Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

I would think that there would be two vastly different re-float approaches depending on whether the plan was salvage or scrap.

If they want any kind of salvage they would take a less aggressive approach.

If all they want to do is re-float for a trip to Alang India, then it is as "simple" as welding plates to above the water line areas allowing water in. Then maybe a little more substantial welding of plates over the breech below the waterline.

Then pump like crazy and start the floating process. Anything that gets the ship started upright will greatly ease the re-float.

If they don't worry about structural damage needing repairs, it should be a faster operation. If they worry about scratching the paint, they could be there for years.

Carnival Corporation may get paid for the ship, but I think it was purchased with borrowed money, and depreciated. So it's not like they would come out ahead based on depreciated value. They would probably break even at best.

I do not share an abiding love affair for old ships.

I consider them a mode of utility transport (not the mythical "Lady") that are built and replaced on a schedule

depending upon their current ability to meet their purpose at a current efficient cost.

The old SS Norway was an "ocean liner", not a "cruise ship" that was built for passenger transport

-not passenger holidays with an extremely high crew/passenger cost ratio

and, like an old pet, needed to be "put to sleep."

As for the Concordia, if the insurance underwriters conclude that the ship is a total loss, so be it.

I believe the last thing that should occur is the refloating, rebuilding, and refitting of a ship, out of misguided nostalgia,

that runs the risk of putting future passengers and crew in harms way.

In my view, a ship is nothing more than steel, wood, and plastic that has a useful purpose

and should be scrapped and melted down and used to create a new and useful thing

when it can no longer fill its original purpose 100%.

Couldn't agree with you more! ;)

People attach far too much sentimentality to silly stuff.

Take QE2 for example.

There are Cunard People out there...ready to (talk about) preserving QE2 as a Museum, etc.

Restoration at untold co$t, they reckon.. :D all because they cannot get to grips with the mortality of their favoutite ship!

They almost want/neeeed a religion based on QE2,

when the fact of the matter is that she's such an old dump now that not even Carnival Corp. saw fit to keep her!

Get over it! It's a freakin ship: nothing more, nothing less!

Couldn't agree with you more! ;)

People attach far too much sentimentality to silly stuff.

Take QE2 for example.

There are Cunard People out there...ready to (talk about) preserving QE2 as a Museum, etc.

Restoration at untold co$t, they reckon.. :D all because they cannot get to grips with the mortality of their favoutite ship!

They almost want/neeeed a religion based on QE2,

when the fact of the matter is that she's such an old dump now that not even Carnival Corp. saw fit to keep her!

Get over it! It's a freakin ship: nothing more, nothing less!

Ever been on QE2 doing 29 knots through foggy seas?

Ever been on QE2 doing 25 knots through force 10 seas?

How many "freakin" passenger ships can do that?

Answer: Only one other one- Queen Mary 2.

Lou Betti

I notice that you include a photo of the Regal Empress in your signature. Two of my first three cruises were on the Regal Empress and opened my mind and heart to cruising.

But, if I knew then, what I know now, I would have booked a different ship, cruise line and cabin. Like a man looking back and remembering coming of age when he discovered girls and his first love, knowing he has outgrown childhhood and now knows what is really important.

John

Edited by Uniall

I totally agree.....these old ships take a spirit unto themselves. I really don't care if some don't understand that......after all everyone has their opinion.........but I see the S/S United States in her hayday.........doing 40 +/- knots in the north atlantic, she was a beauty.....most of these ships today can't even come close to her or the other classic liners.

I do agree that most of the modern ships are basicly just floating las vegas type buses, bring people on cruises.......transportation and little more.. I don't include the Cunard, DCL and some of the HAL vessels in this.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

Not intended to create a debate or create ill will but only in the interest of making sure the casual reader/lurker understands there are differing personal opinions, I'd like to comment.

I do not share an abiding love affair for old ships. I consider them a mode of utility transport (not the mythical "Lady") that are built and replaced on a schedule depending upon their current ability to meet their purpose at a current efficient cost.

The old SS Norway was an "ocean liner", not a "cruise ship" that was built for passenger transport not passenger holidays with an extremely high crew/passenger cost ratio and, like an old pet, needed to be "put to sleep."

As for the Concordia, if the insurance underwritters conclude that the ship is a total loss, so be it. I believe the last thing that should occur is the refloating, rebuilding, and refitting of a ship, out of misguided nostalgia, that runs the risk of putting future pasengers and crew in harms way.

In my view, a ship is nothing more than steel, wood, and plastic that has a useful purpose and should be scrapped and melted down and used to create a new and useful thing when it can no longer fill its original purpose 100%.

John

The same could be said of many of the grand old hotels around the world. Something newer and safer could be built instead. Something closer to 100% of the original purpose. Poppycock!! I cruised on the Norway and enjoyed it far more than some of the other tacky Vegas style ships. Beauty and maximum use is often in the eyes of the voyager.

I have to agree with the old salts on the board, the loss of the ship, an incredible creation of man and nature, is just another tragedy to pile onto this whole sad chapter.

The same could be said of many of the grand old hotels around the world. Something newer and safer could be built instead. Something closer to 100% of the original purpose. Poppycock!! I cruised on the Norway and enjoyed it far more than some of the other tacky Vegas style ships. Beauty and maximum use is often in the eyes of the voyager.

I have to agree with the old salts on the board, the loss of the ship, an incredible creation of man and nature, is just another tragedy to pile onto this whole sad chapter.

Well, you won't get an argument from me! :)

These new "tin ships" as I refer to them may be floating resorts, but I'm just happy with a deck chair on the boat deck, cocktails before dinner, and good food and service in the dining room.

Both QE2 and Regal Empress gave me that.

However, I've never had a bad cruise on any ship. Dinner in the Olympic restaurant on Millennium was perhaps one of the finest dinners I have ever had anywhere.

Do you see the apparent intolerance in your comment when you use the term "poppycock" when referring to someone with a different opinion?

The reality is that the vast majority of travelers prefer a modern hotel with modern amenities to a Grand Dame hotel that is a faded memory of past glory. The same is true for Cruisers.

The number of people who agree with you enough to "put their money where their mouth is" are a small minority of travelers and cruisers. I don't believe that makes you wrong, just a member of the minority. But, some of your cohorts believe that we are just plain wrong because (as indicated by "aplmac") it's almost a religion to them.

John

Edited by Uniall

Do you see the apparent intolerance in your comment when you use the term "poppycock" when referring to someone with a different opinion?

The reality is that the vast majority of travelers prefer a modern hotel with modern amenities to a Grand Dame hotel that is a faded memory of past glory. The same is true for Cruisers.

The number of people who agree with you enough to "put their money where their mouth is" are a small minority of travelers and cruisers. I don't believe that makes you wrong, just a member of the minority. But, some of your cohorts believe that we are just plain wrong because (as indicated by "aplmac") it's almost a religion to them.

John

Being a cruiser makes you a minority as well.....since the vast majority of the world has never stepped foot on a cruise ship. You're just a part of a minority that doesn't care about the history of cruise ships....indeed it sounds as though you don't care much about history at all. But there are a few of us out there that respect and care about historical ships.....vehicles of all sorts...buildings.....furniture....etc. You're entitled to your interests or lack of interests and we are entitled to ours. There's this old rusting ship sitting in Philidelphia right now called the SS United States that is the largest ocean liner ever built here in the USA and still holds the speed record for crossing the Atlantic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_United_States

There's one or two of us out there that would love to see it restored and brought back to its glory for generations to enjoy as a floating museum....but no doubt you'd rather just cut it up and make something "more modern" out of it...maybe some really nice silverware or chank link fence or something. At any rate.....I don't see where there's anything historic about the Concordia other than this tragedy. I doubt anyone would put up a fuss if they decide to tear it up and build something "more modern" out of it.

Being a cruiser makes you a minority as well.....since the vast majority of the world has never stepped foot on a cruise ship. You're just a part of a minority that doesn't care about the history of cruise ships....indeed it sounds as though you don't care much about history at all. But there are a few of us out there that respect and care about historical ships.....vehicles of all sorts...buildings.....furniture....etc. You're entitled to your interests or lack of interests and we are entitled to ours. There's this old rusting ship sitting in Philidelphia right now called the SS United States that is the largest ocean liner ever built here in the USA and still holds the speed record for crossing the Atlantic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_United_States

There's one or two of us out there that would love to see it restored and brought back to its glory for generations to enjoy as a floating museum....but no doubt you'd rather just cut it up and make something "more modern" out of it...maybe some really nice silverware or chank link fence or something. At any rate.....I don't see where there's anything historic about the Concordia other than this tragedy. I doubt anyone would put up a fuss if they decide to tear it up and build something "more modern" out of it.

I'm tired of the flaming of people with different opinions on these threads. After all, they are not facts, not history, just opinions. I don't think some one is wrong if they disagree with me. Their opinion is just as valid for them as mine is for me.

My interest in the Concordia is to prevent more lives lost in the future. The newer and safer the better.

Whatever happens to the SS United States should depend on how many wallet votes are cast. I could care less either way.

John

Edited by Uniall

I'm tired of the flaming of people with different opinions on these threads. After all, they are not facts, not history, just opinions. I don't think some one is wrong if they disagree with me. Their opinion is just as valid for them as mine is for me.

My interest in the Concordia is to prevent more lives lost in the future. The newer and safer the better.

Whatever happens to the SS United States should depend on how many wallet votes are cast. I could care less either way.

John

I agree. We all have our opinions, and everybody is entitled to them.

To my thoughts to the topic, I think the history of a ship is irrelevant. The fact remains that hard work has gone into producing this ship, and there are those (such as myself) who find it sad that it has gone to waste with this disaster. It may not be a grand old ocean liner with an illustrious past, but it is a ship nonetheless.

Also, newer doesn't necessarily mean safer in this case. Concordia is only 6 years old, and the Costa Fascinosa, in the same class which is being built currently will be made to the same safety standards as Concordia was 6 years ago.

[quote

Also, newer doesn't necessarily mean safer in this case. Concordia is only 6 years old, and the Costa Fascinosa, in the same class which is being built currently will be made to the same safety standards as Concordia was 6 years ago.

I would not say that is necessarily correct. Too my limited knowledge, it would be Lloyd's (the insurers) that have the greatest say in the standards required, also there are International standards and the standards of the country of registration of the vessel.

I do stand to be corrected on the above. Regards.

John

Not to stress, Johnl. its not a really disparaging term. Has roughly the significance of "Bolderdash" or for Americans, probably, "Hogwash". Its not a particularly insulting term, used more to mean I COMPLETELY DISAGREE WITH YOU(a much politer way to express it, maybe). I understand what you are saying, however.

I"m sort of in BOTH camps. I love ships of all types and ages. I also love cruising very INEXPENSIVELY on "floating hotels". Get to travel from one interesting port to another very safely while sleeping, gambling, drinking and dancing. What could possibly be wrong with that?:confused: I would never have been able to afford to cruise the "classy ole gals" some of these posters are talking about. But you must understand also, its a passion for them and they, I'm sure, always enjoy discussing these old classics with someone who has a similar interest and love.

Incidentally, I wouldn't place a high value on a Captain who thought it prudent to run 29 knots in fog though. :D (but what do I know?)

Today's Repubblica news:

The special commissioner Franco Gabrielli announced the arrival of the Rov, a tool that will monitor the areas of the ship where the divers can not reach.

http://firenze.repubblica.it/cronaca/2012/03/11/news/per_esplorare_la_concordia_arriva_il_robot_telecomandato-31369714/

Not to stress, Johnl. its not a really disparaging term. Has roughly the significance of "Bolderdash" or for Americans, probably, "Hogwash". Its not a particularly insulting term, used more to mean I COMPLETELY DISAGREE WITH YOU(a much politer way to express it, maybe). I understand what you are saying, however.

I"m sort of in BOTH camps. I love ships of all types and ages. I also love cruising very INEXPENSIVELY on "floating hotels". Get to travel from one interesting port to another very safely while sleeping, gambling, drinking and dancing. What could possibly be wrong with that?:confused: I would never have been able to afford to cruise the "classy ole gals" some of these posters are talking about. But you must understand also, its a passion for them and they, I'm sure, always enjoy discussing these old classics with someone who has a similar interest and love.

Incidentally, I wouldn't place a high value on a Captain who thought it prudent to run 29 knots in fog though. :D (but what do I know?)

Gary

I didn't think, for one second, that the term "poppycock" was used to disparage my opinion. I believe it intones an of intolerance of opinions which are counter ones own opinions. It indicates that one opinion is right and the other is wrong. Both opposing opinions may be right for each individual, as in the old saw: "there's more than one way to skin a cat".

John

Now...hang on a bit --don't get yer knickers all in a twist just yet! :)

The release said...

Carnival Corporation will receive the insurance proceeds and underwriters will dispose of her.

..which means that Carnival Corp. will get a (very welcome) check for a few million bucks

and then the underwriters will dispose of their new possession in whatever manner they see fit.

Whether this is a quick trip to the breakers yard or not remains to be seen.

The underwriters/insurers might sell her off to some outfit to be reconditioned and converted

into a coal-carrier for all we know!

If we see her being chopped up in situ, we'll know her end is near

but even that may not be.

It's not impossible that they chop off all her superstructure

so they can easier refloat the bare hull itself to be towed away somewhere.

Again, only time will tell

but at least we know Concordia has been "written-off" as far as Carnival and the insurers are concerned.

She may yet live again in some other morph.

Just heard on the local (Australia) media that Carnival Corp will "write off" the Concordia as a total loss and receive a $515 million dollar insurance payout.

I'm guessing that won't build a new "Concordia" but it will sure help make Carnival Corp's balance sheet look a lot better after reporting recent losses.:rolleyes:

We need to await the 'release' of information from Carnival, not doubting your credibility but the press that reported it could have picked it up from anywhere, they might even have seen it discussed here and decided to go with it.

With so mething as big this I would expect Carnival to confirm it very quickly otherwise it could damage their 'profit' margins (Not that itsnt hasnt been hit already). Speculators could end up losing through their shares too !!

We need to await the 'release' of information from Carnival, not doubting your credibility but the press that reported it could have picked it up from anywhere, they might even have seen it discussed here and decided to go with it.

With so mething as big this I would expect Carnival to confirm it very quickly otherwise it could damage their 'profit' margins (Not that itsnt hasnt been hit already). Speculators could end up losing through their shares too !!

That information was officially released by Carnival Corporaton in the Quarterly Report.

This from their corporate home page:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9MTMwMTI0fENoaWxkSUQ9LTF8VHlwZT0z&t=1

From here under Recent News:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-index

Edited by dmwnc1959

Its now two months since the Costa Concordia hit the shoreline of Giglio after the rogue Captain tried to perform a 'sail-by' which culminated in the death of 32 persons.

We have seen some work being done on her, the removal of the fuel, however there is still a lot to be done to remove her from her present position. As yet there is still no concrete word on what is intending to happen to her, various speculation, but it is looking more and more like 'disposal'

I have noticed that there has been a marked decrease in the postings over the incident , the abandoning of the ship and the various aspects afterward. I for one do not wish to leg it cool down for Costa/Carnival as I feel they need to have a constant reminder of what they are responsible for, this should be maintained until the final outcome of the court action against, the Captain, any other officers and that of the Costa Management who I feel may be just as responsible for this disaster.

We should not forget those who lost their lives, especially the 5 year old child, we should make sure that all those responsible are aware that we have not forgotten

Regards

:)

A recent press release regarding the Cruise Industry......

The last paragraph is Carnivals, bookings down in Europe and ok in USA.....

While European bookings have lagged, those among U.S. passengers have picked up again, said Carnival Cruise Lines President and Chief Executive Gerald Cahill.

"If you look at the volume of our bookings we had taken since the beginning of January through the end of February, we actually had more bookings this year than we did last year, and those bookings we took are at slightly higher prices than we did last year," Cahill said.

"It really has not been draconian at all ... I think the industry will weather this in the United States. I don't think we will get back as much pricing probably as we otherwise would have if this hadn't occurred and I think as we move into the future here we will continue to get stronger."

Unquote

This needs to be a constant reminder of the Concordia until at least the end of the legal action, we must not let them off lightly