Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Get rid of whom ?

You came onboard a little late, Davey. The captain's, officer's, dancer's and cruise lines' guilt or innocence had already pretty much been DECIDED and argued to death by the end of January on these threads.(and the ones that are now gone)

I sense you may be a little disappointed that Carnival/Costa is recovering from this tragedy very well. Learning from the 1Q report, that Carnival's bookings are UP from the same period last year and that most of the huge losses predicted by this catatastrophe were covered by insurance may be unsettling to you, but most cruisers are happy for both lines and wish this incident to be resolved in a fair and equitable manner for all parties.:)

Hello there gl,

Are you sure about that 1st. quarter report?....Carnival has admitted that Costa was down 35% and overall thier lines were down 10%. I would expect that to have improved some since the sinking..but still lower then last year and no where near up!......By chance is there a link?

Just my opinion, I always expected carnival Corporation to survive, but the reports in the industry don't show *recovering very well*.....yet!

AKK

Here in Florida a lot of the A/C copper thieves have gone eco-friendly.

Instead of just ripping out the copper coil, they first puncture the line and inhale the refrigerant.:eek:

Nice of them to think of the environment.:D

How nice of them to think of the environment when they're trashing your A/C unit. :rolleyes:

This is dated the 18th Mar and is from one of the companies who has put forward a bid to deal with the Costa Concordia.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/321370

They believe that they can lift her complete however it is going to cost in the region of $100m, as yet Costa are still undecided how to proceed.

Smit, who are presently removing the fuel from the Costa Concordia is a subsiduary of this company.

rgds

This is dated the 18th Mar and is from one of the companies who has put forward a bid to deal with the Costa Concordia.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/321370

They believe that they can lift her complete however it is going to cost in the region of $100m, as yet Costa are still undecided how to proceed.

Smit, who are presently removing the fuel from the Costa Concordia is a subsiduary of this company.

rgds

I don't believe anyone has said that she couldn't be floated......Its a matter of $$$ and time and safely.

But even if she is floated, shes never going sail as a cruise liner again.......for all the resons previously discussed.

AKK

Just looked on AIS for the Silver Shadow and she is now in Hong kong. Havent looked back on earlier track as I dont know appx times. It appears to be another hit for Italian ships......Concordia, Allegra, Gelio M and now this one.....

rgds

:)

Hello there gl' date='

Are you sure about that 1st. quarter report?....Carnival has admitted that Costa was down 35% and overall thier lines were down 10%. I would expect that to have improved some since the sinking..but still lower then last year and no where near up!......By chance is there a link?

Just my opinion, I always expected carnival Corporation to survive, but the reports in the industry don't show *recovering very well*.....yet!

AKK[/quote']

From Carnival's 1st QTR 2012 report:

Revenues for the first quarter of 2012 increased to $3.6 billion from $3.4 billion for the prior year.

First quarter 2012 results reflect Costa Concordia incident expenses of $29 million, including a $10 million insurance deductible related to third party personal injury liabilities. During the first quarter of 2012, the company also recorded an insurance recoverable of $515 million (€384 million), which offset the write off of the net carrying value of Costa Concordia as the ship has been deemed to be a constructive total loss.

Tonka, I guess maybe you were referring to the "health" of COSTA, whereas I always look at the health of the holding company, in this case, CARNIVAL. A lot of people aren/t aware that these HUGE LOSSES were covered, at least to a high percentage, by insurance. The report goes on to show a bleak picture for CARNIVAL's ships in Europe, which I assume also means COSTA. European cruising in general is experiencing slow bookings, but the general overall picture for CARNIVAL is very good, IMHO (based on projected future bookings and occupancy rates). Sorry if I mislead you. They report they will NOT have to borrow any money and this with 10 new ships coming out in the next 4 years, is quite amazing to me.

Carnival's stock price Jan.12th $35.14 and just now $32.81 with much of this decline, IMHO, a result of the European economy. RCL's stock for this same period $29.52 up slightly to only $30.75.

Another poster has linked the Quarterly report (I pulled mine from a pdf file). That poster is dmwnc1959 and he/she posted the link in post #569.

Edited by glrounds

16:05 20 MAR 2012

(AGI) Grosseto - The former captain of the ill-fated Costa Concordia cruise liner, Francesco Schettino, is supposedly writing a book and his memoirs, which is expected to be referred to in court. The book will also reconstruct the tragedy of the ship that capsized on Jan. 13 at the island of Giglio. The book is supposedly going to recount relations with his officers. Part of one chapter is going to be dedicated to his 24-year-old Moldavian dancer girlfriend, Domnica Cemortan.

An American publishing company has supposedly interested in publishing his story. . .

http://www.agi.it/english-version/italy/elenco-notizie/201203201605-cro-ren1057-costa_concordia_captain_writing_book_and_his_memoirs

(AGI) Grosseto - The former captain of the ill-fated Costa Concordia cruise liner, Francesco Schettino, is supposedly writing a book and his memoirs, which is expected to be referred to in court. The book will also reconstruct the tragedy of the ship that capsized on Jan. 13 at the island of Giglio. The book is supposedly going to recount relations with his officers. Part of one chapter is going to be dedicated to his 24-year-old Moldavian dancer girlfriend, Domnica Cemortan.

An American publishing company has supposedly interested in publishing his story. . .

http://www.agi.it/english-version/italy/elenco-notizie/201203201605-cro-ren1057-costa_concordia_captain_writing_book_and_his_memoirs

I wonder if his book will have a center fold photo? :D

I wonder if the Italian legal system allows you when you are in prison to keep proceeds from a book you wrote about the crime you committed? Shouldn't this money go to the victims?

I wonder if the Italian legal system allows you when you are in prison to keep proceeds from a book you wrote about the crime you committed? Shouldn't this money go to the victims?

You never know what they allow or don't allow in Italian prisons, after all it IS ITALIA. :D

I wonder if they allow conjugal visits with the wife AND mistress(es)? :p

Doubtless his 'book' will be a work of fiction.... a 'Romance'?

If he writes it fast, maybe using a ghostwriter, and they rush it to press before he's convicted of anything (picture a cheapo mass market paperback full of typos, whose pages immediately begin to yellow :rolleyes:), I'm guessing he would be entitled to pocket the royalties.

Then the families of the victims could file civil suits to get at the money, like Fred Goldman did to OJ Simpson.

At this stage of the proceedings, I can't imagine any good coming from him putting anything on paper. He must desperately want the money.

If he writes it fast, maybe using a ghostwriter, and they rush it to press before he's convicted of anything (picture a cheapo mass market paperback full of typos, whose pages immediately begin to yellow :rolleyes:), I'm guessing he would be entitled to pocket the royalties.

Then the families of the victims could file civil suits to get at the money, like Fred Goldman did to OJ Simpson.

At this stage of the proceedings, I can't imagine any good coming from him putting anything on paper. He must desperately want the money.

I don't know about Italy but in the US most states have "Son of Sam" laws that take proceeds a criminal earns for selling the story of his / her crime and gives them to the victims of the crime or to a victims' compensation fund.

Not sure if a publishing company can advance book funds to Schettino directly or if the monies have to be placed in some sort of escrow account.

I don't know about Italy but in the US most states have "Son of Sam" laws that take proceeds a criminal earns for selling the story of his / her crime and gives them to the victims of the crime or to a victims' compensation fund.

Not sure if a publishing company can advance book funds to Schettino directly or if the monies have to be placed in some sort of escrow account.

Yes, I wondered about that, too. But, public opinion aside, is he considered a "criminal" yet if he's only been charged, but not convicted?

And if he gets the book out before his conviction, can they seize the royalties retroactively?

It seems to me there's no way he'd be writing a book right now if he didn't think he could profit from it. Otherwise, what's the point?

Unless maybe he plans to use it as a bargaining chip in getting a lighter sentence. "Look, judge, I wrote this book by the sweat of my brow so I could give ALL the proceeds to the families I wronged. So how about knocking a few decades off my sentence?"

'Tis a puzzlement.

From Carnival's 1st QTR 2012 report:

Revenues for the first quarter of 2012 increased to $3.6 billion from $3.4 billion for the prior year.

First quarter 2012 results reflect Costa Concordia incident expenses of $29 million, including a $10 million insurance deductible related to third party personal injury liabilities. During the first quarter of 2012, the company also recorded an insurance recoverable of $515 million (€384 million), which offset the write off of the net carrying value of Costa Concordia as the ship has been deemed to be a constructive total loss.

Tonka, I guess maybe you were referring to the "health" of COSTA, whereas I always look at the health of the holding company, in this case, CARNIVAL. A lot of people aren/t aware that these HUGE LOSSES were covered, at least to a high percentage, by insurance. The report goes on to show a bleak picture for CARNIVAL's ships in Europe, which I assume also means COSTA. European cruising in general is experiencing slow bookings, but the general overall picture for CARNIVAL is very good, IMHO (based on projected future bookings and occupancy rates). Sorry if I mislead you. They report they will NOT have to borrow any money and this with 10 new ships coming out in the next 4 years, is quite amazing to me.

Carnival's stock price Jan.12th $35.14 and just now $32.81 with much of this decline, IMHO, a result of the European economy. RCL's stock for this same period $29.52 up slightly to only $30.75.

Another poster has linked the Quarterly report (I pulled mine from a pdf file). That poster is dmwnc1959 and he/she posted the link in post #569.

Sir I made a error, I was referring to bookings.........35% down.etc........not revenue. Since the booking are mostly future earnings,it will be reflected later.....

I am sure Carnival will bounce back...........Costa.....maybe,maybe not!

AKK

Yes, I wondered about that, too. But, public opinion aside, is he considered a "criminal" yet if he's only been charged, but not convicted?

And if he gets the book out before his conviction, can they seize the royalties retroactively?

It seems to me there's no way he'd be writing a book right now if he didn't think he could profit from it. Otherwise, what's the point?

Unless maybe he plans to use it as a bargaining chip in getting a lighter sentence. "Look, judge, I wrote this book by the sweat of my brow so I could give ALL the proceeds to the families I wronged. So how about knocking a few decades off my sentence?"

'Tis a puzzlement.

Another possibility... maybe.

Could he put the money put into a trust for his daughter?

This guy adopted his girlfriend in order to try and save his ass(ets.) :rolleyes:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/01/man-adopts-girlfriend-_n_1247607.html

From Marine Traffic AIS, note that it does not show the ship track to where it is said to have hit rocks nor any speed between 15 and 1 knot!

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?oldmmsi=247158500&zoom=10&olddate=1/13/2012%209:02:00%20PM

@ sidari

Marinetraffic is missing position updates for more than 30 minutes?!

Check the link below, this track is based on recorded AIS data by AISLIVE:

http://www.qps.nl/display/qastor/2012/01/17/20120117_stranding

The reporting interval for ship based AIS transponders is speed/course related and is as follows:

0-14 knots 10 seconds

0-14 knots and changing course 3.3 seconds

14-23 knots 6 seconds

14-23 knots and changing course 2 seconds