty lacking in detials and the statement that Costa sent him a letter telling him of the damage inplies that is may have been to another vessel and would be very minor if not known until then.

You really need some details and reports to case cause and blame on this one.

AKK

Someone posted a link to the official incident report in pdf form that was submitted as evidence in another forum that shows more details. I am trying to dig it up.

"You really need some details and reports to case cause and blame on this one."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/ipad/concordia-captain-had-2010-crash/story-fn6ck55c-1226287913037

Is that a quote from the article? Because I am not finding it in the article.

I find the following quotes below from the article of interest. I have not seen the full emails that were submitted in evidence. The official report of the incident submitted at the port that has been posted elsewhere is very dry and seems to indicate that wake from Atlantica, which was exceeding designated speed in the port, caused damage to the Aida Blu. Of course, the official report does not touch on any internal discipline or rebukes at the employers.

In another letter referring to the Costa Atlantica incident and dated October 11, 2010, Mr Schettino's superiors at Costa Crociere said he could have avoided the accident had he "showed greater attention and knowledge of the documents that regulate navigation."

In the excerpt of the letter, also published by La Stampa, Costa Crociere also reprimanded Mr Schettino for "ways and tones of communication not in line with those of our company," noting how he had used "inappropriate tones," with the captain of the Aida Blu.

According to La Stampa, the letters are in possession of prosecutors in Grosseto who are leading an investigation into the Costa Concordia's sinking.

Your right!

But in addition, there is probable cause to believe that Costa:

Authorized AND/OR knew of & condoned the sail by salute AND may have been complicit in making the delayed abandon ship order.

You're right too -- I think Costa may have done this also.

I don't know how many people here remember the MS Sea Diamond accident that happened about 5 yrs ago at the Greek island of Santini....there were a lot of similarities.....supposed uncharted rocks that ripped open the ship.....ship capsizes......difficulty evacuating the ship....in the Sea Diamond case they actually took it to deep water to let it sink! 2 people were killed....passengers sued.....the contracts came into play....this is an interesting article that goes into all that and shows how difficult it is to successfully sue a cruiseline:

http://news.yahoo.com/insight-laws-leave-cruise-ship-victims-sea-061402645.html

If all for legal representation for the passengers and also the crew over the Costa Concordia incident but I was shocked when I saw a legal firm had created a 'website' just for the Costa Concordia people.......

Is this taking things to a new level?

http://www.costaconcordialegaladvice.com/

Davy

Great comment but how about changing it to: "Lifeboat Chasers" ? :eek:

"You really need some details and reports to case cause and blame on this one."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/ipad/concordia-captain-had-2010-crash/story-fn6ck55c-1226287913037

With all due respect and considering the medias highly questionable reporting on this casulity in general,a few lines on a reported *leaked documents but no documents* is far from the complete story.

AKK

It just gets better and better.....talk about rats leaving a sinking ship......

The officers appear to be throw knives in the back of the Captain......

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/mar/03/costa-concordia-captain-coastguards

What an interesting article! Other officers seem quite justified in their "throwing of knives into the back of Schettino"

It just gets better and better.....talk about rats leaving a sinking ship......

The officers appear to be throw knives in the back of the Captain......

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/mar/03/costa-concordia-captain-coastguards

Is it within the realm of possibilities that the officers are simply telling the truth??

Brother and sister who worked on Concordia and Allegra back home with mum.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/brother-and-sister-who-both-worked-751546

At last, I think we have found the common thread/cause of problems on Costa ships. They are "Jonah's". Does this mum have any other children out on Costa cruise ships? :D

On a serious note it is good to hear her children are home safe and sound.